Anti-Icing stuff again

TheLongShanks

14 hours ago, AeriaGloria said:

Noticed this when pressing anti icing off button. They are currently re evaluating anti icing electronics and likely in the process of fully implementing it. So what you see is likely some WIP code that leaked in 

That much is known. I posted it because I hadn't seen anyone mentioning it, so I had no way of knowing if it was widespread, specific in some way, or a known issue. 

3 hours ago, TheLongShanks said:

I know! This was the first thing I checked. 

Tested, but it oddly works very different from Mi-8, not sure if intended or WIP 

In Mi-8 the right engine anti ice turns on automatically in auto mode. Same as rotor anti ice. You turn on left engine manually after ward. So to fully turn it on after warning that’s all you do, then to turn off completely you just turn left engine off and press OFF button to turn off rotor anti ice. 

In the manual for Mi-24P it is very simple. If temperatures are 5 degrees C or below, all anti icing switches are on at all times. It’s implicit that turning the AUTO/MAN switch to manual turns on rotor anti icing manually. So perhaps it does work the way it does in game, except that in automatic mode I couldn’t get it to anti ice rotors automatically, I had to switch it to MAN do get rotor anti ice indication. 

But hey, Atleast now, my engines are no longer damaged by the cold! Even if they have less power, it is consistent! 

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

On 6/23/2022 at 9:43 PM, AeriaGloria said:

Tested, but it oddly works very different from Mi-8, not sure if intended or WIP 

In Mi-8 the right engine anti ice turns on automatically in auto mode. Same as rotor anti ice. You turn on left engine manually after ward. So to fully turn it on after warning that’s all you do, then to turn off completely you just turn left engine off and press OFF button to turn off rotor anti ice. 

In the manual for Mi-24P it is very simple. If temperatures are 5 degrees C or below, all anti icing switches are on at all times. It’s implicit that turning the AUTO/MAN switch to manual turns on rotor anti icing manually. So perhaps it does work the way it does in game, except that in automatic mode I couldn’t get it to anti ice rotors automatically, I had to switch it to MAN do get rotor anti ice indication. 

But hey, Atleast now, my engines are no longer damaged by the cold! Even if they have less power, it is consistent! 

I also consulted the manuals and decided if following the real world manual the in game functionality would work as intended, but the behaviour on AUTO was not clear to me, as the flight manual states to switch to manual mode if icing conditions exist, from before to taxi to shutdown, iirc.

So what AUTO mode is supposed to do, and when I would actually use it, that remains unclear, just like real life. Working as intended. 

If you already know that you are in icing conditions at the startup you should turn the Anti Ice mode to Manual, and also turn on the Engines/DP and even Windshield (on low for the first 5min IRL). That way you shouldn't have any surprises on the take-off and climbing if your ice detector fail, the AUTO activation of the system fail or if the anti ice system do not respond as fast as it should for some reason.

If you know that you are not in an icing condition at startup there is no reason to waste engine power with anti ice and even damage, by overheating, the anti ice equipment. So you should leave the system in AUTO to assist you if you encounter a icing condition in flight. If for some reason the AUTO switch does not work when the ICING lamp turns on you would have to turn the system manually.

What is not clear for me is why the Anti Ice Dust Protection Anti Lamps, at the Anti Ice system Panel, turns on when you activate the Dust Protection switch near the left knee panel.

Edited by Quati
Corrected the time for switching Windshield Heater from LOW to HIGH as per Mi-35P manual

39 minutes ago, Quati said:

If you already know that you are in icing conditions at the startup you should turn the Anti Ice mode to Manual, and also turn on the Engines/DP and even Windshield (on low for the first 10min IRL). That way you shouldn't have any surprises on the take-off and climbing if your ice detector fail, the AUTO activation of the system fail or if the anti ice system do not respond as fast as it should for some reason.

If you know that you are not in an icing condition at startup there is no reason to waste engine power with anti ice and even damage, by overheating, the anti ice equipment. So you should leave the system in AUTO to assist you if you encounter a icing condition in flight. If for some reason the AUTO switch does not work when the ICING lamp turns on you would have to turn the system manually.

What is not clear for me is why the Anti Ice Dust Protection Anti Lamps, at the Anti Ice system Panel, turns on when you activate the Dust Protection switch near the left knee panel.

That’s what Shanks and I are saying, if you leave it in AUTO mode, and the ICING annunciator turns on, the rotors anti icing doesn’t start automatically. You can only activate it manually. 

Perhaps the Mi-8 method of having right engine be automatic and needing to manually do left engine was too much work/complicated and they decided to just always have it on below 5 degrees. 

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Didn't you get the Anti Ice On lamp with AUTO and ICING lit up at the warning panel when in Icing Conditions?

My bad! I understand now that we have more problems with AIS than I previously thought.

A couple things I notice about the current AIS system.

MAIN ROTOR Ammeter:

When we have the AIS on AUTO and get into icing conditions (by the ICING warning light) I got the ANTI ICE ON lamp but no amperage on the engines generators ammeter and on any of main rotor and tail rotor positions at the AIS check ammeter. So we don't have AUTO AIS system working yet, we have just a lamp turning on.

The Rotor Blades Sections lamps and the AIS Amp Meter, I only read that they should be on (one at a time) when performing the Anti Ice System (AIS) checks.

We should see 30A....45A. I measure 40A on all blade sections and all (1 to 4) annunciator lamps.

nullimage.png

TAIL ROTOR Ammeter:

The amperage from the Tail Rotor 2nd sections should be 20A...30A with the nº1 and nº3 annunciator lamps. We are measuring 30A with the nº1 and nº2.

nullimage.png

WINDSHIELD Ammeter:

Should be 15A...30A. We are measuring 5A and 10A (LOW/HIGH) on the AIS Check Ammeter.

null

DUST PROTECTION Ammeter and annunciator lamps:

The DUST PROTECTION ANTI ICE annunciator lamps only turns on with the DP switch and DP annunciator (front panel) ON. They are not linked with ENG & DUST/P LEFT/RIGHT switches.

With the ENG & DUST/P LEFT/RIGHT switches on and DP off, I got a measure of 45A (should be between 35A...50A) amperage at the ammeter with RH and LH ENG selected. It should read 0A and just see a increase in the engines temperature because of the Engines Anti Ice. That amperage doesn't show on the Engine Generators Ammeter.

With DP on and ENG & DUST/P LEAF/RIGHT switches off, I got the LEFT and RIGHT DUST PROT HEAT lights on but no amperage on the ammeter.

ENGINE Temperatures and RPM:

With DP off and ENG & DUST/P LEFT/RIGHT I got an uneven increase in engine temperatures, +35ºC at the right engine and +70ºC on the left. Also got a uneven RPM of +1% on the left and -1% on the right engine.

image.png

null

ENG & DUST/P LEFT/RIGHT switches:

I notice that on the Mi-24D manual from the Cold War Air Museum that those switches should have an AUTO/MANUAL ON workings and not a OFF/ON.

On the Mi-35P manual they should be OFF/ON, more like what we have in DCS.

image.png

Edited by Quati
add more info after more checks