Deck Crew Animation Variation

Tank50us

Now, before people start reaching for their pitchforks, hear me out...

The idea here, is to make the deck crew feel a bit more 'alive'. Basically, as we all know, humans are... well.... human. We don't do things exactly the same way with every action we take. For example, how often do you do something as mundane as opening your fridge the exact same way? Now you can see my point right?

So, what are some examples for DCS?

Well, one example would be the way the crew handles a launch. Such as the following:

• The 'Shooter' doing a 'gun firing' motion with his hand when he gives the launch signal.
  • Some of the crew giving each other high-fives when the plane launches (you won't see it, but who ever is behind you will)
  • The greenie that hooks you up trying (and sometimes failing) to 'combat roll' to pick up the hold-back bar. (this would be rare though)
  • The whole crew reacting to the ship when it makes a sharp turn (such as bracing themselves, or leaning against the ship as it turns like it was nothing)
  • Another rare one would be a white-shirt holding a hot-dog spike (complete with hotdog) to your engines when you go to full power (Meant as a Hot Shots! reference)

For landing, you could have the crew on the waist getting hammy as well, such as:

• Celebrating a good landing (think the one yellow in the Top Gun intro)
  • If you're all over the place, the crew on the waist cats scramble for cover (like... ya know... they would do in such a situation)

What do you guys think? Could you think of some amusing animations that could be added to the deck crew?

Also, while I'm at it... could we have an option to have some static 'kneeling' deck crew? It's kinda immersion breaking when they're just standing there with your wing about to plow through them.

• Like 5

I can think of some less amusing animations that should be added before ED could move to amusing things.

Everything that happens before the catapult and after trapping would be a good start 🙂 

37 minutes ago, Tank50us said:

It's kinda immersion breaking when they're just standing there with your wing about to plow through them.

I think they've mentioned that some "collision avoidance" logic is planned.

• Like 3

Dima | My DCS uploads

22 minutes ago, Minsky said:

I think they've mentioned that some "collision avoidance" logic is planned.

That's for the animated deck crew, I was talking about the statics that you can place down and use on Non SCM carriers to add some more flavor to the deck

Yeah, I'd like to see more of what they should do before the funny things. Waiting for taxi marshaling, startup, shutdown, arm/dearm, fueling...

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria