Mission 2 manpads

• 1 month later...
2022/6/18 PM3点49分,Ablomis说:

I don't get how to evade manpads in mission 2.

If the missile is launched, no matter what I do (pull turns + drop flares) it ALWAYS HITS.  Literally not a single time it missed.

What am I doing wrong?

Generally, the maximum attack height of MANPAD is not more than 10000 feet, so it is the safest to maintain a sufficient height. If it is necessary to lower the height, remember to complete and disengage quickly, and when the height is reduced, throw the flares at a certain interval.

In addition, if you confirm that you have been attacked by MANPADs, you must reduce the throttle valve, and then throw a larger number of flares, which can greatly increase the probability of cheating missiles.

Never increase the throttle valve (afterburning), which will make your infrared signal more obvious and easier to be hit.

• 3 weeks later...

What worked well for me is looking for tracers on the ground from above 14000ft, then designating that point on the ground with HMCS, confirming with the TGP video that there's infantry there, rolling in at a very steep angle, launching my rockets at max range, and pulling away at about 3000ft, then effecting an equally steep climb in the direction of the installation. I used military power and launched preemptive flares during all this but was never even launched at when flying that way. Could even use afterburner for a steeper climb, this is vastly more effective than flares at defeating MANPADS, since they can't physically hit you. This whole thing happens so fast that the missile can't catch up.

Of course, it also requires some skill to pull off and not augur in, since, as mentioned, you're coming in pretty steep. The pullout direction is also important, if you're flying away from the launcher, there's not a whole lot he can do. That's generally a good tactic if you have to take it down in a high threat environment. Go in steep, go out steep and towards the friendlies, and don't fly too straight.

We have programmable chaff and flares, so it'd be nice if some programs were set up for each mission. Bypass mode is not ideal, a quick burst of flares is better when you're actually launched at.