Feedback Thread - F-14 Tomcat Patch June 22nd 2022

IronMike

9 minutes ago, JumboJBT said:

Hi. 

• NEW: Added VF-31 1991 AE200 and AE205. (Mach3DS)

can not find this livery. 

cheers. 
Patrice. 

They will be in there with the next patch.

• Like 1

Wishlist: (Aircraft)

F/A-18D Hornet | F-14D Tomcat | A-6 Intruder | EA-6 Prowler | E-1B Tracer | E-2B Hawkeye | (Navy) F-4 Phantom | F-104 Starfighter | AH-64 Apache | UH-60/SH-60 | RAH-66 Comanche | Curtiss P-40 | North American T-6 Texan | Mitsubishi A6M | Jak-9

Wishlist: (Map)

Vietnam | Pearl Harbor 1941 | Naval Air Station Pensacola (New Orleans <-> Orlando)

Wishlist: (WWII-Assets-Pack-UPDATE)

USS Arizona | USS Oklahoma | US Aircraft Carrier | Japanese Aircraft Carrier

6 minutes ago, jymp said:

Also, at least for me, the jet rolls inverted on deployment of flaps in flight, right side flaps deploy fully, left side does not.

At what speed? Always the same side?

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

20 hours ago, IronMike said:

This sounds like something got mixed up in the upload or not uploaded correctly. Our apologies.

For info.

The VF-31 1991 AE200 and AE205 (Mach3DS) liveries generate this error when the Mission Editor tries to load them (they don't appear in the F-14A-135-GR's drop down livery list).

2022-06-23 03:20:36.157 ERROR   LIVERY_MANAGER: Can't open livery 'VF-31 1991 AE200'
2022-06-23 03:20:36.161 ERROR   Lua::Config: load error ‰PNG

:[string "?"]:1: unexpected symbol near '‰'.
2022-06-23 03:20:36.161 ERROR   LIVERY_MANAGER: Can't open livery 'VF-31 1991 AE205'
2022-06-23 03:20:36.203 ERROR   Lua::Config: load error Ey:[string "?"]:1: '=' expected.
2022-06-23 03:20:36.203 ERROR   LIVERY_MANAGER: Can't open livery 'VF-31 1991 AE200'
2022-06-23 03:20:36.203 ERROR   Lua::Config: load error y:[string "?"]:1: unexpected symbol near 'char(25)'.
2022-06-23 03:20:36.203 ERROR   LIVERY_MANAGER: Can't open livery 'VF-31 1991 AE205'
2022-06-23 03:20:46.707 ERROR   Lua::Config: load error :[string "?"]:1: unexpected symbol.
2022-06-23 03:20:46.707 ERROR   LIVERY_MANAGER: Can't open livery 'VF-31 1991 AE200'
2022-06-23 03:20:46.707 ERROR   Lua::Config: load error :[string "?"]:1: unexpected symbol.
2022-06-23 03:20:46.707 ERROR   LIVERY_MANAGER: Can't open livery 'VF-31 1991 AE205'
2022-06-23 03:20:51.627 ERROR   Lua::Config: load error :[string "?"]:1: unexpected symbol.
2022-06-23 03:20:51.627 ERROR   LIVERY_MANAGER: Can't open livery 'VF-31 1991 AE200'
2022-06-23 03:20:51.627 ERROR   Lua::Config: load error :[string "?"]:1: unexpected symbol.
2022-06-23 03:20:51.627 ERROR   LIVERY_MANAGER: Can't open livery 'VF-31 1991 AE205'
2022-06-23 03:20:51.717 ERROR_ONCE DX11BACKEND: texture 'hb_f-14_ext_guntube_nrm' not found. Asked from ''

The only obviously strange thing with the .zip'ed liveries is the presence of a _MACOSX subfolder

VF-31 1991 AE200 Livery.PNG

dcs.log

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Just now, Ramsay said:

For info.

The VF-31 1991 AE200 and AE205 (Mach3DS) liveries generate this error when the Mission Editor tries to load them (they don't appear in the F-14A-135-GR's drop down livery list).

dcs.log 44.85 kB · 0 downloads

Yup, the zip got broken when it landed on a Mac OS Machine. Will be fixed with the next patch.

If you want to fix it yourself, unzip the Zip Archive, delete the zipped file, delete the __macosx Folder in the new folder you just unzipped and they should show up in game.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, RodWan Olds said:

You can tell because it kind of snaps in place.

That's good to know, thanks for the info mate! Will try to test this evening. 

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

5 minutes ago, Salty Buckets said:

So am I the only one currently that thinks the new loft angle is abit unrealistic?

It sounds like HB is extremely limited by the old/current API. If they make small tweaks to how the missile behaves in descent it has a big impact on other things. The new API can't come soon enough, because every patch it feels like a completely new missile.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Callsign JoNay said:

It sounds like HB is extremely limited by the old/current API.

It looks to me like they have no exact data so they mess with loft angles and pure/lead proportions just to achieve best performance.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

14 hours ago, RodWan Olds said:

The Manual wing sweep now has an issue returning to CADC mode. 
-Wings Auto @ 45deg <450kts
-Manual E-sweep to 30deg
-Cannot push down handle unless at 20deg
-Once handle is down, cover down, MASTER RESET does not drive the wings to the current CADC position. You have to open the cover, manually drag the handle (while in the down position) to catch the spider detent and then close the cover and press MASTER RESET. Or slow down to drive the CADC up to the current wing position.

Not sure if this is the intended behavior. Not being able to push the handle down at mid range makes the additional setting in options pointless though as if you went in to e-sweep you'd have to slow to <300kts to return to the CADC program. ~ The obvious way to return to CADC you'd think would be to catch the spider detent, push down the handle, close the cover and hit MASTER RESET. Although it would have been nice QOL to be able to just push down the handle, close cover, hit MASTER RESET and have the wings go to the current computer position like it's always been. I will say that the whole system seems less jank now though, so I can defiantly tell it's been improved, just need to figure out how we're meant to use it now.

Counterpoint: You can now control the wings manually by just opening the cover and leaving the handle down. So I've switched to using that instead as it mitigates most of the issue. Just move the slider to the CADC position and close the cover/press MASTER RESET.

Additional: I also noticed that with the handle up in E-Sweep, if you align the wings and to the CADC bars and hit MASTER RESET it will connect with the spider detent and start to drive the handle with out closing the cover. Not sure if this is intended either.

It all works fine for me. I'd double check your key bindings. I didn't have to change anything and it worked straight away. You will need to set the wings if you are starting on the ground now though. Handle down, cover close, MASTER RESET. 

Try an air spawn and see if it works like that.

thats it thanks mate. ive never had the reset button mapped or had to use it, now we obviously do so that makes it work like it did.

Ryzen 7 7800x3D with AIO, RTX4080 Eagle OC, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz HP Reverb G2 & Pico4 Windows 11 Pro

10 hours ago, draconus said:

At what speed? Always the same side?

After lifting off from the runway, I retract flaps, right wing flaps retract 3/4's way. left wing flaps do not retract at all, no matter the speed.

12 minutes ago, jymp said:

After lifting off from the runway

How fast are you going? Above 225 knots the landing flaps will jam If not retracted. If you’re taking off in the B with burner, that’s not a hard number to pass

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Salty Buckets said:

So am I the only one currently that thinks the new loft angle is abit unrealistic?

We can never know. And we SHOULD not know. Such things should not be available to the public. EVER.
What we can and should do, is try to find the most optimum curve parameters that would give the missile best terminal properties for given kinetic capability. I just did some quick tests on my standard missions and my initial (based on very very limited sample size) impression is that the curve is much smoother and gives the missile much better kinetic properties when going active. Both against maneuvering and non-maneuvering targets. The missile is still well defeatable (i got a 50% pk in the limited tests) with proper missile defense. What has went away is the tendency of the missile to defeat itself, especially against non-maneuvering targets.  Right now, the tactical use resembles largely what anecdotal claims seem to imply, adjusted for altitude and mach of course. Once proper EW is implemented in DCS, developing proper tactics will be even more fun. One word of warning when using it against tactical targets though, do note that while the new steeper loft gives better missile terminal performance, it also means longer flight time, which could be used against you with missile that go right after you with a more shallow trajectory. But all this is a very, very, VERY early impression. More tests are needed.  

8 hours ago, RodWan Olds said:

You can tell because it kind of snaps in place.

Just tested and i see what you mean, upwards or downwards, as soon as you hit it, the handle stops and needs further input to continue moving. I like this implementation, it will takes a bit getting used to, but it's highly intuitive. 

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

51 minutes ago, near_blind said:

How fast are you going? Above 225 knots the landing flaps will jam If not retracted. If you’re taking off in the B with burner, that’s not a hard number to pass

I think you're generally not supposed to use flaps for field takeoffs. Try using maneuver flaps only.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Salty Buckets said:

Not particularly.  Climb out on the tracked timestamp shot is pushing a 60 degree pitch angle on its lofting ascent. 

Edited by lunaticfringe
  • Like 3

Let's talk Wing-sweep.

I ran into an issue last night but I'm not sure if I can reproduce it, since I'm away now from the computer.

We were doing an MP mission which involved some bombing. I did put the wings in Bomb mode, which did work fine. Comming off the run, we were engaged by enemy fighters and switched to A2A in which I selected wing sweep Auto, which was also shown in the Indicator, though I did not pay any more intentions on the whole issue. After a while, with my ride feeling a little bit funny, I figured out, even so auto indication was shown, the bug almost at 20 deg, the wings were still stuck in Bomb mode, no fail indication. I moved the bug in manual back, and then back to Auto and that was when the wings start moving again, and kept doing so.

Since I did not had a problem since last patch (but using only Auto and Man) I'm not sure if we talking a bug here,

1 hour ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

Let's talk Wing-sweep.

I ran into an issue last night but I'm not sure if I can reproduce it, since I'm away now from the computer.

We were doing an MP mission which involved some bombing. I did put the wings in Bomb mode, which did work fine. Comming off the run, we were engaged by enemy fighters and switched to A2A in which I selected wing sweep Auto, which was also shown in the Indicator, though I did not pay any more intentions on the whole issue. After a while, with my ride feeling a little bit funny, I figured out, even so auto indication was shown, the bug almost at 20 deg, the wings were still stuck in Bomb mode, no fail indication. I moved the bug in manual back, and then back to Auto and that was when the wings start moving again, and kept doing so.

Since I did not had a problem since last patch (but using only Auto and Man) I'm not sure if we talking a bug here,

Did you have a CADC light on the caution panel?  Every once and a while I'll have a situation where the CADC fails, and like you, I don't notice until things start to feel funny.  Pressing the CADC reset button fixes it.  I've had it happen from a while back in single player missions, anyway.

8 hours ago, captain_dalan said:

What we can and should do, is try to find the most optimum curve parameters that would give the missile best terminal properties for given kinetic capability.

No, we should try to simulate it properly to get how it really was performing, not giving it additional computations that it maybe did not have IRL. If it was not optimal and best at the time, so it should not be simulated as such. I hope the recent tweaks are just fighting with DCS limitations - not tweaking missile parameters - because 160nm shots look very questionable.

50 minutes ago, WarthogOsl said:

Did you have a CADC light on the caution panel?  Every once and a while I'll have a situation where the CADC fails, and like you, I don't notice until things start to feel funny.  Pressing the CADC reset button fixes it.  I've had it happen from a while back in single player missions, anyway.

Nope, all good, no fail. To fix it, I had to go short man and than back to auto and the wings "aligned themself with the bug"