AIM-7 Sparrow FLOOD MULTI-BUG

GumidekCZ

6 Bugs related with AIM-7 now:

1) Undesignate button dont leave FLOOD mode back into RWS as described in manual. Undesignate now function as LTWS target designation/switching between more radar contacts.

2) AIM-7 is not guiding on target even at close distances or in 2g TURNS. (Edited: My note which may be not connected to this bug: There should be no notching efect by target on FLOOD mode released AIM-7)  DCS Manual: FLOOD mode can be a useful mode in a dogfight when you cannot gain a radar lock.

3) AIM-7 unable to guide on radar energy reflection, when released more than 7nm from target. DCS Manual: "This is effective out to 10 nm."

4) FLOOD mode released AIM-7 unable to guide on radar energy reflection when on direct heading to target, even if distance between emitor and iluminated target is under 10nm. ( Missile released at range of 12nm,  missile will fly-by headon target at 8nm without sensing the energy reflection).

5) FLOOD mode released AIM-7 is not guiding itself to the strongest reflection in FOV of its seeker. At same range AIM-7 choosed to guide itself to MiG-21 with RCS=3 rather than on Su-25 with RCS=7 (more than double).

6) When AIM-7 is released in FLOOD mode when target is outside of big circle, missile will not guide on target even if target will fly into big circle & in FOV of the missile seeker.

Unfortunately I need to go now, will attach tracks later this evening.
RED = Edited

Edited by GumidekCZ
I rewrites some sentences to make them more clear and easy to understand.

• GumidekCZ changed the title to AIM-7 Sparrow FLOOD MULTI-BUG
  • ED Team

Please try to keep reports to one per thread it just complicates matters when dealing with issues. 

I believe FLOOD issues are already reported, we will investigate however

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

point 2,3 & 4 seem ok to us when we test

point 1,5 and 6 we will need to investigate 

thanks

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

1) Undesignate button dont leave FLOOD mode back into RWS as described in manual. Undesignate now function as LTWS target designation/switching between more radar contacts.

reported 

There it is:
Tracks and Tacwiev files have number added which points onto bug presented there.
AIM-7_FLOOD_2-3.tr    AIM-7_FLOOD_2-3.zip.acmi

AIM-7_FLOOD_3-4.trk    AIM-7_FLOOD_3-4.zip.acmi

AIM-7_FLOOD_3-5.trk    AIM-7_FLOOD_3-5.zip.acmi

AIM-7_FLOOD_6.trk    AIM-7_FLOOD_6.zip.acmi

I can make some graphics, if some of my points are not clear.

Edited by GumidekCZ

4 hours ago, [ED]Obi said:

Hi - On point 6, the target has to be within the large circle for the whole of the missiles flight 

checking the others now

Can you please give me is single explanation or evidence of why that? According to me, when AIM-7 have no reflected energy detected, it fly straight forward, but than if any target emerge in FLOOD cone and reflect energy back into missile seeker FOV, missile will start to guide on it (if battery still provide energy 90 sec for P variant).

Just to be sure, this whole report is about Hornet FLOOD /(F-14 BORESIGHT) mode.

Edited by GumidekCZ
  • Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 11:29 AM, [ED]Obi said:

for points 2,3 and 4, i can not see an issue in your tracks - the first missile fired hits the target. 

What? Did you really watched the Trakc/Tacview BUG_3-4?:

image.png

nullMe and hostile nose to nose under 6 nm with 4 AIM-7 hostile reflection still in its FOV of seeker. Non of them intercepted!

Not even the 5th released AIM-7 at range of 4,5nm.

Same behaviour can be seen on my Acmi file:AIM-7_BUG.zip.acmi This time targets are above terrain reflections to seeker.

Edited by GumidekCZ

• 4 weeks later...

My another try with 3 BUGs:

My first AIM-7 launch:

• Fired AIM-7 under range of 10nm, and it took WHOLE 7 SECONDS (flight of 2.5nm measured on ground) to active its seeker and start guiding. You can see that missile flies straight forward intentionaly launched slightly off the target to the left side. And it starts guiding after 7 sec from launch.
  • Second and third launch made in STT and switched to FLOOD mode at around 8.0nm - none of these missiles guided itself to the target
  • Even more bug found, that form Commanded FLOOD mode, "RESET" button not working.

AIM-7_BUG_.trk

Edited by GumidekCZ