I need to connect some dots on a basic level.

What is the targeting pod for?
I find target, zoom in, and center it in pod. I can change a few modes with the dms. (But there is no lock.)
I still have to slew the (now blurry) and realtively wide angled MAV camera and find the same target to make it lock so I can fire a Maverick on it.
Some info miss me on every lesson I try to take, be it youtube, or "training" missions.

Edited by Moxica

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

"You can create a SPI with it and slave the mavs to that point"    Eureka! 
Thank you so much!

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

2 minutes ago, Moxica said:

"You can create a SPI with it and slave the mavs to that point"    Eureka! 
Thank you so much!

HI.

Once the target is found, make an SPI in his location by TMS UP Long. Now that point/target is the Aircraft target, and all sensors should try to lock on it. The MAV should need an extra step, by slaving the sensor on that SPI (can't recall at this moment the name for it and I am away of DCS). ONce the MAV is pointing that target, you need to make the MAV screen SOI and once in range, TMS up Short to lock the MAv on the target. If done correctly, the MAV symbols will collapde on the target picture and then you are ready to shoot. More or less...

Saca111

• Like 1

Thank you gents. 
It might be that the China hat is involved in slaving. 
I heavily suspect there is a Warthog hotas waiting for me when I get home today. (My girlfriend is spoiling me on my birthday)
It has a China hat afaik.
Combined with your inputs (pun intended) It would make this a great afternoon for me.

• Like 1

Birthday on the day with the longest daylight of the Year !

Happy Flying !

• Like 1

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

A little update on the excellent advice already given:

The HOTAS command "Make SPI" (TMS Forward Long) really tells the jet which sensor generates the SPI (Sensor Point of Interest) from now on.

With TGP as SOI (Sensor Of Interest), Make SPI will then designate the TGP to generate the SPI from now on. So where ever the pilot then slews the TGP, that's the SPI.

The lower left corner of the HUD always shows the current SPI (or SPI Generator), and pilots should verify that any change in SPI Generator is correctly reflected there.

Now, with the TGP as SPI Generator pointing at a target, the HOTAS command "Slave all to SPI" (China Hat Forward Long) will get other sensors, including the Mav, to look at the SPI. Of course the Mav has a very limited field of view compared to the TGP, so in order for this to work, the target should be somewhere ahead of the jet.

With the Mav now looking at the target, making the Mav SOI allows the pilot to command a track (TMS Forward Short with Mav as SOI), or slew it onto a target. The field of view can be toggled between wide and narrow (China Hat Forward Short).

All of this may sound a little complicated, but with a bit of hands-on practice it becomes second nature very quickly, and it'll all make sense. 👍

The one big thing that players sometimes get wrong is that "Make SPI" does not make the point SPI that the TGP is looking at at that moment. Instead, the TGP will generate the SPI from that time on, and slewing the TGP or tracking a moving object in Point Track will continually update the SPI without any need to command "Make SPI" again.

Edited by Yurgon
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Moxica said:

Thank you gents. 
It might be that the China hat is involved in slaving. 
I heavily suspect there is a Warthog hotas waiting for me when I get home today. (My girlfriend is spoiling me on my birthday)
It has a China hat afaik.
Combined with your inputs (pun intended) It would make this a great afternoon for me.

If you don't have the buttononlogy on your current controls, the China Hat switch Forward is important to map.  If you don't have a 2-way switch, just put Forward on a button, it's that important.  China Hat switch Aft is less crucial and can be left on the keyboard or somewhere less accessible.

• Like 1

I got it! Sat up a training mission with 5 BTR 80s. "Active pause" until I got them, using your recipies.
Also: Now, I have a china hat. Right there:   🙂
"China hat forward long,TMS Forward Short"

image.jpeg

Edited by Moxica
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Moxica said:

I got it! Sat up a training mission with 5 BTR 80s. "Active pause" until I got them, using your recipies.
Also: Now, I have a china hat. Right there:   🙂
"China hat forward long"

There's a keeper.  The girlfriend, that is 🙂 

• Like 1

Quick pile on to all that. Anytime you use any weapon in CCRP it’s going to go (or your weapon will at least try send it to) your SPI. So once you’ve found it in the TGP and made it SPI, that is now your target for JDAMS, LGBs, CCRP loft rockets, etc… 

The only big issue with TGP SPI (it’s really “TGP line of sight SPI”)  is it’s not a coordinate that the jet has stored, it’s just where the TGP is looking right now. So if you find a target then slew the TGP crosshairs off your weapons intended impact point the weapon won’t go where you want. Because of this I usually find the target in the TGP then use TMS right short to make a mark point on what my TGP is looking at, then I use TMS right long to make the mark point my SPI now if I slew the TGP off target by accident I can slave all to spi and the TGP will snap right back. But no matter where the TGP is looking CCRP symbology will be for the mark point so I can still slave my maverick there or just drop a JDAM on the mark point. TMS right long will always make the last mark point you took SP so you don’t need to worry about switching around between mission and markpoint databases. 

Edited by ASAP
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ASAP said:

DMS right long will always make the last mark point you took SP so you don’t need to worry about switching around between mission and markpoint databases. 

Just for reference, that should be TMS right long.  That will make your most recent mark point SPI.

Edited by jaylw314

18 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

Just for reference, that should be TMS right long.  That will make your most recent mark point SPI.

Oh yeah. That was a mistype. Thanks!

Edited by ASAP
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2022 at 12:51 AM, Moxica said:

What is the targeting pod for?
I find target, zoom in, and center it in pod. I can change a few modes with the dms. (But there is no lock.)
I still have to slew the (now blurry) and realtively wide angled MAV camera and find the same target to make it lock so I can fire a Maverick on it.
Some info miss me on every lesson I try to take, be it youtube, or "training" missions.

Pod is used to find targets at night and at longer range then eyeball. Tpod target can be passed on to Maverick via HOTAS.  But Maverick,  can be used without pod. Pod is necessary for any laser guided weapon , when there is no friendly unit designator available. That is all LGB bombs , unless dropped as unguided free fall. Laser guided APKWS rockets, and laser guidance for GBU-54 JDAM. Using laser guidance for rockets and JDAM on moving target requires Pod , ground JTAC/FAC, or airborne buddy lase. Non laser guided GBU-38/31 JDAM AND GBU-54 L-JDAM can be used without Pod but with decreased accuracy. TPOD in passive laser seeker mode is necessary for engaging JTAC spotted targets, as TPOD replaces obsolete Pave Penny spot tracker of A-10A. 

TPOD can be used to find air-air targets . Usefull for enemy drones, helicopters, and low altitude slower transport aircraft.

Target designated by TPOD is automatically handed to helmet queuing system. Appearing as stepped pyramid on JHMQS and on TSD moving map page. 

Targeting Pod is an essential tool in modern tactical aviation as it relates to close air support.  Competence with usage of Pod in combat is an essential critical skill of A-10 pilot. 

However primary sensor of A-10C is still MK1 optical sensor mounted on a gimbal.

• Like 2