DCS:World SU-25T tutorial review

I've made the DCS:SU-25T Tutorial #1 review. To show what should be improved. I hope this will help improve the tutorials and so the new player's experince. I will also review all SU-25T tutorials but it will take a time.

- First of all, the tutorial should explain how to control camera on first place, how to zoom in, zoom out, recenter camera. IMO this is very important.

- The "hear like in helmet" MUST be turned on in "factory default" setting or the player will hear nothing what instructor says.

- The tutorial designer should turn off the wind in this mission or explain the source of beeping (AoA/Stall warning) which may confuse many new players.

- The tutorial does not count with built-in ATC comms. The messages like "not authorised to take off" may confuse the new player. The tutorial should include the ATC comms or at least say the player to ignore the ATC messages for this tutorial.

- In the briefing or right in tutorial should be mentioned the player should meet himself with manual first. The player must know the basic avionics and how to setup controls even before this tutorial.

- 0:40 The tutorial says we should wait 3 minutes but the design of tutorial forces the player to skip the waiting. Also in the manual is nothing about 3 minutes.

- 1:05 In my opinion the tutorial designer should add info for new players how to ensure the throttle is set to 0 - like: "Check the in-game throttle lever" or "press and hold the "-" few seconds to ensure the throttle is set to 0 power setting" or whatever.

- 1:25 IMO the tutorial designer should highlight the gauge which instructor is talking about. Just like interactive tutorials for other addons. Same for 1:45 and on.

- According to DCS:SU-25T manual the tutorial does not say the RPM should stabilize at 33% and the EGT should be around 440°C e.t.c.. (manual, page 46) - IMO the tutorial MUST follow the DCS:SU-25T manual to make things clear.

- 1:48 The flaps setting is missing in SU-25T Take-off manual. IMO very important thing which should be there.

- 1:54 According to instructions we are not ready to taxi yet because 3 minutes HSI align time is not over yet. 3:50 - end of waiting.

- 4:39 In my opinion the information about taxi speed should be given before the start of taxiing to avoid problems with sharp turns e.t.c. Mind the many new players does not have rudder pedals or stick with twist.

- 5:40 The information about turn IMO came bit late. The instructor should finish his speech before the player reaches the "fork"

- 6:30 There is very big problem of the tutorial desing. I've tried it more times. If the player is not enough fast or not enough slow, then the player will strike himself with the helicopter on runway. Solution: remove the helicopter. Also there is no info that pilot should taxi to runway threshold first.

- 7:10 again the tutorial does not follow the Take-off page in DCS:SU-25T manual. Very important. Press and hold wheel brakes, increase thrust to 70-75%, release brakes and full thrust, e.t.c... Also most things MUST BE EXPLAINED TO PLAYER BEFORE THE TAKE-OFF MANEUVER. The instructions about raising gear and flaps in tutorial are given to player TOO LATE. Also after take of the player may not know what to do next. The aircraft will change its pits uncontrolably and player might not now if it is right or not. There should be given some info like "hold pitch 10°-15° above the horizon bar by stick" or something like that.

Those are IMO the most important things which should be improved in this tutorial which is usually the very first experience with DCS:World for new players. Thank you for understanding! 😉

Edited by AJaromir
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, AJaromir said:

HSI align

It's inertial gyros alignment.

All very good points but you have to remember the tutorial was designed as aircraft specific not as a DCS starter.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

2 hours ago, draconus said:

It's inertial gyros alignment.

All very good points but you have to remember the tutorial was designed as aircraft specific not as a DCS starter.

In the tutorial is literally written and told: "make sure that more than three minutes have elapsed in order to let the horisontal situation indicator gyro to align properly" Time 0:42

I know, the INS is usually being aligned. Well, IRL in SU-25 it takes up to 60 minutes. Only the devs know what they want to align. I followed the instructions like the new player would.

Yes, probably the turorials were not supposed for new players because SU-25T came after the LoMAC and since that the tutorials had not changed a lot. But time has changed. Now it is the very first aircraft the new player will have the honor of flying this. So maybe it is time to change something.

BTW after fast check of other tutorials my opinion is there should be something like official video guide for new players. It is very very much info which need to be explained to new player and now I see this training missions are not the best way how to do that.

Edited by AJaromir
  • Like 2

Fair enough on the INS case.

Su-25T and TF-51D were first and only free aircraft available in DCS for a long time but it has changed with the Free Trial program - you can now test and fly any module for 2 weeks free of charge - no strings attached.

There already are videos about DCS first experience or general guides, examples:

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

The 14 day trial does not work in steam version of DCS:W which is where the most of new players come from. The mentioned videos are not official guides. If those are, it is good to post links right in the in-game main menu.

• Like 1

Good points again. I think the thread should go into general wishlist as this things get requested from time to time.

@okopanja - Yes, because it is "ripped of" from the original Flamming Cliffs manual which contains both the SU-25A and SU-25T. In the time of release of SU-25T its manual was part of FC3 manual and not separate like today. I am working on next reviews.

Edited by AJaromir

• 10 months later...