A Campaign für the Dora...please!

kotor633

Hello@all,

Is it so or am I wrong? Does Dora have a bad reputation in DCS World? Is she more or less ignored? Or am I wrong? I just think it's a shame because the Dora is, in my opinion, the best WWII module in DCS. I'm surprised that there isn't a single pay campaign for this module yet. The Kurfürst and the Anton each have one, we don't need to mention the Spitfire, there's even one for the P-47D & for the P-51D something like that. I myself have the Spitfire and the Dora. I also have a pay campaign for the Spitfire. But she just doesn't appeal to me.

I would like to thank you in advance for useful contributions.

• Like 2

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

Try a user campaign, here is a very nice one:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315254/

it needs the channel map, but no ww2 assets.

This one is also a very good one, but you would have to edit each mission and replace the bf109 with a fw190D .. it is for caucasus, but requires the ww2 assets pack:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3314088/

• Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Major problem with Dora is it had "bad press" for quite a time due to a really hard to find bug with the engine. That bug was squeezed finally a few patches ago, but even being corrected now the module has aged a bit badly since it wasn't the best 3D out there quite from the beginning (I personally and several other people around here fought and managed to change a few things with it, but not enough, comparison with Anton is quite obvious quality wise). I love Dora, it's a nice aircraft, she flies quite well and it's a perfect match against P-51 (which is why it was chosen in the first place by ED), but since RRG infamous kickstarter happened and it overlooked what was already there with regards to planeset and all (P-51 and Dora only) the rest of the planeset and map choices weren't really fitting for the Dora, everything related to the RRG thing was quite off to start with, clearly seen now in retrospective. Normandy map, Spit IX, Me109K4, P-47 (without model clarification), all of that is nice and very welcome WWII stuff, but quite a bad choice from Luthier (kickstarter handler) from the beginning. It shows poor choices related to pass simulators and ways to manage the sim not suited for DCS at all, he clearly didn't understand what DCS was about and it's goals as a simulation.

Anyhow, we are now set with what we have, and the thing is Dora is a hard match in this environment. Yes, it's a nice aircraft, of course historical which is not the problem. Problem is we don't even have a map where Dora really operated in the dates it did operate (September '44 onwards, Germany mostly, after all it was mostly a defensive fighter). It makes no sense over Normandy (P-51D probably neither, but the differences between B and D are less notorious, compare on the contrary Anton with Dora… K4 is off either, but mission makers can make it work with/without MW50 and things like that). Now, the engine bug is squeezed but I guess it takes time for people to gain confidence again with flying the Dora (online specially).

And about campaigns, the problem is probably not that much it should be a kind of what-if ones, in the end most of the campaigns we have are, but campaign creators had no time since engine bug was found and fixed to start thinking on using the Dora again as any other aircraft available. If we're lucky in due time campaign creators might release something for Dora, hope so. As you can see a lot has happened with Dora and WWII stuff in DCS (and it's only a hint here 😅) and maybe it's only now it starts to settle, at least a bit, so the best you can do now is use it, enjoy it, and await for campaign creators to start making things for it at some point.

• Like 2

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

At least if we could get updated sounds for Dora, right now even if i can fly it with aged 3D model, the sound engineering sounds very very old when i compare it to P-51 sounds or spitfire or K-4, i won't even mention new modules. For me Dora at current state is just meh.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Even if they enhance Dora sounds, to be fair, that Jumo 213 sounds like an old tractor anyway 🤣 .

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2022 at 12:54 PM, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Even if they enhance Dora sounds, to be fair, that Jumo 213 sounds like an old tractor anyway 🤣 .

Jumo 213 sounds very good, on youtube there is some recordings dora running engine

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Yes, there is, exactly one video featuring Dora 13 running. It sounds like an old truck 🤣 .

13 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Yes, there is, exactly one video featuring Dora 13 running. It sounds like an old truck 🤣 .

2 still a lot more then K-4 sound 😛

It sounds rough because wasn't fired long time.

Edited by grafspee

5 hours ago, grafspee said:

2 still a lot more then K-4 sound 😛

It sounds rough because wasn't fired long time.

Bf 109 DB sounds like an old scooter, check any of the in cockpit videos on YT and you'll see how it does. In DCS I believe they used a more gentle sound than that since that old scooter sound takes all the appeal out as the alleged ultimate fighter it's supposed to be 🤣 .

1 minute ago, grafspee said:

@Ala13_ManOWar I don't know what scooters do you have in your country, but in my country scooters old or not does not sounds like DB605 at all.

🤣  I'm remembering typical 80's ones for sure.

• 2 months later...

The thing is with inverted engines, the exhaust comes out below the cockpit/pilot, and are very much more quiet/not as loud in the cockpit, as say a Merlin or Allison. There is an interview with Gunther Raul where he speaks of this. He said that of all the WWII aircraft he flew, the 109 was one of the most comfortable. He said it was a very stable gun platform, as he just leaned over on the cockpit wall to see through the gunsight. He said the P-51 was the best fighter, but also the loudest, to the point of fatigue.

• Like 1

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 1/6/2023 at 10:29 AM, Reflected said:

Know this, they are great however we still need from You campaign for Dora even if no Germany map ;). I think the winter Caucasus could be ok, as Germany's southern defense, something near the border with Italy or in Balkans opertions. 💪

https://omniatlas.com/maps/europe/19441224/plain/

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro