OpenXR

gryper

I understand I need to download "open-composite-acc-v0.6.3-EOL" which is a composite file to make DCS work with OpenXR. The video I referenced says to extract this and pull out:

D3DCompiler_47.dll

opencomposite

openvr_api.dll

When I extracted "open-composite-acc-v0.6.3-EOL", the folder and file structure is different that what this video indicates, and I see no such files.

The website says the project has been moved, but I cannot figure out what I need to download to make OpenXR work. Anyone have any updated instructions or a link to them?

Thanks.

Edited by gryper
  • Like 1

Ensure you are downloading from here:
https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/-/tree/openxr
This is the link for the system-wide installer:
https://znix.xyz/OpenComposite/runtimeswitcher.php?branch=openxr
This for the standalone 64BIT DLL:
https://znix.xyz/OpenComposite/download.php?arch=x64&branch=openxr

Link for WMR headsets:

Edited by zildac
  • Thanks 2

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

43 minutes ago, skywalker22 said:

READ HERE 1st POST and do exactly what is explained, one step at a time:

Cannot be overstated enough!

Ignore everything you've been told it's well out of date.

• Thanks 2

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Ah okay that’s what’s keeping me back too. Itching closer to OpenXR but I’m terrible with changes. It’s those files that’s confusing me and doing whatever needs to be done after a E D update. 

Thanks

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

is open xr working for DCS, working with 1.1.4? before I update. would like to know.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

3 hours ago, 71st_Mastiff said:

is open xr working for DCS, working with 1.1.4? before I update. would like to know.

Sure it does. And better then SteamVR.

PS: but you also "need" 2 more apps to install, Open Composite and OpenXT Toolkit, with which you can further improve your performance from inside of the game.

Edited by skywalker22

17 minutes ago, draconus said:

Any benefits vs standalone DCS with standard Oculus soft?

Do you mean openxr runtime vs oculus runtime?  I believe that there have been improvements reported when using the quest, I couldn't say for certain.
Easy enough to install openxr, set your oculus to use openvr instead of oculus and test it out, if it's no dice then switch back to the oculus runtimes 🙂

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

46 minutes ago, Nighthawk 117 said:

I am a quest 2 user and there is a difference in FPS however I start DCS OB using Skatezilla app in steam Vr mode (Steam Vr not installed on system)

Out of interest, is there any visual clarity improvement with openxr in comparison to the oculus runtimes or is it just a bit faster?

There is defiantly  clarity improvement as well as better fps all in all I was pleasantly surprised as didn't expect the improvements I got still tweaking in game to see if I can be happier though

Plus running quest at 120 and getting pretty consistent 45 fps no real micro stutters

Edited by Nighthawk 117
extra info

I would like to try this.. but it seems there are so many threads/posts on it.

Perhaps its just me.. but I wonder if there would be a benefit of keeping a single post (with it being updated and locked) on how to install this.  I tried the skatezilla one and couldn't get it to work for my rift.

24 minutes ago, Gogojuice said:

I would like to try this.. but it seems there are so many threads/posts on it.

Perhaps its just me.. but I wonder if there would be a benefit of keeping a single post (with it being updated and locked) on how to install this.  I tried the skatezilla one and couldn't get it to work for my rift.

There is only one post regarding the setup for WMR headsets, it's Nikoel's, follow that and you will be fine 🙂

Can anyone post the latest instructions for running open  xr? Looks like there are millions obsolete threads about it on different platforms. I downloaded the open composite runtime switcher ran it and switched to open composite but get the error message openxr call failed.

On 6/22/2022 at 3:24 PM, edmuss said:

There is only one post regarding the setup for WMR headsets, it's Nikoel's, follow that and you will be fine 🙂

Correct, the first page is updated recently.

• Thanks 1

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

What headset are you running?

Assuming WMR when you start up WMRP it should give a warning and a "fix it" button if WMR isn't set to be the current openxr runtime.  Might be worth checking through your steamvr settings to check what is assigned as the openxr runtime in there; if it's set to steamvr then open composite won't work.

Assuming oculus then I believe you need to set it to use steamvr runtimes (as opposed to oculus) in the oculus settings, this then tells the headset to use the openvr (steamvr) runtimes which open composite then translates to openxr.

Running a Pimax 8kx. No, I did not get a fix it warning. For my feeling I have tested too much. I was planning on doing a fresh install of Windows and DCS. Maybe now is the time to do so.

Sorry but with WMRP, you mean windows mixed reality runtime I guess. The window I posted above.

Ah with the pimax I believe there are a couple of extra hoops to jump through because the headset doesn't support openxr natively.  I'm sure people have got it running on pimax though but I'm not sure if there any significant benefits as you're tied into the openvr runtimes; you may need to resort to asking the question on discord and see if you get any hits.

Yeah, WMRP is the windows mixed reality portal which of course you don't use 😄

What you posted isn't WMRP but just the openxr tools for WMRP.

edit: seems it is possible but not really worth it over running reshade/vrperfkit etc.

image.png

Edited by edmuss