Winwing F-16EX review

Reflected

Don't have a YT account, so posting here. As far as the suctions cups, they are highly dependent on what kind of surface you have. Smooth plastic, wood-like sticker on MDF or OSB, metal, glass, no problem. Solid wood surface, like my desk, it didn't hold at all. Of course, it was too tall to put on my desk, anyway, and a proper side mount (could potentially move it to center if I wanted) is so much more ergonomic. My take is, if the cups don't hold for you, get a mount. If they do, get one anyway. 🙂 Well worth it, especially since I went DIY instead of Monstertech, a bunch of 2060 extrusions and printer filament aren't that expensive, and cheap Chinese clamps hold just fine for me.

Changing the TDC to a hat is pretty easy, just toggle mode in SimAppPro (don't need to keep it running after you set it up). I have both buttons and an axis (at the same time!) on just about every axis on my Winwing throttle. It expands the number of switches if you're flying something that doesn't need as many axes as their throttle provides. 

Deadzone you can set in axis settings, in SimAppPro. Click "dead zone setting" and uncheck "device default". It'll let you customize it to your liking. You can pull it down to zero if you like. It's not designed for this (unlike the Libra), and I use the default deadzone, but I suppose if you drive the Spit a lot you can try reducing it. One thing about the stick is basically zero breakout force to move it, I prefer a small deadzone so that I don't kick my autopilot off every time I touch it. But then, I mostly fly modern jets.

Edited by Dragon1-1
  • Thanks 1

hace 3 horas, Reflected dijo:

It says the video is private

te, can´t see it

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

4 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Don't have a YT account, so posting here. As far as the suctions cups, they are highly dependent on what kind of surface you have. Smooth plastic, wood-like sticker on MDF or OSB, metal, glass, no problem. Solid wood surface, like my desk, it didn't hold at all. Of course, it was too tall to put on my desk, anyway, and a proper side mount (could potentially move it to center if I wanted) is so much more ergonomic. My take is, if the cups don't hold for you, get a mount. If they do, get one anyway. 🙂 Well worth it, especially since I went DIY instead of Monstertech, a bunch of 2060 extrusions and printer filament aren't that expensive, and cheap Chinese clamps hold just fine for me.

Changing the TDC to a hat is pretty easy, just toggle mode in SimAppPro (don't need to keep it running after you set it up). I have both buttons and an axis (at the same time!) on just about every axis on my Winwing throttle. It expands the number of switches if you're flying something that doesn't need as many axes as their throttle provides. 

Deadzone you can set in axis settings, in SimAppPro. Click "dead zone setting" and uncheck "device default". It'll let you customize it to your liking. You can pull it down to zero if you like. It's not designed for this (unlike the Libra), and I use the default deadzone, but I suppose if you drive the Spit a lot you can try reducing it. One thing about the stick is basically zero breakout force to move it, I prefer a small deadzone so that I don't kick my autopilot off every time I touch it. But then, I mostly fly modern jets.

Thanks so much, that solved my deadzone problem and now I can use the little slew stick as a 5 way hat. Awesome!

• Like 1

Thanks for the review, Ive got my few days ago. One thing i don't understand, the vibration electronics seems to be in the grip addon, while motor itself is in the grip body. If i disconnect the extension also the shaking stops.  Thanks for the warning regarding lua files, I have noticed a small drop in VR, however I will take a look if this lua can be rewritten differently and what are the bottlenecks. Where i see the benefit of vibration is in example if you are in high G, just to warn you not to break the wings.

I have been using Microsoft FF2 for over 20y, and unfortunately a month ago its motherboard died (after some research between VKB, Virpl and WW I decided to buy WW F16 as it looked like best all around). But flying for that long with trimmable center (and also flying a real plane too) having a stick that self center with springs feels wrong (this would be the issue with other alternatives). You also tend to lift your hand from a joke and expect to find it in the same place. I plan to build a custom base for it based on Rhino  .   

Does anyone know if base is maybe compatible with Virpl warbird or F14 grips? 

• Like 1

AMD FX 8350 4.0Ghz, 16gb DDR3, MSI R9 390, MS FF2 & CH Throttle PRO, track IR 4 & Lenovo Explorer VMR