Choose Slot option kicks you out of the seat

Vakarian

When you are in SP mission with Client slots or any MP mission, if you go to menu and select "Choose slot" you have good chances that you're gonna get kicked out of the seat.

Procedure goes like this. You start the mission, then select one slot and get in the cockpit. Now, if you go to menu and accidentally (most of the times for me) click on "Choose Slot" option. From this point on you cannot click "Back" or "X" in top right corner. Both of those selections will kick you out of the seat. Only option you have is to select the same slot you selected before to remain in the cockpit.

This is not so hard in this demo scenario, but imagine you are in crowded MP session, you see that some of your keybindings are not working. You quickly go to menu to change them and missclick the option "Choose slot". Because this is not what you wanted, you will most likely click on "Back" or "X". I bet you are going to be annoyed when you are booted out of your seat 1-2 hours into your flight... 

Video describing the issue:

I see two options to fix this:

1. Implement some sort of mechanism that will check if you are already in the seat, so clicking on "Back" or "X" does not boot you out in this case
2. Add a warning dialog saying that you will be kicked out of the slot unless you select correct one in the selection screen

I would prefer the first option to be implemented, but even the second one will lower the frustration as the end result will/could result is staying in the cockpit.

TakeControlBug.trk TakeControlBug.miz

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Vakarian said:

Implement some sort of mechanism that will check if you are already in the seat, so clicking on "Back" or "X" does not boot you out in this case

Yes, please. There should be a way to cancel/back or just leave the slot.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 1 month later...

@Flappie @BIGNEWY 
Hey, sorry to tag you guys, but I wouldn't want this to get lost in the forums pages without even getting off-the-bat estimations is something like this plausible or not. I have no idea how complex this is to implement in the current codebase, but if this could get looked at by any dev and decided is it worth the time or not would be really nice. At least then I know should I hope for something like this in the future or just learn to be extra careful on clicking.

• Like 1

• ED Team

I will mention it to the team. 

However if you wish to remain in the same slot you should select that slot again. 

Clicking back or the X in the top right will take you back to coalition choice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Yeah, of course. That's all I can ask for 🙂

While I do understand that I have to select the same slot again, that is not really intuitive in the heat of the battle. What is instinctive that if I opened a window I didn't mean to, I either "X" it or press cancel and that will unfortunately kick me out of the seat. Not a "game breaking" issue, but a rather one annoyance that happens with clicking something fast without thinking. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Vakarian said:

What is instinctive that if I opened a window I didn't mean to, I either "X" it or press cancel...

Yep, that is logical choice known from years of using Windows and other windowed systems that this is the action that does nothing, cancels any changes and just closes the window. This however changes in newer systems when there are no usual OK, Apply and Cancel buttons - the X button just closes the window, while any changes were already made instantly when chosen by the user.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 1 year later...

I've just found this the bad way as well... Back should not kick you out of the current seat. It is a serious UX problem. I clicked the Choose Slot accidentally instead of Adjust Controls - and as I had the mouse in my hand already, I naturally clicked Back. If I press the Escape key, no problem. Why is Back doing something different than Escape? It may make sense before you choose any slot, but not when you are already in one. There should be a clear cancel button (call it back or not) and another one clearly labelled such as Leave slot or Choose Coalition, anything that sounds "dangerous" enough 🙂 - perhaps even with a confirmation to get out of the seat (but that is not such a big deal if the label and function are clear).

Sad end to my evening, next time I'll try to be more careful. But UI should not be misleading, especially when better alternatives are quite obvious.

Edited by virgo47
  • Like 2

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube