Competitor to apache

ebabil

I think the hind is one of the best looking airframe ever. But its usage areas are very limited in modern war theaters. It can not detect incoming missiles with its useless rwr,  can not see threats in dark (even dusk). Can not dial a radio frequency etc. I hope there will be a more modern version of it in the future to deal with ah64 

For now I can use it in 4ya servers since the labels and f10 views are enabled. 

I know it is almost Impossible due to lack of documentation. But it is just a humble wish 

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

AH-64D's DCS competitor is Ka-50, not Mi-24. Mi-24's competitor would be more like AH-1 rather than AH-64D.

Both helicopters have quite different tactics for similiar missions.

For example, AH-64 was made for hovering and sending missiles off from safe distances, meanwhile Mi-24 is more up close and "personal", it needs speed, and more speed it has, more it is stabile, it's just how it was made. Don't hope too much for Mi-35M or something like that since Russians already have a direct counterpart to Apache and that's Mi-28 Havoc.

The only problem with Ka-50 (and even with upcoming BS3 version) is that it doesn't exist anymore, at least not in flyable state.

Helicopters don't fly, they just subdue the air.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, it is really a first generation attack helicopter until you get to Mi-35M

That being said it’s current combat ability could be greatly enhanced if ED dropped their pretense of modeling exactly like a Russian Mi-24P, and included the SPO-15 of export models. I am actually surprised they didn’t decide to use it as a test bed considering they are planning to remodel SPO-15 for the MiG-29 9.12 module in a more realistic way. It would be nice to get it as an upgrade down the road even if it is payed for. 

Another Older upgrade that would enhance its combat ability is the laser added in the windows of some Soviet P models in Afghanistan. However there is no pictures of this and perhaps no documentation, but it seems that it interfaces with auto CCIP making it so that you would remove the error caused by target height being different then height the radar altimeter sees, but that is an assumption on my part, as I see no other reason to integrate a laser range finder other then perhaps using it for ATGMs in a separate indicator for CPG. 

There is also the UPK-23-250 that is used by many export operators, but that would do less for increasing combat capability and be more of an option that many would appreciate. 

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

I agree that the Mi-24 isn't intended to be an Eastern bookend for the 64.

We're positioning the Mi-24P as a CAS platform in BSD. It's of course great at other mission roles as well, but nothing comes close to the Mi-24 for CAS.

There's lots of stuff the AH-64 can do that the Mi-24 just can't, but when it comes to CAS, the Mi-24 is just way out front in every regard.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

On 6/19/2022 at 2:49 PM, SmukY said:

AH-64D's DCS competitor is Ka-50, not Mi-24. Mi-24's competitor would be more like AH-1 rather than AH-64D.

100% this, though getting the even more direct equivalent, Mi-28, someday would be great. Not holding my breath.

The Mi-24P is indeed limited in modern theatres, because it's not a modern helicopter. Getting a more modern variant/upgrade package would be cool (I'd really love a Superhind Mk. IV or V, so ugly and cool), but it's also kind of like asking for the Romanian MiG-21 upgrade package (glass cockpit etc. by Elbit), because the normal Fishbed isn't viable in a modern theatre.

13 hours ago, jubuttib said:

100% this, though getting the even more direct equivalent, Mi-28, someday would be great. Not holding my breath.

The Mi-24P is indeed limited in modern theatres, because it's not a modern helicopter. Getting a more modern variant/upgrade package would be cool (I'd really love a Superhind Mk. IV or V, so ugly and cool), but it's also kind of like asking for the Romanian MiG-21 upgrade package (glass cockpit etc. by Elbit), because the normal Fishbed isn't viable in a modern theatre.

Pretty sure only the Mk III was made for Algeria. The company was eventually acquired by a company with close ties to Rosvertol, who shut down the whole operation. 

There other upgrades such as Mi-24PN and Cyprus version of Mi-35P, but those have shortened wings and fixed gear. I think Mi-35M started production in 2005 however and is now out of production being replaced by Mi-35P Phoenix. I don’t like that one becuase of the fixed gear and short wings🤣 but that’s just me 

Get good at Mi-24P, and as ancient as it is, as long you use it smart, you will have a lot of fun as long as the enemy doesn’t have a SAM net you have no hope against. 

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2022 at 4:04 PM, fargo007 said:

I agree that the Mi-24 isn't intended to be an Eastern bookend for the 64.

We're positioning the Mi-24P as a CAS platform in BSD. It's of course great at other mission roles as well, but nothing comes close to the Mi-24 for CAS.

There's lots of stuff the AH-64 can do that the Mi-24 just can't, but when it comes to CAS, the Mi-24 is just way out front in every regard.

Can you explain what makes the Mi-24 superior in a CAS role to other helos?

15 minutes ago, SuumCuique said:

Can you explain what makes the Mi-24 superior in a CAS role to other helos?

Any helicopter can perform in this role, but the Mi-24 seems to just excel. The answer isn't in one thing, but the totality of capabilities....

The Mi-24 gets there faster.

It brings a tremendous amount of ordnance (as well as a wide variety of it) and puts it on target quickly, in an uncomplicated way.

It's well armored and takes a hell of a punch up close if it has to. 

It handles hard maneuvering (e.g. hammerhead, return to target) very well. 

The speed lets you extend faster for ATGM shots, and then get the nose back on target quickly.

It can carry a squad of QRF troops to assist if needed. Or RTB with a CASEVAC if that's called for.

Rocket and gun passes are conducted at a higher speed, and that makes you harder to hit, especially as you come out of the rocket/gun run and are turning away.

The Mi-24 gets back to base for more ordnance and gets back on station faster if needed.

---------------------------

Of course other helicopters can do a couple of these things just as well, or you could argue -  even better. 

But in the totality of all things CAS, no other helicopter seems to wrap up a CAS scenario in DCS as quickly and efficiently as the Mi-24, except of course a pair of them.

This is why the Mi-24 is used as a CAS platform in our squadron, and why we consider CAS to be a core mission of the airframe. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/