Potential for UK Content…

rkk01

As a major player in NATO throughout the Cold War…

with a reputation for top notch aircrew training, homegrown and European aircraft collaborations and a good few Red Flag scalps - there really should be a strong case for more UK (and Euro) assets in DCS. 

It helps our European Allies that there are really good devs in Europe, but are we really lacking the will or homegrown dev community in the UK…?

Security classification of older aircraft seems to be a hurdle whatever subject matter is considered - but with first hand experience operators getting older by the year I’d say now is very much the right time to get a selection of Cold War workhorses into DCS…

Where do we start?

Venom / Vampire, Hunter, Lightning, Canberra, Harriers, any Vs (although Vulcan always steals the limelight…), Buccaneer, RR powered Phantoms, Jaguar, Tornado, Lynx…

(and that’s a short list…)

Edited by rkk01
  • Like 5

The British aircraft I want the most as flyable modules 

Sea Harrier 

Phantom (a twofer pack of the M and K would be nice)

Buccaneer 

Tornado

Meteor

Vampire

Seafire

Come to think anything in the Korean war is a top item

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rkk01 said:

As a major player in NATO throughout the Cold War…

with a reputation for top notch aircrew training, homegrown and European aircraft collaborations and a good few Red Flag scalps - there really should be a strong case for more UK (and Euro) assets in DCS. 

It helps our European Allies that there are really good devs in Europe, but are we really lacking the will or homegrown dev community in the UK…?

Security classification of older aircraft seems to be a hurdle whatever subject matter is considered - but with first hand experience operators getting older by the year I’d say now is very much the right time to get a selection of Cold War workhorses into DCS…

Where do we start?

Venom / Vampire, Hunter, Lightning, Canberra, Harriers, any Vs (although Vulcan always steals the limelight…), Buccaneer, RR powered Phantoms, Jaguar, Tornado, Lynx…

(and that’s a short list…)

Fully agree with your list there - a Canberra would be wonderful! It’s a shame the Buccaneer that was being worked on privately a while ago came to nought, that showed real promise. A Victor would be really nice as a refueller. 
Here’s hoping eh?

• Like 3

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

Jaguar, Buccaneer and UK Harriers would be great but more realistically the Hunter and Canberra will be doable. A Lynx would be awesome for Choppas.

• Like 2

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

I might be wrong, but it seems to me that the DCS community focuses a lot either on WW2 props, or semi modern versions of 4th gen jets with very little in between.

Most of the planes you mention fall on that first/second/third gen fighter jets bracket that doesn't get much love at all.

Then again, if DCS were to get a bigger player base, maybe by becoming more user friendly, getting better UI, better performance, better new user experience.. maybe at that point more developers would find it profitable to build the niche planes you mentioned. One can only hope, right?

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 8:42 AM, 𝓥𝓲𝓵𝓮 said:

I might be wrong, but it seems to me that the DCS community focuses a lot either on WW2 props, or semi modern versions of 4th gen jets with very little in between.

Most of the planes you mention fall on that first/second/third gen fighter jets bracket that doesn't get much love at all.

Then again, if DCS were to get a bigger player base, maybe by becoming more user friendly, getting better UI, better performance, better new user experience.. maybe at that point more developers would find it profitable to build the niche planes you mentioned. One can only hope, right?

While it has been true that the DCS community has been wanting more WW2 and 4th gen aircraft. I have also being seeing the desire for more redfore aircraft to have more realistic balanced scenarios. But because of the lack of accessible documentation and legal reasons it has not been feasible to make more newer contemporary redfore aircraft. Which leads us into the next best thing which would be older cold war options.

Some of the older British jets would fit in nicely as redfore aircraft since they were used by several middle eastern countries like the Hawker Hunter.

0000069787.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/19/2022 at 7:42 AM, 𝓥𝓲𝓵𝓮 said:

I think taking the time to do 1st through 3rd generation might help build the user base. I expect the Phantom will prove me right. I do agree with the other staments though 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Evoman said:

Some of the older British jets would fit in nicely as redfore aircraft since they were used by several middle eastern countries like the Hawker Hunter.

I’d love to have a Hunter on DCS, operated by 22 air forces around the world, and participated in lots of conflicts, probably the most iconic british fighter of postwar,  I’d purchase it on a heartbeat 👍

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

8 hours ago, Evoman said:

While it has been true that the DCS community has been wanting more WW2 and 4th gen aircraft. I have also being seeing the desire for more redfore aircraft to have more realistic balanced scenarios. But because of the lack of accessible documentation and legal reasons it has not been feasible to make more newer contemporary redfore aircraft. Which leads us into the next best thing which would be older cold war options.

0000069787.jpg

The hunter would be awesome.

Tornado is the real wish, but doubtful to see that ever happening, maybe hoping after 2027...:grin:

So, the only one possible is, EE Lightning, SEPECAT Jaguar and finally, the Hawker Hunter. Jaguar would be great! And all these three are FULLY retired, except for the Jaguar used by the IAF. 

15 hours ago, jojyrocks said:

Tornado is the real wish, but doubtful to see that ever happening, maybe hoping after 2027...:grin:

So, the only one possible is, EE Lightning, SEPECAT Jaguar and finally, the Hawker Hunter. Jaguar would be great! And all these three are FULLY retired, except for the Jaguar used by the IAF. 

Hunter and Lightning are both receiving some 3rd party attention…but anyone’s guess as to how far out.

Jag and / or a Tornado would be absolutely awesome… IndiaFoxtEcho are doing and Italian (?) IDS for civvysim. No word on whether they have plans to adapt for DCS though…

Edited by rkk01

• 1 month later...

Would love the Buccaneer... and to be specific, the S2.D variant please. Instant buy. It would give a decent run for the two other ground attack birds already present in the DCS arsenal. Furthermore, two new theaters (Falklands and Kola) would profit from a low level ground attack aircraft.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 2:42 PM, 𝓥𝓲𝓵𝓮 said:

I've counted DCS aircrafts, current and in development. It's 9 from WW2, 10 from 2000s modern-ish and 28 from the Cold War.

9 WWII aircrafts (Spitfire IX, P-47, P-51, Bf-109K, FW-190A, FW-190D, I-16, Mosquito) + (F4U-1)

10 aircrafts from 2005-2010 (F/A-18C, F-16C, A-10C, Ka-50, JF-17, AV-8B, AH-64D) + (Kiowa, EF, Strike Eagle)

28 Cold War from Korea to Desert Storm modules (MiG-15bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, MiG-21bis, F-5E, L-39, C-101, Mirage F.1, F-14A, Mi-24, Gazelle, Mi-8, Huey) + (Fiat G.91, MiG-23MLA, MiG-17, A-6 Intruder, A-7 Corsair, Bolkov 105, Sea Harrier, MiG-29A, Su-17, F-8 Crusader) + low fidelity A-10A, Su-25A, Su-27S, F-15C, MiG-29

There are also 2 originally Cold Wars aircrafts but in DCS modeled as variants from 1990s not fitting any category namely Mirage 2000 and AJS-37.

British aircrafts like Hunter, EE Lighting, Tornado, Jaguar or AI Victor, Vulcan etc. would be great.

Edited by bies
  • Like 1