I have to talk about mission 1 (spoilers)

Still just chuckling with joy at the level of challenge BD and his crew sees fit to throw at us in an introductory training mission. 

First attempt, last night, thought I was sierra hotel because I managed to plug with the tanker on the first try, my first time at night and in weather. Flew a good approach and wasn't expecting the waveoff call - it was 1AM already and I was worn out - thought I could catch a wire so I did. Mission score 50, failed to progress, probably would have been grounded IRL for ignoring the LSO. 

Second attempt today, waved off the approach, sitting in an air conditioned basement and sweating as I hope I will see some lights of Cyprus out there in the pitch dark before I run out of gas or screw up and crash. Finally a nice lit up runway! Piece of cake. Oh no, this crosswind is WICKED. Never had to fly one before where I have to keep the runway outside the HUD to stay lined up. I guess I need to read up on crosswind landings. I put wheels on the runway and thought I was home free, cut throttle and popped all the brakes. The Hornet leaned over on one wing like a main gear had snapped (but it hadn't), skidded off the runway and crossed over to the left taxiway, then skidded 180 around and came to a stop 5 feet from a parked C-130. Checked an external view and my nose gear tires were gone.

I think IRL the jet is FUBAR and I'm stuck on Cyprus for a while. But I scored 90, all is forgiven and now I get to try mission 2 and see what crazy surprises are in store next.

I absolutely love this, but I'm mad I couldn't keep that landing on the runway. I wish I could attempt it again without going through the whole mission. Thanks BD, Jello, Hozer and crew!

Edited by JethroTundra
  • Like 3

I just had a very similar experience. Well past midnight, probably should've gone to bed already. Flew the two best approaches of my life, along with the sweatiest palms of my life. I had to step out for a smoke after the second missed approach!

Then I figured it would just be a chill landing on a long runway, but boy was I wrong!

I nailed it though and proceeded to blind the F out of the poor guy driving the truck.

Really the only negative feedback I have is that the campaign should come with a six-pack of beer for in the O-club after the mission!

Massive thanks BD and crew!

• Like 2

The first mission was awesome. Good way to start the campaign.  The first raven one campaign hooked me till the last mission. Played out like a good book.   One thing to remember when you divert is to turn that antiskid on for the runway. Otherwise you’ll lock the brakes up. 

• Like 2

On 6/23/2022 at 8:05 PM, JethroTundra said:

I put wheels on the runway and thought I was home free, cut throttle and popped all the brakes. The Hornet leaned over on one wing like a main gear had snapped (but it hadn't), skidded off the runway and crossed over to the left taxiway, then skidded 180 around and came to a stop 5 feet from a parked C-130. Checked an external view and my nose gear tires were gone.

Did you do field landings checks?  like Antiskid ON? 

as per carrier traps you have them OFF. brakes application without could be tricky.

13 hours ago, pokeraccio said:

Did you do field landings checks?  like Antiskid ON? 

as per carrier traps you have them OFF. brakes application without could be tricky.

Yes, I had antiskid on. I don't know what the problem was. I assumed it was that I touched down with such a large yaw in relation to the runway heading, but I don't know what to do about that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JethroTundra said:

Yes, I had antiskid on. I don't know what the problem was. I assumed it was that I touched down with such a large yaw in relation to the runway heading, but I don't know what to do about that.

Kick the rudder shortly before touchdown to get the plane in line with the runway.

Crosswind landings are one of my favorite things in DCS 🙂

• Like 3

System: 7800X3D / Asus RTX 4090 OC / 64GB 3600mhz / Pimax Crystal / VKB GF3 Ultimate

Oh, this first mission! Absolutely crazy experience. I was somehow able to complete it with 100 result. Reacted to the LSO wave-off direction at the very last moment. Eventually landed with 0.8 fuel state on Cyprus LCRA fighting really strong crosswind and was close to get off the runway despite I turned anti-skid on well before landing, but managed to retain control. It's definitely not the mission you want to try at night when you are tired (I wish I knew it in advance). Looking forward to the next mission, great work BD, Jell-O and team!

• Like 1

Все написанное выше является моим оценочным суждением

Everything written above reflects my personal opinion

Занимаюсь "активной пропагандой Американцев на данном форуме" © Flanker

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2022 at 2:05 PM, JethroTundra said:

skidded off the runway and crossed over to the left taxiway, then skidded 180 around and came to a stop 5 feet from a parked C-130

Make sure antiskid is enabled.  Easy to forget when it needs to be disabled for the Boat.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2022 at 7:42 PM, lax22 said:

Kick the rudder shortly before touchdown to get the plane in line with the runway.

Crosswind landings are one of my favorite things in DCS 🙂

This. 

I tried to slip it in but didn't have enough rudder authority to keep her lined up. Pretty wicked. 

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, what an amazing beginning! I had the CASE III recovery lined up perfectly, redirected and had my first attempt at a crosswind landing 😄 Broke my gears coming into the runway and saw the fire in my mirrors, so had to eject into the rain. Hopefully mecanics can fix her up. 

Score 90 - next mission. 

Great stuff

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I feel better reading this thread 🙂 Just did this mission first try and it was certainly the most stressful DCS I've ever flown. Lost Cajun and the tanker in the goo and and hopped around like a headless chicken only to be told by Cajun to come off right as I was finally about to plug. I've flown plenty of Case III's and had my misses and (manual) go arounds, but this is the first time I've experienced being at the mercy of approach - while being able to see absolutely zilch in the goo and with the velocity vector hopping all over the place at the slightest touch. Brief said 2.9 bingo and I got sent off at 2.2 which stressed me out even more so I bungled the profile and went too high and wasted even more fuel.

Came in for the landing at Cypress and was absolutely flabbergasted. I've done only a little crosswind landing practice before, and this is probably twice the degree of wind I practiced with. Gave up the first approach in utter shock, flew around, nervously eyeing the IFEI. Got tires on the runway with my nose probably 45 degrees off, couldn't rudder it under control, and did the donuting into the adjacent taxiway. Thank god there wasn't any obstacles or vehicles to run into. Jet seemed to have come off the ordeal mostly unscathed, meekly got back on the runway to exit at the other end. Found the little truck, cursed at Knight for making light of my hellish near death experience... and then, to my horror, after taxiing for a few minutes the engine died with about 100lbs of fuel left, leaving me dark and stranded on the taxiway.

Thank god that still counted as a pass for the mission. I think I'd need some time to recover before attempting the whole thing again. Talk about night in the barrel!

(also almost-grudging appreciation for the degree of detail and realism. Truly next level even compared to the original R1)

• Like 1