Extreme unstable on rudder/torque while taxing...

TZeer

So, I modded my virpil pedals with a damper and took of the springs. This way I don't have to recenter my rudderpedals between trimming. 

Yes, I also changed the settings in DCS to pedals without springs etc.

Here is the kicker. I'm able to fly around, go into hover and all that jazz, but when landed and trying to taxi down the runway, helicopter is a complete "ass".
Slight inputs on the rudder/torque to turn makes the whole tail to kick out, try and counter it with a slight touch, and it overshoots like crazy. Makes it impossible to taxi either out on a runway or back to parking after landed.

I'm also seing some strange behaviour with the SCAS on the torque. When collective is completely down, no hand on stick, and everything is centered, I can see the green indicator for the SCAS is working. It's not enought to make the chopper turn. But any input on rudders make the tail kick out, trim release pushed or not.

Is this normal? I know it's WIP, but the way it behaves on the ground is just crazy.

if i taxi i only turn on the Tailweel for turning, keep it looked as much as possible.

Im on 23% coll when taxiing. The tail is very sensitive i do movements only in 1 or 2 cm steps, also i recenter(move my feet) the pedals after every imput, also dont overspeed in turns. try to get down to about 4-6 knots, for that works good.

The torque problem i cant explain, havent noticed that 🙂 but i will check in my next flying session 🙂

The yaw SAS channel (from my POV anyway) is broken and has been since launch. It AMPLIFIES every movement you make, and takes quite a long time before it slowly trends back to functioning as a damping effect. I've got the same pedals and with 80% saturation applied the amount of real pedal movement I use when taxying is about +/- 5mm at most. I actually tried to video the pedal movements for a youtube video but they were impossible to actually see in the video. You aren't alone. The best thing to do to learn is just desaturate the pedal axis to 60-80%. Some people also find a curve helpful.

• Like 1

I have had some saturation on it, but not much. And It has not been to much of a problem while flying. Although it is quite sensitive I have been able to fly, hover etc.

But on the ground it's just mental, I guess they'll come around to fix it sometime.

I will try to add even more saturation on it, and see if it helps.

I posted somewher this solution, it works for me, is a little dificult to change my muscle memory to pus down instead of push only but works perfect for me, now I am capable to control the beast more accurate .

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

Thank you for the idea @firefox121, I tried it but wasn't for me.

But I think I have come up with a solution. I increased the stiffness in the damper. I thought it would be best with minimum restriction. But that made the normal "stickiness" from the cylinder very dominant on small corrections. Increasing the restriction made the "stickiness" go away and much easier to do fine adjustments. 

Will have to do until they adjust the FM.

Edited by TZeer
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It is OK for me.

MAD movement on the dolly trolly rear wheel, it is 360 degrees rotation on that rear wheel when it is free to move, the rear of the airframe follows that wheel perfectly.

Control is via the pedals only and it needs to be precise, for sure it is a "WHOAAAA" moment!

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

On 6/18/2022 at 2:06 AM, Grennymaster said:

if i taxi i only turn on the Tailweel for turning, keep it looked as much as possible.

Im on 23% coll when taxiing. The tail is very sensitive i do movements only in 1 or 2 cm steps, also i recenter(move my feet) the pedals after every imput, also dont overspeed in turns. try to get down to about 4-6 knots, for that works good.

The torque problem i cant explain, havent noticed that 🙂 but i will check in my next flying session 🙂

That's interesting. Because I find that if UNLOCK tailwheel, I am unable to lock it for rest of mission

The ground friction modelling for the tail wheel isn't great either. You will often see it dragging along the aground sideways at like 5 kts. I think it's some thing where DCS considers the Apache to be 'flying' at 30% torque, even though that's your taxi torque.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Swift.:

The ground friction modelling for the tail wheel isn't great either

Wasn't there something mentioned in WW2 area  that the tail wheel intentionally got more/less (don't know exactly which direction) friction to compensate for the lack of feeling in the simulation? this also affects the friction here?

24 minutes ago, Hobel said:

Wasn't there something mentioned in WW2 area  that the tail wheel intentionally got more/less (don't know exactly which direction) friction to compensate for the lack of feeling in the simulation? this also affects the friction here?

The main wheels of the warbirds have less friction. The tail wheel of them put up a lot of resistance when you try to drag them perpendicular to their locked alignement. 

Maybe in the case of the AH-64, its hopefully just WIP. 

Edited by razo+r