Datalink and IFF

El Pilotto

This is getting me frustrated.

Some time ago Datalink on F\A-18 was updated and from that day is stopped working for me. Literaly I have no info on d\l page, nor can I get an IFF on target. 

And yes, the IFF and D\L are turned on UFC and AWACS is in the area (i have the d\l on F-16 for instance). What I have done wrong? And what frequncy should be set on D\L? 

Glad if someone could help.

22 minutes ago, El Pilotto said:

And yes, the IFF and D\L are turned on UFC.

Did you press D/L button twice and pressed ON?

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 3080 TUF OC 10Gb * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

The D/L page is now Link-4 on the first press and Link-16 on the second (the one with the AIC, F/F1, F/F2, VOCA, and VOCB options). At least up to the latest patch there was a "convenience" bug though where enabling TCN would enable Link 16 at least partally, don't know if that changed.

Edited by Laurreth

Hi guys.

Only for info: Link 16 operates in the radio frequency band between 960–1,215MHz. Also, Link-16 transmissions use frequency hopping, that is, they transmit a bit of information on one frequency, jump to another frequency, transmit again, and so on.

The Link-16's operation is not like other DataLinks where (to put it simply) you select a frequency, and transmit/receive encrypted data.

Link-16 libraries are programmed on the ground by specialized teams that, based on the tactical situation or the mission to be carried out, prepare a suitable library for each occasion or a standard library for common use (for example, each country has a standard library to use within your own FIR).

These libraries include information about transmission times, reception times, frequencies, units that can transmit or receive, and when they can do so.

These libraries are loaded on the ground into the plane's MIDS equipment, and the pilot is instructed to load the necessary library with certain parameters.

The pilot cannot select any frequency because these, as I mentioned before, are pre-established in the design phase of the library itself.

The pilot can only select which library he is going to use to link with other units. To do this, it will synchronize the time with a unit (called NTR-Net Time Reference) like the rest of the participating units and will select the number of the unit that will be in that library, so that the Link16 configures itself automatically.

In this way, once the Link16 link has been established with other units, it will receive information (if it is established in the library), or it will transmit it (same case, depending on the library), in the assigned times.

For example, an F-18 that is integrated into a combat group where there are AEGIS ships, could receive such a large amount of air traffic information that it would block its own system... A well-designed library would avoid this, allowing for example that it only receive tracks classified as suspicious or enemy and only friendly surface tracks, to give an example.

From what I've seen in DCS World, there are Link-16 setup screens, but they're not 100% operational yet.

Basically right now you can do a Link-16 ON/OFF, nothing more.

I hope this helps a little to understand how Link-16 works.

Greetings.

Edited by CN_Iceman
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

http://www.icemansoft.es

LIAN LI PC-O11 Dynamic Razer Edition | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Intel i9-9900K @5.0Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Liquid Cooler 240 | MSI RTX 2080 Super Gaming X Trio | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 4000 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | 2 x Trustmaster MFD | Oculus Rift | Steelseries Siberia 650 RGB | G.Skill Ripjaws KM780 MX | Logitech G502 HERO

The D/L page is now Link-4 on the first press and Link-16 on the second (the one with the AIC, F/F1, F/F2, VOCA, and VOCB options). At least up to the latest patch there was a "convenience" bug though where enabling TCN would enable Link 16 at least partally, don't know if that changed.
Not a bug, it's mentioned in some WPs.

On 6/24/2022 at 10:26 AM, El Pilotto said:

I guess the TCN was the issue. I found that sertain channels are interfiering with the Link-16 freq. Case closed, I guess. 

Nevertheless, thx for answering. 

That's indeed the case. Here's an overview of TACAN channels that affect Link-16:

TACAN_range.png

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 1 month later...

So, where is the documentation, and Wagner training video on the current state of the D/L & IFF? They seem to be missing!

• Like 2

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...