Why not the Mongoos?

Sciacud

I have been reading this page of VPC forum and I found out that the majority of you guys love the Alpha Constellation grip and not the MongoosT-50CM2. Why have you guys been purchasing the Constellation Alpha grip and not the MongoosT-50CM2?
Maybe just because the Alpha is newer or it is better suited for spacesim. Isn't it?
Is there any other reason that should I know?
I'm asking because I'm interested in the MongoosT-50CM2, which I like more than the other one, but it's just a personal opinion and preference.
I will appreciate any kind of advise that could help me to buy the best grip for me.
Thank you

CPU i7 6700k MB Asus Z170 Pro Gaming RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 Mhz 32 GB Cooler Noctua NH-D15 Memory Samsung 970 EVO Plus Nvme 500Gb + Crucial MX500 500GB GPU MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z PSU Corsair TX650 Stick VKB Mcg Ultimate + 200mm extension + Monstertech long mount + Virpil Mongoos T-50CM3 throttle + VBK  MK.IV T-Rudder Head tracker Delanclip Headset Sennheiser PC350

Honestly, in my case:

• I prefer the aesthetic
  • it's much taller than the Alpha, so it works less well for me, i side mount my stick
  • if Virpil did a F-16 stick i would likely consider that 

• Like 2

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Very clear, thanks, I'm aware that Mongoos is taller and this could be a problem without a desk mount.

Who else?

CPU i7 6700k MB Asus Z170 Pro Gaming RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 Mhz 32 GB Cooler Noctua NH-D15 Memory Samsung 970 EVO Plus Nvme 500Gb + Crucial MX500 500GB GPU MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z PSU Corsair TX650 Stick VKB Mcg Ultimate + 200mm extension + Monstertech long mount + Virpil Mongoos T-50CM3 throttle + VBK  MK.IV T-Rudder Head tracker Delanclip Headset Sennheiser PC350

I haven't used the Alpha so I can't comment on that.

I have the CM2, and before that I had the original T-50 Mongoos. I find it very comfortable, the fit of the grip in my hand is perfect and all the buttons are easily reachable and sensibly placed.

The height has never been a problem for me as I used to use it centre mounted and now I have it low side mounted with an extension. Works perfectly for both. If the height won't be an issue for you and it's the one you prefer, I'd definitely recommend the Mongoos.

Edited by Sabre_Ewan

I use deskmounts , so i ordered the taller Mongoose as the extra height gives a little finer control .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I've never used the Constellation.  Virple should send one to me so I can try it out and maybe love it more than the MongoosT.  Love my MongoosT-50CM2.  Have it center mounted on an extension with a right hand cant so it fits my hand angle perfectly.  With the extension on a WarBRD base there is exceptionally fine control, which allows me to easily, and repeatedly, fail to catch the basket during air to air refueling.

It was a beast sitting on the desk, though.  You really need a mount unless your desk starts out too low.

Thanks guys for answer,

I agree, the Mongoos is tall for desk, but I have in mind to buy a 200mm extension  + WarBRD base + the VPC longest mount desk. This setup is also good for helicopters which I love too.

Maybe all the people that have been buying the Constellation (which is shorter) will go for desk usage, without spending extra money for a desk mount end an extension, I don't know...It's a cheaper solution for sure.

To be clear I don't use a desk mount,  I just prefer a side mount stick.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

I have owned both, and I sold my CM2 as I hugely preferred the Alpha. The tactility is much better, and it just sits so well in the hand compared to the CM2. The flip trigger was better in terms of movement and feel, as was the brake lever. The Alpha seems stronger and better built, etc.

I’ve never understood this ‘better for space sim’ thing. I mean, why?

Perfect for all modules in DCS and all other sims. 

PS. I also had the VKB Gunfighter 3 with MCG Pro, and I sent it back too!

• Like 2

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I was struggling between Alpha and CM2 before, and finally chose Alpha, because Alpha has an analog mini stick, scroll encoder and twist axis, but after buying a rudder pedals, I have locked the twist axis completely.

Edited by vr2viv
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, imacken said:

I have owned both, and I sold my CM2 as I hugely preferred the Alpha. The tactility is much better, and it just sits so well in the hand compared to the CM2. The flip trigger was better in terms of movement and feel, as was the brake lever. The Alpha seems stronger and better built, etc.

I’ve never understood this ‘better for space sim’ thing. I mean, why?

Perfect for all modules in DCS and all other sims. 

PS. I also had the VKB Gunfighter 3 with MCG Pro, and I sent it back too!

- Thanks for sharing your opinion about the Alpha ,which appears to be better built than the older CM2. That's important and helps a lot to decide which stick should we buy.

- "better for spacesim"? In my view because it has the LED light on his top? But I could be wrong.

- About your experience with VBK stick: why didn't you like it and why did you send it back? It would be very interesting knowing the reasons of such decision.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Sciacud said:

- Thanks for sharing your opinion about the Alpha ,which appears to be better built than the older CM2. That's important and helps a lot to decide which stick should we buy.

- "better for spacesim"? In my view because it has the LED light on his top? But I could be wrong.

- About your experience with VBK stick: why didn't you like it and why did you send it back? It would be very interesting knowing the reasons of such decision.

Thanks

You can, turn the light off... I do.

2 hours ago, vr2viv said:

I was struggling between Alpha and CM2 before, and finally chose Alpha, because Alpha has an analog mini stick, scroll encoder and twist axis, but after buying a rudder pedals, I have locked the twist axis completely.

Thank you (I arleady own the T-rudder so I won't need the twist axis).

Now I'm meditading about the fact that the Alpha is less tall than the CM2. This is important and I'm asking myself if I can place the Alpha on my desk without buying desk mount. 

Yes, before I bought desk mounts, I used both the Alpha and CM2 on the desk. I’m quite tall, but I had no problem with using the slightly taller CM2 on the desk despite what some people say. It may be different for you. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

2 hours ago, Sciacud said:

Thank you (I arleady own the T-rudder so I won't need the twist axis).

Now I'm meditading about the fact that the Alpha is less tall than the CM2. This is important and I'm asking myself if I can place the Alpha on my desk without buying desk mount. 

I don't have the CM2, but I was using a VKB Pro grip on my desk without mount before, then changed to install on a Monster Tech, it is ok for me to use on my desktop and I'm not a tall man, just an ordinary asian.  But I will say better to with desk mount as much more stable than without it, your flight stick may walk around on your desk. 🤣

Besides, your arm rest more comfortable in a lower position with desk mount.

Edited by vr2viv

42 minutes ago, imacken said:

Yes, before I bought desk mounts, I used both the Alpha and CM2 on the desk. I’m quite tall, but I had no problem with using the slightly taller CM2 on the desk despite what some people say. It may be different for you. 

- So why did you buy desk mounts? I'm 5,84 ft (1,78 mt) btw

- Another question: any difference between the Alpha and CM2 that can be somehow rilevant?

2 hours ago, Sciacud said:

Thanks

Regarding to the build quality, I asure you Alpha is much better than VKB pro grip (not the metal one, I have no idea about that), Alpha like solid build and VKB just kind of better quality plastic than a TM 16000, but still very plastic.

20 minutes ago, vr2viv said:

Regarding to the build quality, I asure you Alpha is much better than VKB pro grip (not the metal one, I have no idea about that), Alpha like solid build and VKB just kind of better quality plastic than a TM 16000, but still very plastic.

Yes, that's what I need to know, thank you so much

Any other comparison between the Alpha and the CM2 will be much appreciated too.

Thank you guys for all your inputs

1 hour ago, Sciacud said:

- So why did you buy desk mounts? I'm 5,84 ft (1,78 mt) btw

Because it is more stable on a mount and all my other devices - control panels, throttles, button boxes - are on mounts. 

The analog stick on the alpha is ideal for elite. The forward rake it has is important for using it side stick.

The more vertical mongoose is ideal for center stick. I use one side stick (with an extension) but have the base angled forward to achieve a suitable angle.

Edited by Scott-S6

On 6/23/2022 at 1:10 AM, Scott-S6 said:

The analog stick on the alpha is ideal for elite. The forward rake it has is important for using it side stick.

The more vertical mongoose is ideal for center stick. I use one side stick (with an extension) but have the base angled forward to achieve a suitable angle.

Thanks for your input. Since I don't play spacesim but just DCS, the Mongoos with an extension should be good for me. I like helis too, so a 200mm extension is good

16 hours ago, Sciacud said:

Thanks for your input. Since I don't play spacesim but just DCS, the Mongoos with an extension should be good for me. I like helis too, so a 200mm extension is good

I do play spacesim also and the analog stick on the throttle works fine for me. I can see the benefit to having it on the thumb though.