Custom CNC cut ejection seat cost

Thunder Chicken22

I bought a set of plans for a replica ACES 2 ejection seat and found a local shop what will supply the materials and cut the parts. They want $3,500 USD for it. That seems exorbitantly high. I have no clue what this kind of thing normally costs so am I wrong? I’m almost tempted to get the files printed out and cut them myself by hand. Won’t be as nice but won’t cost nearly as much.  If anyone has experience with this kind of work please let me know if I’m right or wrong on this.

Edited by Thunder Chicken22

I made an ACES 2 seat, based on free plans online. If you have a place to cut wood (and the skill) and can transfer the drawings to plywood (or the other pressboard type of wood, whose name escapes me now), that's the hardest part.

You'll need sawing skills (either hand saw or circular saw, table saw isn't useful here). Otherwise, everything else is easy. Tip: don't try to make the curves in the back or the seat, it won't fit properly. Also, the angle of the back is rather steep. When I make another one, I'm going to get inspiration from the Adirondack lawn chairs.

Edited by VZ_342
Tip
  • Thanks 1

OMG!  That's insane.  Don't do it and keep looking.  I found a local cabinet maker that has a CNC.  He charges $100hr machine time.  I'm supplying the plywood/mdf.  It took me about 3weeks of calling and emailing till I found one that was reasonable and not too far away.  Just keep looking so you don't get taken advantage of. 

Good Luck!

• Like 1

Oh let me be clear. No way in hell I’m dropping $3.5k on a replica ejection seat parts. I just wasn’t sure if that’s how much a typical CNC job like this would cost. I was thinking 1/10th of that at most. I’ll keep searching but I’m not optimistic as he’s one of the few that has responded. He told me that he’s already done one of these so someone paid waaaay too much for this in my area IMO.