"SEC CALC & SEC CARB emergency modes tests",how to perform it?

Akiazusa

Hi

In the game manual,regarding post start procedures,there is an item called "SEC CALC & SEC CARB emergency modes tests"

QQ截图20220624161910.png

But how to properly perform this test?

I watched some videos about IRL start of Mirage 2000-D/2000-5 on YouTube trying to figure out what this test is,but didn't get too much,though other tests could be clearly seen in those videos.

Especially after this awesome engine update,I become more curious about this.

I guess I can't be the only guy who prefer flying by the book,right? 😆

Any help?thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Kyoto Animation forever!

Hello,

first some explanations

Normal control of the engine RPM is made by a flexible control (teleflex) which move a lever on the M53 regulator.

If this control is blocked or cut there is an electrical motor on the engine which can move this lever (the "secours carb).

To test the secours carb

At iddle position of throttle you toggle the secours carb baber pole cover (you can observe the increasing of engine RPM)

then you try to accelerate the engine with the small joystick to see if electrical motor is working properly

finally you close the cover (engine RPM decrease to normal value).

As I remember you never test secours calc on normal procedure

Edited by Gallus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Gallus said:

Hello,

first some explanations

Normal control of the engine RPM is made by a flexible control (teleflex) which move a lever on the M53 regulator.

If this control is blocked or cut there is an electrical motor on the engine which can move this lever (the "secours carb).

To test the secours carb

At iddle position of throttle you toggle the secours carb baber pole cover (you can observe the increasing of engine RPM)

then you try to accelerate the engine with the small joystick to see if electrical motor is working properly

finally you close the cover (engine RPM decrease to normal value).

As I remember you never test secours calc on normal procedure

wow,I got it.  Thanks for the detailed explanation 😃      Really appreciate.👍

Kyoto Animation forever!

Hi, 

In fact this answer is partially correct. 

There is a Sec Calc + Sec Carb engine test that can be done on a regular basis upon mechanic's request. 

And the regular test on each flight is as follow:

- put 65% rpm

- sec. Carb down

- check that RPM falls down around 50% 

- sec. Carb up 

- check that RPM returns to 65%

_ put throttle back firmly to check that you don't cut off inadvertently or that RPM doesn't fall too much

You're done. 

You don't use the RPM up and down in Sec Carb mode on regular test because it's a switch that not designed to be used too much, it's an emergency device. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, El Chapo said:

Hi, 

In fact this answer is partially correct. 

There is a Sec Calc + Sec Carb engine test that can be done on a regular basis upon mechanic's request. 

And the regular test on each flight is as follow:

- put 65% rpm

- sec. Carb down

- check that RPM falls down around 50% 

- sec. Carb up 

- check that RPM returns to 65%

_ put throttle back firmly to check that you don't cut off inadvertently or that RPM doesn't fall too much

You're done. 

You don't use the RPM up and down in Sec Carb mode on regular test because it's a switch that not designed to be used too much, it's an emergency device. 

Nice and detailed.  Now I can understand what they did in those IRL start video.😃

Thanks a lot for the clarification.👍

Edited by Akiazusa

Kyoto Animation forever!

16 hours ago, El Chapo said:

Small precision, Sec Carb isn't a RPM control but a direct control over fuel flow. It also disables all safeties on RPM. Which means it can be used with a loss of RPM meter

Edited by Kercheiz
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Kercheiz said:

Small precision, Sec Carb isn't a RPM control but a direct control over fuel flow. It also disables all safeties on RPM. Which means it can be used with a loss of RPM meter

Nice small detail,thanks for the supplement.😃

Kyoto Animation forever!