ED should consider developing a WW2 version of FC3.

I'm talking about releasing a pack of aircraft that have the look and feel of full fidelity modules but don't have all the extra bells and whistles like a fully clickable cockpit and all systems modeled in great detail. 

Not only would this be a much better experience for players and allow mission designers to design more interesting missions, but I think there would also be a huge market for such a release. Plenty of people still buy and enjoy the modern FC3 planes in 2022. Lots of people want the battlespace experience of IL2 with the flight modeling of DCS. ED can really capitalize on this demand. 

I can also envision additional future low fidelity packs for PTO, Eastern Front, etc that can be released alongside the flagship full fidelity modules.

If ED were going to release WW2 FC3 and it was going to be, say, 5 aircraft, what modules would you like to see included? 

• Like 1

It is not full clickable cockpit which makes a challenge for ww2 team, the main challenge is effort put to recreate FM often with very limited data. Second thing probably most important is ww2 team size, which is small. Developing 5 planes at the same time will put extreme load on devs, only solution for this is to expand ww2 team 🙂

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I thought ED were going away from FC3-like modules and trying to split those in a separate game (but not much is heard about that anymore), leaving DCS with fully modeled clickable aircraft only. IMO people wanting to play with planes with not-fully-simulated systems and controls currently have more options than those who want as-realistic-as-possible systems, full controls and a lot of clickable switches that actually do something.

• Like 1

I'm not sure it would be such a good idea. I mean, if you want good physics and FM but don't care about clickable cockpits and all it's understandable, but for something alike that there're already other options (without the good physics and FM, Ok but they're there, well settled, and their player base apparently don't care about those elements). But if you take clickable cockpits and systems modelled out of the equation, I'm not sure it makes so much sense in WWII stuff, they wouldn't be different from those other options, they wouldn't stand out for what DCS is good for. And I'm not even sure many realistic elements going on under the hood would even make sense without those systems modelled, which in turn also affects DM.

They're already working in MAC as their systems low fi game, FC4 alike, if they launch MAC some day and it works for the people perhaps the same could be applied to WWII stuff inside that game, but within DCSW itself I don't see it working once you strip out what makes DCS unique.

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

On 6/21/2022 at 1:03 AM, Aernov said:

I thought ED were going away from FC3-like modules and trying to split those in a separate game

I hadn't heard this, but what a terrible idea. Why split the already niche combat sim player base further into another ED game instead of just including everything within the same sandbox, which would make DCS better for everyone (more assets = better) and still give players the choice of what level of detail they want to get into. 

Edited by Tree_Beard

FC3 planes are here because they were already pre-made to start with. Now, making Lo-Fi versions or separate Lo-Fi warbirds will partly choke the current "throughput" (sorry for such ugly word!) of the WW2 team, which according to at least a few folks (or many?) is a bit lacking already. Yes, a small team, I get it, but still...
I'm just a customer, so I can only vote with the wallet, but I don't like the Lo-Fi warbirds idea, simply because I'd like more Hi-Fi WW2 stuff instead.
Besides, unlike FC3 jets, in WW2 realm there's the other popular sim, quite cheap "per plane", so why turn DCS into something that already exists? I'm looking from a customer's perspective - I can just buy it, if I want. (I don't, but that's a different story.)

I assume we're not looking at it from "module complexity" perspective, as that wouldn't make much sense to me. Warbirds are simple, some do have a few bells and whistles (e.g. the Mossie), but others are dead simple (e.g. the Anton). Yes, "press E to start her up" (if it was "E", I can't remember) is even simpler, but come on - Anton is as complex for the driver as your car is.

For the same reason MAC worries me a bit, because personally I'm not a customer for MAC (nor FC3, sorry) and I'm afraid it will divert a substantial number of ED people to that, so... if I get the maths right... would this mean fewer folks to work on DCS? Sad 😞 They'll do what they want, business is business, but I'm just anxious.

Edited by scoobie
  • Like 2

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

40 minutes ago, scoobie said:

I don't like the Lo-Fi warbirds idea, simply because I'd like more Hi-Fi WW2 stuff instead.

I fully agree .. instead of having unclickable warbirds, I’d really like to have more AI aircrafts of the period, to be used as enemies on our missions, for example a B-24, Yak-9, La-5, Ju-52, Pe-2, Ar-234 … the Ju-88 and Boston are really nice, but I’d love to have more variety.

• Like 6

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB