B.IV or B.IX

rkk01

OK, so I have raised previously, and yes the cockpit is different, and aiming would need to be sorted….

but c’mon… someone has opened the Cookies😮

Needs to be done.  Night time is coming.  ED, you can do this…

(Whispers - if there’s Upkeep, who fancies a game of Highball???)

Edited by rkk01
  • Like 1

To match our current WWII roster, the B.XVI will be the most appropriate model. You mentioned cookies… well this was the main 4000 lbs “cookie” carrier. 
Bomber Harris policy: if you’re going to commit war crimes - use the biggest bomb you’ve got!

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

On 6/19/2022 at 9:15 AM, Bozon said:

To match our current WWII roster, the B.XVI will be the most appropriate model. You mentioned cookies… well this was the main 4000 lbs “cookie” carrier. 
Bomber Harris policy: if you’re going to commit war crimes - use the biggest bomb you’ve got!

Or the “dangerous dustbin” as the crews apparently called it…

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Would the B.XVI version, with glass nose, employ a "Blackett" Mark XIVA (aka US-built Sperry T-1) bomb sight?  Would the bomb aimer/navigator/radio operator have two or three positions in the aircraft, then?  That might make a more interesting dual-crew (two players) aircraft.  Is the FB VI dual-crew right now?  If so, can that 2nd crewmember do anything more than just operate a simple radio and check 6?

4 hours ago, Andrew8604 said:

...can that 2nd crewmember do anything more than just operate a simple radio and check 6?

He's called a Navigator; clues in the name...

Try flying a 450 mile route Nap of the Earth at 250mph with multiple heading changes to mitigate the chance of interception and avoiding areas of known heavy flak concentrations, whilst adjusting for unforecast changes to wind strength and direction and recalculating the airspeed required to be over the target at the time you were briefed. Try making a GEE fix whilst you're dodging high tension wires, trees and industrial chimneys....

I'm serious, try it in DCS, I guarantee you'll have a very genuine and sudden appreciation for what a Navigator actually does in the FB.VI. 😉

No Icon On F10 map in real life.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, DD_Fenrir said:

He's called a Navigator; clues in the name...

Try flying a 450 mile route Nap of the Earth at 250mph with multiple heading changes to mitigate the chance of interception and avoiding areas of known heavy flak concentrations, whilst adjusting for unforecast changes to wind strength and direction and recalculating the airspeed required to be over the target at the time you were briefed. Try making a GEE fix whilst you're dodging high tension wires, trees and industrial chimneys....

I'm serious, try it in DCS, I guarantee you'll have a very genuine and sudden appreciation for what a Navigator actually does in the FB.VI. 😉

No Icon On F10 map in real life.

Thank you for the info.  Point well made!  I didn't realize all those things.  I've only tried the FB.VI a couple times, and that was a year ago. 

So, can the Mosquito FB.VI be DUAL CREWED in DCS?

All I remember from the back seat position is seeing the radio, and not knowing much about how it works.  I had never heard of a GEE fix.  Not a clue.  I searched it and found a YouTube video on a channel named The Radar Room.  It all sounds a bit Dippy, to me.  😉 I'll have to study it much more.  (Robert Dippy being the guy who invented it.)

Radio Direction Finding with the R1155 receiver:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POyFjwUZg_c

...and the GEE Navigation System here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycE3U8sGpW0

It looks fascinating.  But I don't see the oscilloscopes in the Mosquito FB.VI in DCS.  Are there radio stations to tune into on the Channel Map and Normandy Map?

I'm guessing the Navigator/Radio Operator obtained fixes and plotted them on a map to keep track of position, and then advised the pilot, over intercom, on the heading to take.

Screenshot 2024-01-12 222521.png

3 hours ago, Andrew8604 said:

So, can the Mosquito FB.VI be DUAL CREWED in DCS?

All I remember from the back seat position is seeing the radio, and not knowing much about how it works.  I had never heard of a GEE fix.  Not a clue.  I searched it and found a YouTube video on a channel named The Radar Room.  It all sounds a bit Dippy, to me.  😉 I'll have to study it much more.  (Robert Dippy being the guy who invented it.)

Radio Direction Finding with the R1155 receiver:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POyFjwUZg_c

...and the GEE Navigation System here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycE3U8sGpW0

It looks fascinating.  But I don't see the oscilloscopes in the Mosquito FB.VI in DCS.  Are there radio stations to tune into on the Channel Map and Normandy Map?

I'm guessing the Navigator/Radio Operator obtained fixes and plotted them on a map to keep track of position, and then advised the pilot, over intercom, on the heading to take.

Screenshot 2024-01-12 222521.png

To your first question, yes, in multiplayer you can have two breathers in one airframe, one pilot, one navigator.

To your second point regarding GEE, no the Mosquito in DCS is not equipped with the GEE receivers, primarily because it would be useless ballast without the radio net existing in the map to provide the signals for the GEE set to process and currently these are not present on the two ETO maps and ED have not indicated that there are any plans to add this functionality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, DD_Fenrir said:

… and do all that at night… 🙂

• Like 1

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

.....and still in your teens, having never even driven a car.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

If you want to try advanced radio navigation using the DF equipment in the Mosquito FB VI that we have, the Project Overlord multiplayer server has three tunable radio beacons. A skilled navigator can thus pinpoint your location anywhere on the Normandy map, any altitude, any time.

• Like 1

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

12 hours ago, Skewgear said:

If you want to try advanced radio navigation using the DF equipment in the Mosquito FB VI that we have, the Project Overlord multiplayer server has three tunable radio beacons. A skilled navigator can thus pinpoint your location anywhere on the Normandy map, any altitude, any time.

One of the best features of Project Overlord, given the hard-mode navigation they have.

Since I don’t have a navigator and tend to fly very low, fiddling with the radios too much gets my mosquito lodged in trees, houses, etc. I use the DF slightly differently: either flying along radials until I cross a geographic feature, or the opposite - fly along a geographic feature (or dead reckoning) and rotate the DF ring to an angle offset, so when the DF needles converge at the centerline it means I reached my waypoint. For the latter to have best results I need the DF beacon to be roughly 90 degrees off to left/right and multiple DF beacons on the map really makes this feasible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

On 1/13/2024 at 2:10 AM, DD_Fenrir said:

To your first question, yes, in multiplayer you can have two breathers in one airframe, one pilot, one navigator.

To your second point regarding GEE, no the Mosquito in DCS is not equipped with the GEE receivers, primarily because it would be useless ballast without the radio net existing in the map to provide the signals for the GEE set to process and currently these are not present on the two ETO maps and ED have not indicated that there are any plans to add this functionality.

So, it is multicrew!  Thank you.  ED should mention that in the Product description. 

GEE sounds like a possibility for a mod.  As navigator, I'd think it would be fun working the scopes and obtaining the fixes.  And a B.IV with glass nose and bomb aimer's (bombardier's) sight would be fun, too...especially if it could be made to work in VR.  Adding radio transmitters to a mission is pretty easy.  Could even make them play 1930's & 40's music.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2024 at 8:10 AM, DD_Fenrir said:

Yeah, I remember us discussing it before. Arguably with a map like Normandy now is, it really warrants inclusion. Even the FB MkVI as used by 140 group were fitted with it. One account describes them using it to find the French Coastline on Ramrod 564 (Operation Jericho). Even if its stimulated via an AI Navigator, arguably it warrants inclusion in the Mosquito at some point.

• Like 2