Feedback Thread - F-14 Tomcat Patch June 22nd 2022

IronMike

Dear all,

as usual we would kindly like to ask for your feedback for the recent patch.

New is a mini-campaign for the South Atlantic map "The Final Hour". It comes with a version that includes the community A-4 - we recommend to fly this version, as it is the intended one. A big thanks at this point to the Community A-4 Mod Team, who did such a beautiful work with it. For those who prefer to fly it without, the default version Operation Southern Beeches (as in the campaign name), replaces the Argentine A-4s with MiG-21s. The Final Hour Quickstart missions also use the MiG-21s instead.

New are also a plethora of key bindings for the RIO, and new Jester set commands, for mission makers to use.

Furthermore we continue with the aim54 updates, in this patch we tweaked the PN gains and loft parameters to improve its performance (and guidance) further.

You can now use the Aim-7P with the F-14B and late -A.

And finally a big overhaul was given to the wing sweep mechanism in general, as adding the axis in the last patch unearthed a few discrepancies and bugs, which led us to give it a thorough make-over.

A big thank you also goes to our "Rivet Counting Squad", aka the gifted skin makers, who continue to bless us with their beautiful liveries.

Everything please take from the changelog below. Thank you for your continued feedback and support!

DCS F-14 Tomcat by Heatblur Simulations - 22nd June 2022

• NEW: Added Mini-Campaign “The Final Hour” for South Atlantic. Also available as quickstart missions.
    • The campaign includes a version with the community A-4 mod. This is the recommended version how it is intended to be flown.
      • For the A-4 installation instructions check further down this page here.
      • For those who prefer to fly without the mod, the default version Operation Southern Beeches replaces the Argentine A-4s with MiG-21s.
  • AIM-54: Tweaked PN gains and loft parameters to improve performance.
  • NEW: Added more Jester set commands (with value) for mission creators:
    • 10017: DEST knob 
      • 0.1 - WP1
      • 0.2 - WP2
      • 0.3 - WP3
      • 0.4 - FP
      • 0.5 - IP
      • 0.6 - ST
      • 0.7 - HB
      • 0.8 - MAN
    • 10018: select waypoint to enter coords from a trigger zone (this command does no action in the cockpit)
      • 0.1 - WP1
      • 0.2 - WP2
      • 0.3 - WP3
      • 0.4 - FP
      • 0.5 - IP
      • 0.6 - ST
      • 0.7 - HB
      • 0.8 - MAN
    • 10019: enter coords from trigger zone for the waypoint selected with 10018 (if none selected, WP1)
      • 0.01 - WaypointZone01
      • 0.02 - WaypointZone02
      • 0.99 - WaypointZone99
    • 10020: WCS switch
      • 0.1 - OFF
      • 0.2 - STBY
      • 0.3 - ON
      • 0.0 - return to automatic
    • 10021: run RWR BIT
    • 10022: TID range knob
      • 0.1 - 25 NM
      • 0.2 - 50 NM
      • S0.3 - 100 NM
      • 04. - 200 NM
      • 0.5 - 400 NM
      • 0.0 - return to automatic
    • 10023: JESTER Eject
  • Potential fix for CTD with JESTER tuning radios. 
  • Add AIM-7P for late A and B F-14 loadouts.
  • Made TACTS pod available to stations 1B and 8B.
  • Fixed Jester tuning TACAN only using A/A for airborne transmitters (TACAN not working for multiple of our missions).
  • Complete overhaul and fix of the Emergency Wing Sweep Axis logic:
    • Handle can't be moved once the cover is down.
    • Handle can be disconnected from the spider detent regardless if it’s up or down (realistic behavior, lifting the handle was for easier access).
    • Added new special option. If enabled, handle can be moved only once up (to prevent unwanted detachment, especially when having the axis assigned).
    • Simulated Spider Detent Movement and attachment:
      • Attachment happens when the handle is close to the spider detent
      • The handle will stay there unless moved strongly away by mouse or the assigned axis (some amount of force reSquired in RL).
      • Spider detent will follow the CADC commanded wings position as seen in the Captain’s bars (middle indication of the Wing Sweep gauge) - if the handle is dethatched, the actual wing sweep will diverge from this indication.
      • Handle can be pushed down only at 20deg and oversweep, but can be raised anywhere.
      • Handle must be raised to enter or exit oversweep. Entering oversweep requires holding the handle in the raised and full sweep back (68deg) position for around 10s as earlier.
      • EMERG flag appears when the handle is lifted up. Once pushed down, the flag changes back to the previous mode (AUTO/ MAN).
      • Once the handle is detached, the CADC will report a failure (a small delay might occur) and the WING SWEEP warning light will appear. This will block the use of the HOTAS wing sweep switches. However, the AUTO/MAN mode will be updated as soon as the error is reset and control regained (pressing AUTO once the controls are inhibited and then the MASTER RESET button will activate this mode and drive the spider detent to the commanded position (20 deg on ground).
      • As soon as the MASTER RESET is pressed, the warning lights are canceled and HOTAS control is regained (spider detent can be moved). If the handle is still detached, the CADC will report the error again after about 7 sec reboot time.
      • Wings position will always follow the handle (if powered, operative, and not inhibited by flaps).
  • Changed wing sweep initialization on spawn:
    • Carrier spawn on catapult: 20deg, AUTO. 
    • All other ground spawns: oversweep, handle and cover raised.
    • Air spawn: AUTO, position adjusted to the airspeed.
  • Mechanical sweep handle can be stowed in oversweep, also allowing the guard to close.
  • Fixed sweep handle being able to move to OVER before HZ TAIL AUTH light goes out.
  • Fixed CADC/Wing sweep light remaining illuminated after spawning a new aircraft.
  • Fixed emergency wing sweep handle Scatching the spider detent at 20 degrees.
  • Fixed wing sweep handle being pushed down in oversweep position for carrier spawns.
  • Fixed emergency wing sweep lever being pull-push lock reversed after clicking it wildly.
  • Added new Keybinds for the RIO:
    • ICS Amplifier CW
    • ICS Amplifier CCW
    • Weapon Interval Selector 100ms - 'x';  x from 0 to 9
    • Weapon Interval Selector 100ms Inc
    • Weapon Interval Selector 100ms Dec
    • Weapon Interval Selector 10ms - 'x';  x from 0 to 9
    • Weapon Interval Selector 10ms Inc
    • Weapon Interval Selector 10ms Dec
    • Weapon Quantity Selector 10s - 'x';  x from 0 to 3
    • Weapon Quantity Selector 10s Inc
    • Weapon Quantity Selector 10s Dec
    • Weapon Quantity Selector 1s - 'x';  x from 0 to 9
    • Weapon Quantity Selector 1s Inc
    • Weapon Quantity Selector 1s Dec
    • Weapon Type Wheel IncS
    • Weapon Type Wheel Dec
    • Pulse Video Inc
    • Pulse Video Dec
    • Radar Brightness Inc
    • Radar Brightness Dec
    • Radar Pulse Gain Inc
    • Radar Pulse Gain Dec
    • Radar Erase Inc
    • Radar Erase Dec
    • NAV Mode CW
    • NAV Mode CCW
    • TID Destination CW
    • TID Destination CCW
    • TID Contrast Inc
    • TID Contrast Dec
    • TID Brightness Inc
    • TID Brightness Dec
    • DECM Mode CW
    • DECM Mode CCW
  • Added new axis bindings for the RIO:
    • Weapon Type Wheel
    • Radar Pulse Video
    • DDD Brightness
    • ECMD Brightness
    • TID Contrast
    • TID Brightness
    • DECM ALQ-100 Volume
  • Corrected RIO axis directions for DDD Erase and DDD Pulse Gain.
  • Updated VF-14 AB100 livery. (Ben_Der)
  • Updated Top Gun Rogue Nation livery. (Yae Sakura)
  • Updated Top Gun 114 livery. (LanceCriminal86, Helmets by Ben_Der)
  • Updated VF-211 Fighting Checkmates 100. (2001) (Shmoo42)
  • NEW: Added VF-31 1991 AE200 and AE205. (Mach3DS)
  • NEW: Added VF-14 AB103. (Ben_Der)
  • NEW: Added VX-4. (Ben_Der)

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I jumped right into the ME to check out the new liveries, but the new VF-31 skins weren't showing up in the list. I checked the liveries folder in coremods and those two new skins were indeed there (AE200 and AE205), but I didn't see them in the mission editor. The new VX-4 livery was there and looked great! The new VF-14 AB103 skin was there but appeared to have some missing textures on the nose and left side.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ShinyMikey said:

I jumped right into the ME to check out the new liveries, but the new VF-31 skins weren't showing up in the list. I checked the liveries folder in coremods and those two new skins were indeed there (AE200 and AE205), but I didn't see them in the mission editor. The new VX-4 livery was there and looked great! The new VF-14 AB103 skin was there but appeared to have some missing textures on the nose and left side.  

Oh, thank you. This sounds like something got mixed up in the upload or not uploaded correctly. Our apologies.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

15 hours ago, ShinyMikey said:

The VF14 AB103 missing textures is on me. It's referencing the AB101 Livery which hasn't made it into the release.
I attached the fixed livery. Just download it and drop it into your  ...\DCS World OpenBeta\CoreMods\aircraft\F14\Liveries\F-14A-135-GR
Overwrite the one in there and you have the corrected description.lua + the 2 missing textures.

Should be fixed for everyone with the next patch.
Apologies for the inconvinience!

edit:

Download and Rename the Zip File to:

VF-14 Tophatters AB103 (1976).zip  (note the spaces).

Then replace it here: 

...\DCS World OpenBeta\CoreMods\aircraft\F14\Liveries\F-14A-135-GR

Thanks for the heads up @WarthogOsl

224976846_VF-14TophattersAB103(1976).zip

Edited by VFlip
File name got changed on the upload
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sadly it looks like the autopilot has taken a hit with this update, it hardly works at all. No altitude hold, no attitude hold. I could go on but don't want to.

The sad thing is that on stable version 24228 AP works just fine. And now i'm nervous that when this version goes stable AP will be broken there as well.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, 51GRIZZLY said:

Sadly it looks like the autopilot has taken a hit with this update, it hardly works at all. No altitude hold, no attitude hold. I could go on but don't want to.

The sad thing is that on stable version 24228 AP works just fine. And now i'm nervous that when this version goes stable AP will be broken there as well.

Hi Grizzly, we noticed a regression with it as well, it seems to be related to not having set deadzones on roll and also pitch, or too little deadzone. We are not sure what caused but will have a fix by the next patch. See if increasing your deadzones just a little helps. Our apologies, we caught on to this too late.

• Like 6

Heatblur Simulations

The new AIM-54 loft profile is really beneficial for longer shots. Absolutely hits like a hammer now. Here are some preliminary graphs:

AIM-54A-Mk60_90nms_Same_Track_Launched_a

AIM-54A-Mk60_50nms_Same_Track_Launched_a

• Like 2

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

The Vandy One with the Sad Bunny looks awesome as hell. Great job. Didnt know it existed. Are there any real live pictures of it?

There was also the point: Updated VF-211 Fighting Checkmates 100. (2001) (Shmoo42)
This skin is the only skin with an country lock. Should this be gone with this patch? Its still there.
Would be cool if this country lock get removed and this fantastic skin is available for all nations.

I also noticed that the Top Gun liveries are doubled for the B Version? Is there a specific reason why?
There are so many other liveries missing for the B model: Red Rippers HiViz, BeDevilers HIViz, Santa Cat, VX-9, VX-30, ...
The Top Gun liveries look brillant for the A Model. But for the B with newer engines it doesnt fit to be honest.
But ok, anyway, would love to see the last missing B liveries come in a future patch.

Would it also be possible to sort the liveries in the drop down menu? For the B the VF-102 are split up. We have the firt livery at the top, then a buch of fictional ones and then the second vf-102. Would be cool if they are next to each other in the list.

But overall, the Sad Bunny livery kicks ass. Best thing of the complete patch for me.

Wishlist: (Aircraft)

F/A-18D Hornet | F-14D Tomcat | A-6 Intruder | EA-6 Prowler | E-1B Tracer | E-2B Hawkeye | (Navy) F-4 Phantom | F-104 Starfighter | AH-64 Apache | UH-60/SH-60 | RAH-66 Comanche | Curtiss P-40 | North American T-6 Texan | Mitsubishi A6M | Jak-9

Wishlist: (Map)

Vietnam | Pearl Harbor 1941 | Naval Air Station Pensacola (New Orleans <-> Orlando)

Wishlist: (WWII-Assets-Pack-UPDATE)

USS Arizona | USS Oklahoma | US Aircraft Carrier | Japanese Aircraft Carrier

The AIM-54 loft profile is BEAUTIFUL now, just wish some of the other guidance quirks were worked out... specifically the lateral guidance being behind the "curve" so to speak.  It's a lot of fun watching an AIM-54A Mk60 loft to 170k feet and come down at Mach 3 on a target 120nmi away! 😛  I posted more detailed feedback in the AIM-54 discussion, with track files and Tacview for your viewing pleasure 🙂

• Like 1

My YT Channel (DCS World, War Thunder and World of Warships)

Too Many Modules to List

--Unapologetically In Love With the F-14-- Anytime Baby! --

5 hours ago, Moorhuhn said:

The Vandy One with the Sad Bunny looks awesome as hell. Great job. Didnt know it existed. Are there any real live pictures of it?

There was also the point: Updated VF-211 Fighting Checkmates 100. (2001) (Shmoo42)
This skin is the only skin with an country lock. Should this be gone with this patch? Its still there.
Would be cool if this country lock get removed and this fantastic skin is available for all nations.

I also noticed that the Top Gun liveries are doubled for the B Version? Is there a specific reason why?
There are so many other liveries missing for the B model: Red Rippers HiViz, BeDevilers HIViz, Santa Cat, VX-9, VX-30, ...
The Top Gun liveries look brillant for the A Model. But for the B with newer engines it doesnt fit to be honest.
But ok, anyway, would love to see the last missing B liveries come in a future patch.

Would it also be possible to sort the liveries in the drop down menu? For the B the VF-102 are split up. We have the firt livery at the top, then a buch of fictional ones and then the second vf-102. Would be cool if they are next to each other in the list.

But overall, the Sad Bunny livery kicks ass. Best thing of the complete patch for me.

Unsure why the Top Gun livery even ended up in the B's folders, it shouldn't be there. Couple bumps on this livery push, we've been putting our heads together to help smooth that out and add a couple more checks to reduce the likelihood of it happening. Some of the issues have been due to simple things like different OSes messing with files when a livery was unzipped and re-zipped.

As far as country locks and such with liveries, I'm not sure why that's desired here? It can be looked at but it's a US skin of a US jet. It makes sense that it should be available to the US and the Blue Coalition TF alignment, maybe USAF Aggressors.

As to the A+/B and those skins, they'll come. The skins being worked and submitted have mostly been projects of passion by each artist, aside from the Forrestal release skins which were both passion and a desire to have some appropriate skins ready for her maiden DCS voyage. It just happens that the A model is where that passion has been, as it also has needed more work to bring some of the small details that differ from the B. There's still a ton of ground to cover on the A with squadrons that haven't been added yet, some of which has been waiting to see what the early model brings and the eventual pilot updates with the HGU-55. Another thing to consider is having skins be somewhat cohesive in a way for fleet squadrons instead of spread out over random years and air wings. A goal is to have skins better represent cruises, and perhaps adjust or replace some existing ones to match that. And while the late skins from the GWOT period are probably very popular to some, there's a lot of options that better fit the timespan and configuration of the jets we currently have from 1987 through the 1996-'98 range. And, just because there's a picture of a jet doesn't mean there's enough out there to do the detailed skins with names on the canopy and plane captains, custom weathering, all the stuff folks have come to expect. And the gorilla in the corner of hard drive space is ever more a concern, even with zipped default skins helping somewhat keep the sizes lower. Hopefully a better solution will come along to allow for skin packs to be provided to those that don't mind the drive space, while also helping out those that would rather have only barebones liveries instead.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

11 hours ago, VFlip said:

The VF14 AB103 missing textures is on me. It's referencing the AB101 Livery which hasn't made it into the release.
I attached the fixed livery. Just download it and drop it into your  ...\DCS World OpenBeta\CoreMods\aircraft\F14\Liveries\F-14A-135-GR
Overwrite the one in there and you have the corrected description.lua + the 2 missing textures.

Should be fixed for everyone with the next patch.
Apologies for the inconvinience!

edit: Remove the 224976846_ from the Zips File name and THEN drop it in the Path I mentioned above.

224976846_VF-14TophattersAB103(1976).zip 143.12 MB · 19 downloads

In order to replace the existing file, the filename needs to be VF-14 Tophatters AB103 (1976).zip  (note the spaces).  Otherwise it seems to work fine.

• Thanks 1

doesnt the key bindings for sweeping wings work now? i had 3 buttons set to sweep for and aft, plus two to select auto or bomb mode but none work after patch, the axies does work just not the buttons, i can get used to it if thats what you intended 🙂  just thought id say incase its not what you had in mind , other than the tomcat is awesome.

much as i love the old warbirds the f14 is probably my fav jet and maybe the f16 lol

Ryzen 7 7800x3D with AIO, RTX4080 Eagle OC, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz HP Reverb G2 & Pico4 Windows 11 Pro

The Manual wing sweep now has an issue returning to CADC mode. 
-Wings Auto @ 45deg <450kts
-Manual E-sweep to 30deg
-Cannot push down handle unless at 20deg
-Once handle is down, cover down, MASTER RESET does not drive the wings to the current CADC position. You have to open the cover, manually drag the handle (while in the down position) to catch the spider detent and then close the cover and press MASTER RESET. Or slow down to drive the CADC up to the current wing position.

Not sure if this is the intended behavior. Not being able to push the handle down at mid range makes the additional setting in options pointless though as if you went in to e-sweep you'd have to slow to <300kts to return to the CADC program. ~ The obvious way to return to CADC you'd think would be to catch the spider detent, push down the handle, close the cover and hit MASTER RESET. Although it would have been nice QOL to be able to just push down the handle, close cover, hit MASTER RESET and have the wings go to the current computer position like it's always been. I will say that the whole system seems less jank now though, so I can defiantly tell it's been improved, just need to figure out how we're meant to use it now.

Counterpoint: You can now control the wings manually by just opening the cover and leaving the handle down. So I've switched to using that instead as it mitigates most of the issue. Just move the slider to the CADC position and close the cover/press MASTER RESET.

Additional: I also noticed that with the handle up in E-Sweep, if you align the wings and to the CADC bars and hit MASTER RESET it will connect with the spider detent and start to drive the handle with out closing the cover. Not sure if this is intended either.

8 minutes ago, Kiwi_Viper said:

doesnt the key bindings for sweeping wings work now? i had 3 buttons set to sweep for and aft, plus two to select auto or bomb mode but none work after patch, the axies does work just not the buttons, i can get used to it if thats what you intended 🙂  just thought id say incase its not what you had in mind , other than the tomcat is awesome.

much as i love the old warbirds the f14 is probably my fav jet and maybe the f16 lol

It all works fine for me. I'd double check your key bindings. I didn't have to change anything and it worked straight away. You will need to set the wings if you are starting on the ground now though. Handle down, cover close, MASTER RESET. 

Try an air spawn and see if it works like that.

Edited by RodWan Olds

11 minutes ago, Kiwi_Viper said:

• Changed wing sweep initialization on spawn:
    • Carrier spawn on catapult: 20deg, AUTO. 
    • All other ground spawns: oversweep, handle and cover raised.
    • Air spawn: AUTO, position adjusted to the airspeed.

2 hours ago, WarthogOsl said:

In order to replace the existing file, the filename needs to be VF-14 Tophatters AB103 (1976).zip  (note the spaces).  Otherwise it seems to work fine.

Oh geez. Thanks for noticing!

I didn't notice the ED Attachment Mechanic fiddles with the whole file name.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IronMike said:

Hi Grizzly, we noticed a regression with it as well, it seems to be related to not having set deadzones on roll and also pitch, or too little deadzone. We are not sure what caused but will have a fix by the next patch. See if increasing your deadzones just a little helps. Our apologies, we caught on to this too late.

Thanks alot for your reply, i changed my setup to a deadzone from 0 to 5 on pitch and Roll  ... And that did the trick!! 😀👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 51GRIZZLY said:

Thanks alot for your reply, i changed my setup to a deadzone from 0 to 5 on pitch and Roll  ... And that did the trick!! 😀👍

Glad it works, and our apologies. The bug shouldn't have been missed. Personally I hate to fly with deadzones. But at least there is a workaround.

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

Never had the chance to run DCS in the last 24h, how does one know that the handle has caught on the detent? 

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

4 hours ago, LanceCriminal86 said:

As far as country locks and such with liveries, I'm not sure why that's desired here? It can be looked at but it's a US skin of a US jet. It makes sense that it should be available to the US and the Blue Coalition TF alignment, maybe USAF Aggressors.

ok, but then please do a country lock for all US skins.
All skins with a country lock or all skins available for everyone.

Unsure why the Top Gun livery even ended up in the B's folders, it shouldn't be there.

ok, so they will be removed with the next patch? Good news.

As to the A+/B and those skins, they'll come.

So we can expect the still missing B skins in future? Even better news.

F/A-18D Hornet | F-14D Tomcat | A-6 Intruder | EA-6 Prowler | E-1B Tracer | E-2B Hawkeye | (Navy) F-4 Phantom | F-104 Starfighter | AH-64 Apache | UH-60/SH-60 | RAH-66 Comanche | Curtiss P-40 | North American T-6 Texan | Mitsubishi A6M | Jak-9

Vietnam | Pearl Harbor 1941 | Naval Air Station Pensacola (New Orleans <-> Orlando)

Please also check the sorting of the liveries for both the A and the B model.

I attached an example for the B model. Both VF-102 liveries are split up. It seems this issue is caused by an "01" wich is written in front of the livery name.

Would it be possible to remove this number in one of the next patches?

image.png

Edited by Moorhuhn