F/A-18C Hornet TWS still has ghost contact and messed up the multiple AIM120Cs launch

Max Mak

Original post:

Since ED stated that the “TWS ghost contact: fixed” in the DCS 2.7.12.23362 Open Beta update on 28 Apr, 2022I updated the game and tested it again on 30 Apr, 2022. However, I found that my TWS lock is still messing up by unknown contact when launching multiple AIM120s. In this mission I firing AIM120s to five IL-76MD, I suddenly locking an unknown target (170Vc, 0.7RNG; as you can see in 1:20 in the attached video) when I switching targets. This clearly not the own missile (as the own missile must be negative Vc), and not the IL-76MD (as all of them are at 900Vc, 2X.X RNG). The unknown contact messing up my TWS, and I finally losing tracks for all the previosly launched AIM120s. Although the AIM120s finally hit targets, it is only due the the current build of AIM120 able to turn on their own radar in the final phase to aquire the target, my own radar already losing tracks for the AIM120s at the time when detecting and losing the unknown target. Therefore, the ghost contact issue is not completely fixed, it only disappear faster than before, but I can still detect it easily when switching target in multiple AIM120s launch. This test finally merged into the original post and seems haven't reported again so I put it here again. 

As following @BIGNEWY advice to wait the new patch DCS 2.7.15.26783 Open Beta releasded on 22 Jun, 2022 and test it again. I've done the same test today 23 Jun, 2022 with the same mission, actually the issue is reproducible. This time I also use the HMD to tace what is being tracked, and I found that I have tracking something behind, which is improssible because no matter IL-76MD or own miissiles sholud be in front of me in this scenario. 

I inclued all the track files and tacview files on the tests done on 28 Apr, 2022 and 22 Jun, 2022, as well as the mission file here if you want to try. I hope that this issue can completely fixed in the coming patch. 

Tacview-20220430-222445-DCS-1 vs 5 AIM120 train.zip.acmi TWS bug 20220430.trk Tacview-20220623-095334-DCS-1 vs 5 AIM120 train.zip.acmi TWS bug 20220623-2.trk 1 vs 5 AIM120 train.miz

• Like 2

• ED Team

Hi, 

thanks for the tracks. 

We have taken a look at this today and can only reproduce if the missiles are fired in rapid succession ( of course in real life this would not happen ) 
Please retry with a 1 - 2 second pause between shots, you should notice a difference on the track priority. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

4 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Please retry with a 1 - 2 second pause between shots, you should notice a difference on the track priority. 

Hey, BN... is the team satisfied with the current state of TWS immediately picking up, creating a trackfile, and prioritizing own-ship missile launches? Additionally, if this is realistic, and most sources indicate that the APG-73 is a "slightly better" radar than the Viper's...why doesn't the Viper reflect this same behavior? Could you ask the team?

Cheers!

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

5 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

thanks for the tracks. 

We have taken a look at this today and can only reproduce if the missiles are fired in rapid succession ( of course in real life this would not happen ) 

Thanks for reply. I've taken your advice and slow down my missiles launching in TWS mode to do the same test again. 

However, I still locking the ghost object behind as shown in the video above. I attached the corresponding track file and tacview file here for your reference, you can take a look on that. Many thanks.  

Tacview-20220624-031523-DCS-1 vs 5 AIM120 train.zip.acmi TWS bug 20220624.trk

I made a separate post since I think it's a slightly different issue but is likely contributing to missiles being ranked #1.

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

@BIGNEWY I did another fight test today with even much slower missiles launching fequence in TWS mode than yesterday (24 Jun 2022), and the same issue still happened. I attached the corresponding track file and tacview file here for your reference. In summary, I've already done a triplicate tests with different missiles launching fequence in TWS mode and showed that this issue is highly reproducible.

Tacview-20220625-011425-DCS-1 vs 5 AIM120 train.zip.acmi TWS bug 20220625.trk

Atmospherics.............. Sun Spots................ Tic Tacs............... Gimbals...............

Open Beta is all you needed to say, nothing ever works as intended 100% of the time, but everyone wants to use the beta........

Thanks for sharing your files, has anyone else had this problem?... this game is so huge everyone is afraid to do a clean reinstall after a year or so, especially if you have a butt-load of modules to re-assign each time. So you are dammed if you do and damned if you don't.  The Updater utility helps some, but I'm always afraid it will mess something up, so I only use it when absolutely necessary.  Before I reinstall I'll try an old trick I used when I'd lose connection to multiplayer after an update.  Turn off firewall, reboot, run repair, reboot. Run the game, test your scenario and don't forget to turn back on your firewall.

Good Luck

Sempre Fortis

3 hours ago, 352nd_Hoss said:

Open Beta is all you needed to say, nothing ever works as intended 100% of the time, but everyone wants to use the beta........

You’re right, that’s why we have the “Bugs and Problems” to report the bugs we have in the module, and notice the developers that there is an issue need to be fixed in the future.

Edited by Max Mak
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Teriander said:

Reminds me when I reported ghost contacts and was told it was, "Correct as is.."  When it clearly isn't.   

Good luck getting this addressed. 

Yes, it should be a problem, I'm just waiting their upcoming patch to see if it was fixed. It's difficult to get the passion back to F/A-18C currently with the bugs. Just every updates I'm waiting for a fix, once I saw it was fixed I was excited and I immediately test it again and found that it didn't fixed. Then, I reported once again, not acknowledged and post merged to the original post, that's it. Okay, I go for a new thread to do several tests exactly the same again to show it didn't fixed. Therefore, I know your feeling well, sometimes we have to put more efforts to make things work, just be patient and don't give up, once it is a bug, it always a bug. Keep reporting until it was eventually fixed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Max Mak said:

Yes, it should be a problem, I'm just waiting their upcoming patch to see if it was fixed. It's difficult to get the passion back to F/A-18C currently with the bugs. Just every updates I'm waiting for a fix, once I saw it was fixed I was excited and I immediately test it again and found that it didn't fixed. Then, I reported once again, not acknowledged and post merged to the original post, that's it. Okay, I go for a new thread to do several tests exactly the same again to show it didn't fixed. Therefore, I know your feeling well, sometimes we have to put more efforts to make things work, just be patient and don't give up, once it is a bug, it always a bug. Keep reporting until it was eventually fixed. 

You're 100% exactly right.  I'm starting to suspect someone in ED wants to sign it off as a complete asset so bugs like this are being written off as correct.   I've reached the point where I no longer will submit bug reports.  Oh well...   

• Like 4

Tested the multiple locks in TWS mode in the recent build (DCS 2.7.16.27869 Open Beta), the ghost contact issue is fixed, just the radar can still sometimes locking the own missies, but it is another issue that should be discussed in other thread. 

• Like 1