How to update from Stable to open beta

I know this may sound like a dumb question but, I apparently have the stable version and would like to update to the Beta for the added performance features that are apparently there for the F-16 and other improvements. What would be the best way to update to Open Beta version? I am currently running the 2.7.14.24228 version and have been told I am running the stable version and that is why no updates lately on my version. 

As a side note, thank you all for your hard work, I just got the Syria Terrain, freaking awesome, I am flying the F-16 primarily and the F-18C a little. Have been flying the Viper for several years using BMS and you guys have given me a great reason to get my head out of my sphincter muscle and re-dedicate myself to sim flying again. Great job on everything you work so hard on. 

Sparkman 

25 minutes ago, Sparkman said:

... would like to update to the Beta for the added performance features that are apparently there for the F-16 and other improvements.

Those same features and improvements will arrive to your Stable version eventually .. Stable is updated on average every 2 months. You have to consider if it is really worth it, as OpenBeta can sometimes have annoying bugs ... bugs that usually are fixed before the updates reach the Stable version.

25 minutes ago, Sparkman said:

What would be the best way to update to Open Beta version? 

That depends on which version of DCS you have: Steam or Stand-alone. Both can be converted from Stable to Openbeta without needing a reinstall of DCS, but the download needed can be quite large if you have many Maps.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks for the replies, as long as the stable version will eventually update I will leave it alone. I do have the stand alone version not Steam. Thanks again for all you do.

Sparkman

Edited by Sparkman

I can only recommend to take the plunge and simply install the OpenBeta as well. Especiallly since you are not on Steam.

It's not like the installation will download everything again. You basically install a second version of DCS, paralllel to your stable version. During installation the openbeta will simply copy everything equal over from your stable installation folder.
Just don't forget to copy your controls settings too, or you will have to bind everything again.

OpenBeta is not only the way to enjoy all the new stuff earlier, it also gives you access to many grand MP servers otherwise closed to you.

Let's go:
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/beta/

further info:
DCS-World_v2.5_700x1000_v4_BETA.jpg

Edited by Rongor

8 hours ago, Sparkman said:

I do have the stand alone

Run cmd, go to main DCS installation directory, go into bin subfolder then run command:

DCS_updater.exe update 2.7.15.26783@openbeta

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 6/24/2022 at 10:53 AM, draconus said:

Run cmd, go to main DCS installation directory, go into bin subfolder then run command:

DCS_updater.exe update 2.7.15.26783@openbeta

Thanks M8! worked like a charm but I had to put a ".\" in front of the command. After that it changed my stable flawless into the beta 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
45 minutes ago, greyeagle787 said:

I too am going to install OB with Stable already installed. How do I make sure my kneeboards, control bindings, etc get copied over?? Thanks!

Hi,

As far as I know, there is no automatic copy of your dcs configurations stored at /saved games/dcs/ .. it is a manual things and there are at least two ways to proceed with it:

1) copy your current  /saved games/dcs/ onto  /saved games/dcs.openbeta/ before running your OB for the first time. Thus each DCS would have essentially independent settings. The downside is that you would have separate Flight Logbooks, separate control bindings, etc.

2) use the command mklink /J  /saved games/dcs.openbeta /saved games/dcs/

this would have both DCS sharing the same settings. The downside is that sometimes there are aircrafts that have different keybinds on openbeta and stable, which could produce control problems.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Solmanbandit said:

Is the open beta version not available now?  

The Stable and the Openbeta branches were unified about a month ago. To avoid backward compatibility issues, the folder names on existing DCS installtions were preserved, so on your disk it may be called Openbeta, but it is actually the same version as Stable.

39 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

The Stable and the Openbeta branches were unified about a month ago. To avoid backward compatibility issues, the folder names on existing DCS installtions were preserved, so on your disk it may be called Openbeta, but it is actually the same version as Stable.

Technically the Stable and OpenBeta branches still exist and work fine. They both just point to the same version now (atm 2.9.3.51704).

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

14 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

Technically the Stable and OpenBeta branches still exist and work fine.

Please explain how the open beta branch exists at the moment.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• ED Team
5 minutes ago, draconus said:

For everyone who had open beta installed you still have the open beta branch, the difference now is all versions stable and open beta are the same version number. 

So when we update we push the same update to both branches. 

For you as the user this means it is seamless and the only thing you need to do is update the version you have installed already.

In the future we may adjust your installed version to remove mention of the open beta. 

All fresh downloads going forward will be the one DCS version 

thanks 

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

20 minutes ago, draconus said:

I think BIGNEWY already answered that. In fact you can still use the updater commands to switch between stable and openbeta, not that there is any point in doing so.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• ED Team
Just now, QuiGon said:

I think BIGNEWY already answered that. Inf act you can still use the updater commands to switch between stable and openbeta, not that there is any point in doing so.

correct, this would be pointless as they are both the same version. 

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
8 minutes ago, Nocke217 said:

Is it correct to assume the identity of stable and open beta is only temporary?

eventually everyone will be on the stable version, but you do not need to do anything other than continue to update with the version you already have installed. 

thank you 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thomasim said:

Does this mean updates will be rolled out more frequently now?

They want to push updates every 6 weeks or so, if everything goes well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1