Torque from dead engine

FalcoGer
Go to solution Solved by FTV-Randy,

So this happened today in a rather lengthy multiplayer session (as such things usually do).

unknown.png

Apparently engine two is dead (it also had a hole in it when I looked at the external model). There was no fire indication, but the torque is at 98%, temperature is way up.

On the other hand, engine 1 was not dead. But it provides no torque, the temperature is way down there and it's overspeeding.

I should note that we did fly about 30km to a farp after this happened.

As I said, no track because long multiplayer session. Was on the syria map, it was about 40°C outside. At this point we had about 60% fuel and dropped the stores.

Pilot got a similar picture, with slightly different values for the torque. But still overspeed and engine out.

Also I'd like the quick action checklist to be populated on the right there.

Edited by FalcoGer

• Solution

Looks like some kind of FADEC failure, in this case, the system does not have data from the engine 2 and has no more control over it and it will run at the max power, you must set it manually (lowering down a little) the engine2 throttle to match the torque on the engine one and get back the rotor rpm to 101%

Edited by FTV-Randy
Text

3 hours ago, FTV-Randy said:

Looks like some kind of FADEC failure, in this case, the system does not have data from the engine 2 and has no more control over it and it will run at the max power, you must set it manually (lowering down a little) the engine2 throttle to match the torque on the engine one and get back the rotor rpm to 101%

I guess that could make sense. But shouldn't that generate a DECU failure message? I don't think we got something like that.

Edited by FalcoGer

Yep, almost every significant battle damage to the DCS Apache appears to result in some kind of FADEC failure on one engine which manifests as failed sensors/incorrect readings, and the requirement to manually manage the throttle. It seems it easier to cause this failure in the current damage model than to actually kill the engine completely (which I currently have not seen at all, only the low RPM state you observe here).

I had the same failure happen to me again. I conclude that the engine might be stuck at max power, the other engine thus being near idle. Then I was messing about and something quite amazing happened as well. I was dumping the collective, and of course the rotor sped up. Then I was slamming the collective up again and the sudden force appeared to have snapped the drive train on that engine (supposedly at the design failure point). I heard an audible bang and suddenly the engine indication for engine 2, the one that was previously on full power, went to 0 and engine 1 torque went up to 130%, giving a proper single engine condition. So I suppose this is not a bug.