Non-VR Bloom Effect

adamant365

Hello All,

I've tried searching several different ways and can't find anything. Is there a way to turn off or reduce the bloom effects in DCS? I'm not flying VR so the VR bloom setting has no effect. I have mostly been flying the F/A-18C and find the bloom a bit overdone. I have to turn down my HUD brightness when loading a mission to remove the bloom effect around the HUD symbology. 

I guess an alternate question would be, is it possible to set a default value for HUD brightness? I do like the bloom effect when viewing externally, but the effect on the cockpit displays, especially the HUD, is a bit distracting. 

Thanks in advance.

Edited by adamant365

To be fair, I have yet to see any difference with that VR setting. Bloom effects in games/sims in general are massively overdone. It always looks like you're having a constant 50+ IOP, just missing the frickin' rainbows around it. If there's a slider, I usually turn it down to one of the lowest notches and it's good then, because without, it somehow looks artificial in another way.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

16 hours ago, adamant365 said:

I have to turn down my HUD brightness when loading a mission to remove the bloom effect around the HUD symbology.

That's what are this knobs for. Since you can fly in DCS from black night up to full sun there is no such thing as default brightness, you have to change it as you see fit on the go.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

4 hours ago, draconus said:

That's what are this knobs for. Since you can fly in DCS from black night up to full sun there is no such thing as default brightness, you have to change it as you see fit on the go.

Yeah, I was simply thinking a little outside the box with that idea. I've been doing several practice missions and the HUD brightness is always at max so the first step for me is to turn it down by about 50%. If I start cold and dark, it's no problem. 

But surely there's a way to tune the bloom effect so that it isn't so pronounced. I have to think there's a way to do this by editing the "bloom.fx" file or some .lua file, but I wouldn't know where to start with that. 

Major facepalm. I was looking through my nVidia control panel settings and noticed "Antialiasing - Gamma Correction" was globally set to On and I hadn't disabled it with my DCS-specific settings. Knowing AA gamma correction can cause excessive bloom, I turned it off for DCS and the annoying "glow" around my HUD symbology is gone. Now I can fly with my HUD at 100% brightness and it's just a brighter HUD and not all bloomy like before. 

It had been driving me nuts and it was as simple as an overlooked setting...

• Like 1