Korea the forgotten war

upyr1

Most ground assets could be handled by late WWII ones from the asset pack. That's literally what was in use Korea. Excluding MiG-15 and the Sabrejet, very little of the best tech of the time was used in Korea. We do need Soviet assets to match, and most of all, an appropriate map for the conflict. Particularly since Soviet WWII hardware was and sometimes still is used in the 3rd world countries (often but not always with upgrades), since they were big on exports and as long as it wasn't actual wartime production (which was notoriously shoddy due to quality over quantity approach they had to take), it was very reliable.

22 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Most ground assets could be handled by late WWII ones from the asset pack. That's literally what was in use Korea. Excluding MiG-15 and the Sabrejet, very little of the best tech of the time was used in Korea. We do need Soviet assets to match, and most of all, an appropriate map for the conflict. Particularly since Soviet WWII hardware was and sometimes still is used in the 3rd world countries (often but not always with upgrades), since they were big on exports and as long as it wasn't actual wartime production (which was notoriously shoddy due to quality over quantity approach they had to take), it was very reliable.

We need Red Army, navy and air force assets in the World War II asset pack and more first gen jets. 

25 minutes ago, cordite said:

Odd to keep seeing it referred to as such, or is it that people have forgotten the war has never ended?

In this case it is because Eagle forgets we have the F-86, F-51, MiG-15 , and a lot of blue assets from World War II but almost nothing for the Red ground forces. The documentary got the name because Korea is over shadowed by World War II and Vietnam. There a lot of people who only know about the Korean war from M*A*S*H*

• Like 1

The F-86F is certainly a nice module but lacks a suitable theater. I think ED should always consider this when introducing modules. There’s nowhere in the sim to realistically operate the Sabre or the MiG-15

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

28 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

The F-86F is certainly a nice module but lacks a suitable theater. I think ED should always consider this when introducing modules. There’s nowhere in the sim to realistically operate the Sabre or the MiG-15

The F-86 didn't leave service until 1994, so there's still scenarios where it could be present in a conflict, even if it's on the receiving end of a curb-stomp. And other than the USAF (the first user), and Bolivia (the last), the F-86 was used by.... well....
F-86_Operators.png

A lot of countries.... and oh look.... all of the maps in DCS are on this map!

Sure but the Korean War is obviously the best scenario for it. 

• Like 2

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

the Korean War is obviously the best scenario for it. 

I'd love to see a Korean War map that comes with a Korean War asset pack similar to the South Atlantic. There is the question of what to do with the WWII leftovers. A lot of equipment saw service in both wars.  I think the best option would be to let the asset packs overlap, then give people a discount for buying both. If we can't get a SA style bundle then I hope Eagle will work on the assets before the map.

3 hours ago, Tank50us said:

The F-86 didn't leave service until 1994, so there's still scenarios where it could be present in a conflict, even if it's on the receiving end of a curb-stomp. And other than the USAF (the first user), and Bolivia (the last), the F-86 was used by.... well....
F-86_Operators.png

A lot of countries.... and oh look.... all of the maps in DCS are on this map!

So we could have a mission on another map set in 1953 

Edited by upyr1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dragon1-1 said:

If it wasn't for the fact none of our modern maps look remotely like it is 1953, then yeah, probably.

Channel/Normandy technically fit that time frame if you want to do some alternate history and have the Cold War go hot in the 50's

Eh, you'd need a really bad screwup on part of the NATO for the Russians to get as far as the Normandy map. It would have probably gone nuclear at that point, although in the 50s the nukes, for most part, were small and still hauled by strategic bombers, so I suppose that kind of nuclear war wouldn't be of the "instant end of civilization" kind, though it'd still set humanity back at least a hundred years or so.

6 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Eh, you'd need a really bad screwup on part of the NATO for the Russians to get as far as the Normandy map. It would have probably gone nuclear at that point, although in the 50s the nukes, for most part, were small and still hauled by strategic bombers, so I suppose that kind of nuclear war wouldn't be of the "instant end of civilization" kind, though it'd still set humanity back at least a hundred years or so.

Potentially yeah, but how you create the scenario is up to you, but it's certainly not impossible to figure something like that out.

5 hours ago, Tank50us said:

Channel/Normandy technically fit that time frame if you want to do some alternate history and have the Cold War go hot in the 50's

We still need the period red assets. 

5 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

What Soviet strategic bombers? There is no Stalinist era Red Army at all in DCS except Lend Lease equipment

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2022 at 3:51 AM, Dragon1-1 said:

Not as much of a screw up as you'd think.  As a guy who spent time in the Fulda Gap (two tours) the GSFG and follow on forces were not something we wanted to face.  Our life expectancy was less than 72 hours....  

Sure, but there's still a lot of distance from Fulda Gap to Normandy, which is in western France. That's an awful lot of NATO land to go through. I have no doubt that Soviets would be capable of reaching France if everything went right for them, but them being around Normandy would basically imply they were able to sweep NATO out of Europe almost completely, except for Spain and the UK.

39 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Sure, but there's still a lot of distance from Fulda Gap to Normandy, which is in western France. That's an awful lot of NATO land to go through. I have no doubt that Soviets would be capable of reaching France if everything went right for them, but them being around Normandy would basically imply they were able to sweep NATO out of Europe almost completely, except for Spain and the UK.

We don't have period RedFor equipment apart from the MiG-15, so debating the chances of the USSR making it to Normandy are irrelevant. I'd rather have overloard:1954 with a lot of correct period aircraft than a propper Korean war of Fulda gap 1950s map without the assets. 

On 6/19/2022 at 7:17 PM, upyr1 said:

Not only was this the title of a 1987 documentary but it also describes the lack of period assets in dcs.

And it's also descriptive of the state of the MiG-15 and F-86's gunnery in game. 👻

• Like 1

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!