Option chooseable lift vector for canopies

I would love it if there was a selectable option for a canopy lift vector line, ( like in "the other sim") This would help immensely especially in 2d when doing BFM........

It seems a very simple thing, I wonder why none of the DCS modules have ever featured this? 

• Like 1

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

2 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

I wonder why none of the DCS modules have ever featured this?

Is it a realistic HUD element for these aircraft? If not then there’s your answer. 

• Like 2

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

14 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Is it a realistic HUD element for these aircraft? If not then there’s your answer. 

Well, BMS/ Falcon4 which is pretty much as study level as you can get has featured this for ever and I dont think with it being proposed as an option that it would be an issue?

Its by of compensating for the fact that with a monitors very limited FOV  and the limited resolution of current VR headsets, you are at a big disadvantage to the real world situation where its much easier to orientate the bandit to where you, you line of sight and the jet all are.......

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

19 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

It seems a very simple thing, I wonder why none of the DCS modules have ever featured this? 

Unrealistic. But there is a mod:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3314780/

So the scientists and pilots work years together to finally develop clear canopy without the bows on the Viper and then gamers come to request a line in the sim, smh.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

4 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

Well, BMS/ Falcon4 which is pretty much as study level as you can get has featured this for ever

Just because another sim has a game aid doesn’t mean DCS needs to. 

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

7 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Just because another sim has a game aid doesn’t mean DCS needs to. 

Ummmm....does DCS not have "Game mode" avionics as an option?????? Plus lots of other player assists such as labels, invunerability, endless fuel ...need I go on? Whats the difference? 

Thanks for the mod link Draconus

Edited by markturner1960
  • Like 1

Just out of honest curiosity, what would be the use of this line?

I suppose it could come in handy for 2D (non VR) users to have some sort of a reference as to where the nose of the aircraft is pointing. Then again, isn't your JHMCS giving you about the same information (and more)?

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

33 minutes ago, markturner1960 said:

Ummmm....does DCS not have "Game mode" avionics as an option?????? Plus lots of other player assists such as labels, invunerability, endless fuel ...need I go on? Whats the difference? 

Thanks for the mod link Draconus

So? Those are all “game” features not sim features of the aircraft themselves. Every game doesn’t need to have all the same features. 

• Like 1

My suggestion was precisely that, a “game” Feature option not a sim feature of the aircraft. If you don’t like it, simply turn it off…….anyway, this is a wish list , this is my wish! Why are you trolling it?

Sirrah,  try a dogfight in BMS using the lift vector and then one in DCS without it and tell me what you think…….it’s super helpful. 

2 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

So?

So it's entirely in line with what DCS is advertised and intended to be.

Just because other games have a feature doesn't mean DCS must at every cost avoid having it, no mater how much you personally hate such improvements.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

7 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

Sirrah,  try a dogfight in BMS using the lift vector and then one in DCS without it and tell me what you think…….it’s super helpful. 

I'd be willing to try, but is there another VR air combat flightsim out there with such a feature? BMS doesn't support VR, does it?

(I can only fly in VR, as my setup is not fit for 2D gaming)

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Ah yes, if you are VR only, then its tricky....I forgot about that. But I grew up with Falcon and BMS and when I started using DCS around 2 years ago, I realised how much help the lift line is when dogfighting in 2D . 

I genuinely dont feel its any kind of cheat, this is a deskbound PC simulation and you have find various ways to simulate the experience of real life. One of those is getting around having to effectively recreate dogfighting while looking through a letterbox !! In which circumstances its very easy to lose orientation when scanning the virtual sky....this really helps.

Edited by markturner1960

5 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

I genuinely dont feel its any kind of cheat...

It's fine if you want to stay at the same level playing SP. But if want to arise to be any competitive on MP you'll have to leave behind all the helpers.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I can sorta imagine why this was done in the other F-16 sim maybe to give you some visual reference to your own plane since the fully clear canopy can leave you with nothing to go off of. And PC sims leave you with nothing but vision as your feedback. But it seems like an old solution from an old game which likely predates wide screen monitors and head tracking. Today’s graphics can give you canopy scratches, textures and reflections for reference. Open cockpit planes can present the same issue and the solution there is just practice. Adding an option like this just creates another server-side gameplay aid setting. There’s enough of those already. 

13 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Adding an option like this just creates another server-side gameplay aid setting. There’s enough of those already. 

LMAO no. There are zero of those, and that's not nearly enough. 😄

We've been through this already — before you make these kinds of statements, you really need to learn how DCS options work and why (and also why it is absolutely impossible to have “too many” or “enough” of them). Again I have to ask why you are so dead set against allowing DCS to improve and become more accessible, customisable, and appealing. Why must it languish in an ever more backwards and obsolete design sense — are you actively trying to make it become outdated and dead, and if so why?!

Edited by Tippis

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

• 7 months later...

I would like to echo the request for some kind of optional thin reference/lift vector line above the canopy. Playing the F16 module it is very easy to loose reference when using the 2d cockpit and the hat switch to move your head. Real life obviously is easier because you know where your head is looking. In the sim not so much. Thanks!!