TGP issue with mark and steer points

skywalker22
Go to solution Solved by itn,

Can you guys check it out what is going on at Nevada using TGP and GBU-24 bomb?

I created mark point on target to drop GBU-24 bombs, but when I tried to use that mark point as steering point:

1. there was some off-set with coordinates to the right, and after few tries, I managed to lock on one target (don`t know why it then picked the correct coordinates)

2. after bomb release, it did not end on the target.

Tracks attached, to see what is going on.

f16_nevada_gbu24_tgp_issue_2.trk f16_nevada_gbu24_tgp_issue.trk

Or is it me, who is doing something wrong here?

Edited by skywalker22
changed title

• skywalker22 changed the title to TGP issue with mark and steer points
  • Solution

Checked the last one. I think you need to Cursor Zero (CZ).

When you slew, the slew is kept in the system as a cursor delta. It is kept and transferred when you switch steerpoints. So if you have slewed, and you switch to another STPT, pod will look at that STPT offset by the delta (slew) that exists in the system. This is often not what you want, so you'll cursor zero (CZ) when you have slews and want to look at another STPT. CZ removes the delta so now it will look at exactly the STPT. That's why you want to CZ pretty much always after finished making your marks and after switching to the mark (STPT) you wish to use. No need to CZ between marks.

And as I understand it, this is with all sensors and is system-wide. You can use CZ from any page where it's available (at least FCR and TGP) and it removes the cursor delta.

And a helpful tip: On MARK page enter 0 and it will set current markpoint as the selected STPT. No need to go to STPT page to switch STPT after creating a markpoint.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, skywalker22 said:

I remember having this same issue a while ago, but I just can`t remember what was the reason for it.

Thanks @itn, this is it! Cursor zero is indeed needed to press to eliminate that off-set. I said I had this same "issue" before, but I just couldn`t remember it.

Anyway, one thing salved.

18 hours ago, Vortex225 said:

Just out of curiosity, does TMS down (pressed twice) provide the same CZ functionality, or do we have to press the CZ PB for the indicated SOI? 

Thanks! 

Good question about the TMS aft, and it's something I left out somewhat on purpose because I'm not sure how it should actually work and if it's actually CZ or not. I'm no expert and have no IRL experience so I'm talking about the in-game and public IRL information there is.  In practice I think often you can just TMS aft your way back to the STPT and I think that's in my muscle memory by now.

I guess you could verify if TMS aft is truly Cursor Zero by seeing if using TMS aft also slews FCR to the STPT, or if only TGP is slewed. If both go, this would indicate it's truly Cursor Zero and not for example some kind of "TGP only" function. If only TGP slewed, then it seems like it's some kind of pod function (true to IRL or maybe a bug in DCS) and not actual Cursor Zero.

In one unclassified Basic Employment Manual (BEM) from an air force operating block 30/52 Vipers and LANTIRN, in one part it instructs the pilot to get in the habit of TMS AFT and CZ. So it seems at least in those non-"USAF/ANG circa 2007 Vipers with LITENING" you couldn't use TMS aft to CZ. You use TMS Aft to break track and then CZ to CZ. But it's a different variant, different user, different pod so I wouldn't call this as proper evidence to how it should work in the DCS variant.

And again, CZ is independent of SOI so wherever you see CZ OSB and press it, it's for all sensors.