Some love incoming!

LordOrion
Go to solution Solved by Knock-Knock,

ED following through on their promises like usual!! So stoked about the totally revamped F-5 released in 2.8!!! Thanks so much! Oh wait.

On 10/8/2022 at 9:18 AM, Stratos said:

More info is needed, specially after that interview fiasco, what to expect in terms of 3d update (and that includes the damn HGU-2 helmet), new functionalities or weapons If any and FM department. And If it will cost money like the A-10 update and how much. That's what we need to know.

Don't think ANY of that is happening. This company blows more smoke up peoples asses than Joe Camel.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe it will appear in the '2023 and Beyond' video, and the update will be released at some point during beyond.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

• 3 months later...

Problem is, right now there are similar planes to the F-5E, but with better capabilities. Why to buy an F-5E if you can buy the Mirage F1, that has better avionics and more variety in weapons, including Fox 1 missiles? Probably ED haven't sold a single F-5E in months, so they have it almost as "abandonware".  

• Like 1

@Alba57 Hey, I bought it just in December! 🙂 The harsh reality is, if you haven't fallen in love with the airframe you should wrap up the dating.

For me, I got enchanted with F-5E and I'll be finalizing my potato simpit project to a usable state in the coming weeks, as I can't wait to fly this thing and I'm only building all those gizmos out of necessity.

Edited by Bucic
  • Like 1

I still love the F-5, only issue I still seem to have is how it spontaneously sheds its wings, especially when pulling out of a dive. Kinda hard to believe it's so delicate like that, because we'd have heard about beaucoup crashes due to wing snappage.

I'd love to have a fix for it, or even just a mod that fixes it, even if it wouldn't pass IC.

Wing rip wouldn't be so much of a problem if there was more feedback indicating it was coming.

Be very careful on the stick above 500 kias, especially when heavy with fuel (above half internal) and/or ordnance.

Edited by Sarowa

Yeah the problem is not that the plane is fragile, it's that it's trivially easy to pull 12g in a simulator, when in reality it takes a massive amount of stick force (like 50-60lbs). Just be careful if you're fast and you'll be fine.

It would be nice to have some sort of option to simulate pilot strength limits, so it's "harder" to pull at higher speeds, but I'm not sure how that would work. Maybe just reduce sensitivity away from center as speed increases? Not sure how well that would work, just thinking. Sadly I can't pay 10k for a realistically strong FFB stick.

7 hours ago, nairb121 said:

Yeah the problem is not that the plane is fragile, it's that it's trivially easy to pull 12g in a simulator, when in reality it takes a massive amount of stick force (like 50-60lbs). Just be careful if you're fast and you'll be fine.

It would be nice to have some sort of option to simulate pilot strength limits, so it's "harder" to pull at higher speeds, but I'm not sure how that would work. Maybe just reduce sensitivity away from center as speed increases? Not sure how well that would work, just thinking. Sadly I can't pay 10k for a realistically strong FFB stick.

Even without this kind of forces there are ways... Long stick arm, off-center neutral point. I encourage any fan to go through the thread I linked above, for educational purposes. Check out the spreadsheet I uploaded here https://forum.dcs.world/topic/318106-f-5e-simpit-cockpit-dimensions-and-flight-controls/?do=findComment&comment=5158854

23 hours ago, VZ_342 said:

I still love the F-5, only issue I still seem to have is how it spontaneously sheds its wings, especially when pulling out of a dive. Kinda hard to believe it's so delicate like that, because we'd have heard about beaucoup crashes due to wing snappage.

I'd love to have a fix for it, or even just a mod that fixes it, even if it wouldn't pass IC.

Don’t let the responses above mine fool you. The F-5 structural limits are modeled very badly. As an example, the Mirage F1 has very similar limits in its manual yet it is much harder to rip the wings off. At a minimum, the modeling is wildly inconsistent. Which one is more accurate? Well, the F-5/T-38 has been in service for decades and does not have any sort of a reputation for structural failure. You may draw your own conclusions from the available information. 

• Like 4

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2023 at 1:19 PM, Alba57 said:

Problem is, right now there are similar planes to the F-5E, but with better capabilities. Why to buy an F-5E if you can buy the Mirage F1, that has better avionics and more variety in weapons, including Fox 1 missiles? Probably ED haven't sold a single F-5E in months, so they have it almost as "abandonware".  

Because, a lot of people don't care about metas and air quake.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

On 4/9/2023 at 2:19 PM, Alba57 said:

The F-5E turns better than the Mirage F1, AFAIK. The F-5E also has much better visibility. It can land on a carrier in a pinch.

• Like 1