Does the Spitfire Ruin You for Other Warbirds?

I have this plane, I love it, but I rarely fly it because I immediately unlearn everything I knew about flying the Mustang, the 109 or the 190 when I spend any time in the spitfire. The turning capabilities seem to indulge my worst impulses, and just like that energy fighting goes out the window for me and I'm getting killed turning in other planes. Anyone else find this to be the case? 

• Like 1

Not for me, after i fly spitfire i still remember how to fly P-51 or anything else. But still i see differences how to fly every warbird, every one is a bit different.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 3

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

As a matter of fact, negative transfer of skills is a thing to be considered IRL aviation, it happens, it's something to be aware and cautious about if you fly too many aircraft types at the same time. On the simulator, aside from my own memory loss and everything, I don't think I've felt that so strongly, but nonetheless it may definitely happen, of course.

As others said, it probably means you need more experience in all the types, not less. If you reach a point were you're confident enough with any aircraft, flying a different one is not such a big deal. Tactics, on the other hand, well one has to know which aircraft is flying at a certain moment and certainly stick to the appropriate tactics for the model. In the end more experience again, not less, I guess. Don't be afraid of the Spit and fly it more (together with others of course), so you know by heart what to do when you're in that particular type.

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

• 2 weeks later...

Boom and zoom doesn't come naturally to me. I want to just turn and turn. I have to force myself to use the vertical in the P51, P47 and the German planes. 

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

On 7/3/2022 at 11:07 PM, Gunfreak said:

Boom and zoom doesn't come naturally to me. I want to just turn and turn. I have to force myself to use the vertical in the P51, P47 and the German planes. 

Definitely suitable tactics for Anton or Dora require a lot more discipline then Spitfire.  

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I'm in the same camp as Gunfreak. I love the other warbirds for what they are, but I'm dumb with tactics and just need something that turns, and the Spitfire excels at that. I will say, however, the K-14 in the Jug and Pony have spoiled my gunnery skills. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 5:07 AM, percivaldanvers said:

I have this plane, I love it, but I rarely fly it because I immediately unlearn everything I knew about flying the Mustang, the 109 or the 190 when I spend any time in the spitfire. The turning capabilities seem to indulge my worst impulses, and just like that energy fighting goes out the window for me and I'm getting killed turning in other planes. Anyone else find this to be the case? 

Just imagine, one day we may have the A6M Zero, Ki-43 Oscar, La5/7, the I-16 may have historical playmates…  :devil_2:

I really need to get on the ball with learning the Spit... there is just something about the 2D, TIR view in cockpit that just is not right. Haven't figured out how to fix it yet.

Cheers

Sempre Fortis

• 3 months later...
On 7/15/2022 at 12:13 AM, 352nd_Hoss said:

I really need to get on the ball with learning the Spit... there is just something about the 2D, TIR view in cockpit that just is not right. Haven't figured out how to fix it yet.

Cheers

VR is a quick simple fix for that. Cheap too!

(this answer may contain traces of Lie)

Edited by Morat
  • Like 6

• 9 months later...

Can vouch for VR. My flying skills with classic aircraft like the warbirds and Tomcat shot through the roof once I gained depth perception and a wider FoV to glance at instruments without having to move my head.

Edited by Nealius

Late to this thread but its the Spit every time for me.....  I have the P51, 109, both 190's and other than some free flights and looking about in the cockpit i have litteraly done nothing else with these birds  🤣

Being from the UK its just a joy to get a fraction of the experience of the young lads that flew it in BofB/WW2,  just to get in that cockpit.....formation flying looking at other spits....damn its just unexplainable.

looking forward to the skin update

• Like 3
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x [OC_4700Mhz  1.27v All Core],   AMD Rx6700XT 12GB,    32Gb DDR4_3200 CL16,    M.2_NVMe(OS) + 1TB M.2 SSD for DCS install ,    Delan opentrack IR,    QHD 1440p@75Mhz 32" HDR Monitor.

Hotas heavy modded  T.Flight Hotas One - 3D printed Mods. 3D Printed Pedals 3D prinded Delan Clip, Future mods…Upgrade T.flight to Hall sensors…more switches….F-16 ICP,  Spitfire/Mossie switch labels and future Athentikit Spit Mk iX controls.

11 minutes ago, Droning_On said:

Late to this thread but its the Spit every time for me.....  I have the P51, 109, both 190's and other than some free flights and looking about in the cockpit i have litteraly done nothing else with these birds  🤣

Being from the UK its just a joy to get a fraction of the experience of the young lads that flew it in BofB/WW2,  just to get in that cockpit.....formation flying looking at other spits....damn its just unexplainable.

looking forward to the skin update

Sounds familiar to me.

After a long time away from flying Sims, finally I got DCS. First thing I bought was the Spitfire. First thing I learnt to fly too. I was determined to stick to it, knowing I’d have an easier time trying to fly something else. Once I could take it up and most of the time bring it back in one piece, I started converting to other prop aircraft.

I live in the UK too, in the heart of Battle of Britain country. I had a lot of family in Southampton that were a stones throw away from the airfield. A lot of them worked there at different times. I learnt from an early age, as most of us do, or did at least, of the legendary fighter that ‘saved these islands’ and how important ‘she’ is to many people. The Hurricane too. I had family that spent their whole lives involved with aircraft and airfields with very strong links to the Spitfire. In short, I learnt to love them. Luckily, during Summer, hardly a day goes by without me seeing or hearing one overhead. That’s if I’m not at a nearby airfield where they operate a few and I can be enjoying them even more.

Converting to the Mossie was a bit daunting at first but again, I couldn’t wait to work it out and get comfortable in it. The Pony was easier, more forgiving to learn and to operate. The weird one was the Jug, as I wasn’t much of a fan but having learnt to fly it and get the feel of it it’s won me over and now I love it too.

Swapping around, trying to stay current on these I can forget steps on startup, or worse, get over a target and forget to arm bombs or something but it only takes a couple of goes to get it drummed back in. I must’ve been away from flying the Spit a little too long as although I could cold start easily enough, trying to taxi around was like being on tiptoes on ice compared to say the Pony. Taking off was hilariously poor and took a bit of getting back into. Tactically, I’m pretty hopeless in any of them as I’ve spent more time learning to fly the different aircraft than I have honing any skills in combat. I can be taken down just as easily in all of them. I’d do circuits and bumps or go sightseeing to learn my way around the different maps. I tried a bit of multiplayer and quickly backed out as I was obviously way out of my depth but on some servers with only a few people on I seemed ok.

I was flying along on a server over the Channel when I got bounced by another Spit who formed up on my wing. Apart from the panic of not wanting to hit him I couldn’t get the grin off my face. We flew about messing with the clouds for a bit and I was loving every minute. I’m still the same now. If I’m on a server and hear props starting around me or flying over I can’t wait to get lined up and when there’s a few old warbirds taking off line abreast I love it. I still get grinny flying about with others, especially in a tight formation. 

I don’t think anything’s gonna spoil me for any warbirds. They all have their foibles and credit to the modellers, they all feel different enough to fly that we can get some idea of their strengths and weaknesses. The Spitfire is more precious to me than any other aircraft. Not necessarily on its own merits but also because it’s like one of the family. Trying to fly one in DCS is a joy. If we jump in another aircraft we have to fly that aircraft with all that it entails so no, I’m not ruined by one or another really. Spoilt to have them all maybe.

I have the two 190s as well as a 109 and have yet to even sit in them or bind any controls. I’ll get around to them.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2023 at 11:17 AM, Slippa said:

I was flying along on a server over the Channel when I got bounced by another Spit who formed up on my wing. Apart from the panic of not wanting to hit him I couldn’t get the grin off my face. We flew about messing with the clouds for a bit and I was loving every minute. I’m still the same now. If I’m on a server and hear props starting around me or flying over I can’t wait to get lined up and when there’s a few old warbirds taking off line abreast I love it. I still get grinny flying about with others, especially in a tight formation.

Mostly play single player tbh,  but when online its just a different level....  Last time online I jumped two 109's   got a lucky first burst on one and got his engine,  ran out of ammo in the fight that followed with no2 and got chased all the way back to Dover 🙂 ....   I though I was dead but he must have been out of ammo as he eventuly formed up, wagged his wings and vanished back over the channel.......   DCS is just WOW when things like that happen......

Edited by Droning_On
  • Like 4
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x [OC_4700Mhz  1.27v All Core],   AMD Rx6700XT 12GB,    32Gb DDR4_3200 CL16,    M.2_NVMe(OS) + 1TB M.2 SSD for DCS install ,    Delan opentrack IR,    QHD 1440p@75Mhz 32" HDR Monitor.

Hotas heavy modded  T.Flight Hotas One - 3D printed Mods. 3D Printed Pedals 3D prinded Delan Clip, Future mods…Upgrade T.flight to Hall sensors…more switches….F-16 ICP,  Spitfire/Mossie switch labels and future Athentikit Spit Mk iX controls.

I’ve a signed print from a Spitfire pilot who’d got in a dogfight with 109s during the Battle of Britain. He’d hit one of them badly and chased him out across the Channel. He said he “just couldn’t bring himself to shoot him down” so he flew alongside him for a while. The 109 was unlikely to make it back so Bob (Doe) gave him a salute and turned for home wishing him all the best.

Maybe your 109 pilot showed a bit of mercy too? Amazing if they’ve programmed stuff like that into the AI but I’m not so sure seeing how they fly :pilotfly:

Cheers for reminding me of lovely fella.

• Like 3