Game crash if set waypoint to FC3 modules while in the plane

NuII

Hello,

When setting waypoint to your plane while in mission running, while flying a FC3 module and setting waypoints in the F10 map, after reloading the cockpit waypoint mode (Switch back waypoint mode), the game crash.

Easy to reproduce, create a player unit in ME with FC3 module, start the mission, spawn in the plane, open F10 map, click on yourself, set waypoints,validate, go back to inside view, reload waypoint mode, then crash...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/1/2022 at 11:41 PM, NineLine said:

I just tried the MiG-29S and was able to set new waypoints and had no crash.

That said, I am not sure this option should be available for a player controlled aircraft, I will have to ask about that.

When you set path to your own plane, you need place more waypoints than initial waypoints of the unit in ME. If it exceeds, it crashes the game after reloading the NAV mode.

• ED Team

please include the crash zip folder or dcs log from the crash session. 

if you can reproduce in a short track replay please attach it here 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 7/1/2022 at 11:41 PM, NineLine said:

That said, I am not sure this option should be available for a player controlled aircraft, I will have to ask about that.

I can confirm that setting 3 navpoints is enough to reproduced the issue reliably.

TRK file can not be produced since the game crashes.

It would be nice to keep this feature and not solve the problem by removing it.

• Thanks 1

• ED Team

thanks we will take a look, the track is in the zip file you attached. 

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

I am unable to reproduce the crash.

Please remove all unofficial mods including RedK0d-Clickable-v1.1.5_fixed

run a slow repair and test. 

please attach the fresh crash zip here after if it crashes. 

thank you

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

I am unable to reproduce the crash.

Please remove all unofficial mods including RedK0d-Clickable-v1.1.5_fixed

run a slow repair and test. 

please attach the fresh crash zip here after if it crashes. 

thank you

In ME, if player FC3 unit is placed with, for exemple, 3 waypoints ; then, while flying, you set path to more than 3 points (place a path of 6 waypoints for exemple); after restarting NAV mode, game crashes. I believe scenario is unable to create more waypoints than the unit could be holding in the mission data.

• ED Team
7 minutes ago, NuII said:

In ME, if player FC3 unit is placed with, for exemple, 3 waypoints ; then, while flying, you set path to more than 3 points (place a path of 6 waypoints for exemple); after restarting NAV mode, game crashes. I believe scenario is unable to create more waypoints than the unit could be holding in the mission data.

I understand, but have been unable to reproduce, I will ask others to check. 

If you are using unofficial mods please remove them for testing, and attach fresh tracks or logs from the crash event 

thank you

18 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

I understand, but have been unable to reproduce, I will ask others to check. 

If you are using unofficial mods please remove them for testing, and attach fresh tracks or logs from the crash event 

thank you

Make sure you run MT.

1. Take the Instant Action: Su-27 bomber run

2. Switch to F10, it already has several waypoints

3. Click on the airplane you control (Su-27, white), (CA dialogs will appear on lower part

4. Click on Set Path

5. Enter 4 waypoints in opposite direction (they should be read target marks, but sometimes green appear as well).

6. Click Set Path again, the new route will be displayed (old one is removed)

7. Switch to F10

8. Start cycling NAV modes with '1', and keep hitting the key until it crashes

If this does not work, and you are indeed using the same version as we do, then likely your machine is doing things faster/slower than mine or Null's.

In concurrent programming, situations such as this are called "race conditions". Due to the concurrent nature, on one machine execution thread can complete faster than on another even with entirely identical environment.  On some occasions this will cause a crash, on some it will not.

In this case the C++ code is trying to de-reference pointer to invalid location, which is causing the process to get killed.

Please ask another reliable person to try to replicate.

• Like 2