Really can't make my mind up on the Channel Map

Shibbyland

Got the Normandy Map, got the Spitfire, P-51, Bf-109 and I'm about to buy the P-47.

I had planned on buying the Channel and P-47 bundle if they went on sale but theyre removed from sale. Buying individually saves about $10 on usual bundle price.

Just dunno about the Channel. I've had some spectacular dogfights over England where I'm totally sold on the map but then ground attack over France all I can think is that I've already got this with Normandy. 

To complicate things, I tried the Mosquito on a free trial and now think maybe I'll pass on the Channel map and pick up the P-47 and Mosquito instead.

I hurl money at DCS like no other game I own but over the years I've tallied up my spending and now have to be a lot more conservative because it's getting silly haha.

Who's got both? Who would refund/trade in one or the other if they could?

1 hour ago, Shibbyland said:

… Just dunno about the Channel. I've had some spectacular dogfights over England where I'm totally sold on the map but then ground attack over France all I can think is that I've already got this with Normandy. 

Personally, I prefer Maps over aircraft Modules, as they enhance every aircraft I already own. The Channel is quite different from Normandy, and it’s also the location of the excellent Beware beware Campaign.

To complicate things, I tried the Mosquito on a free trial and now think maybe I'll pass on the Channel map and pick up the P-47 and Mosquito instead.

The Mosquito is really nice, but on my case I try to avoid purchasing more than one aircraft at a time, as my preference is to be dedicated to a single aircraft at a time for a period of 2-4 months, my poor brain can’t really master two or more aircrafts simultaneously 

I hurl money at DCS like no other game I own but over the years I've tallied up my spending and now have to be a lot more conservative because it's getting silly haha.

I used to have dozens of games on my PC, nowadays I chose to concentrate on DCS exclusively… that helps keep the budget in control and I end up enjoying this sim much more .. tough I admit that I also play a truck driving sim when I need a more relaxing experience 🙂

I have both … wouldn’t refund neither one, the only DCS aircraft I would ever like to refund, is the Hawk 😪

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I’m fully in agreement with Rudels.  Have both and wouldn’t give either back.

I’ve just given up trying to stop myself from buying modules, though it gets easier when you’ve already got most…

• Like 2

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

The Channel is one of the best looking maps in the game. Second only to Syria in my Opinion, but far better than the Normandy.

I mean, I can't give you any real advise on how to priorize (I really cant, 'cause I don't, I simply buy them all .... 🙈), but in your case, I would go with the Channel Map first. (...and then buy all the other stuff.... 😂)

Edit:

On re-reading your OP. You should definetely pick up one of the newer "high fidelity" WW2-Aircraft. Either one is fine (P-47 or Mosquito) - it's a huge leap forward in quality over the older ones. Not from a simulation point of view, but from visual fidelity. They are just gorgeous. 🤩 (....and then pick up the Channel as well!)

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

The maps and tech packs are what brings the SIM together for me.

Have both and wouldn't have it any other way.

My recommendation would be to buy the Mosquito and Channel map as a bundle if it is offered during the next sale. Like I have more modules then I can actually find time to learn and fly, so I can now afford to wait for new modules to mature a little before picking them up. The Mosquito being the only WWII item I don't have yet puts it next on the list.

Normandy seems to be more popular in multiplayer, it is larger (and an update/expansion is planned, with London and Paris, I think), but less detailed and somewhat geographically inaccurate (UK side is practically not modeled currently beyond coastlines and general landscape)

Channel is beautifully detailed, has airfields of all shapes and sizes, and is somewhat easier for visual navigation since terrain is more detailed and thus more distinct features can be found, plus it looks more "diverse" terrain-wise. Also, more historic campaigns are made on Channel map as far as I know (the newer ones by Reflected at least).

I have both, Channel was first, then I got Normandy and liked it as much as Channel. I wouldn't refund either.

Edited by Aernov

Trial the Channel map and see what you think. 

I was very excited when it was announced and concerned about the future of the Normandy map.  Now the reverse is true; an announced increase in the detail area of Normandy and a lack of a roadmap for the Channel.

When ED contracted UGRA to make the Normandy map, England was not even going to be on it. After much outcry from the forums,ED realized that bases in England were necessary for the map and they agreed to have the mP expand to include them but limited detail in England. 

UGRA has released two major updates to the map so far with the addition of London and Paris announced. Between updates they released two expansions to the excellent Syria map and I hope with London we will get a level of detail in England that at least matches the Channel map and the same for the addition of Paris for France.

The Channel map already has had its final release according to ED newsletters. In England tt has the best grass airfields in DCS by far and the suspension of disbelief is easy to achieve. France on the other hand needs work.  With no roadmap for the future of the map I am a at a loss , it is after all just the top right corner of the Normandy map with detail, once Normandy expands details into that area what will be it's purpose? I am hopeful that it will be expanded to include all of the area covered by Normandy and to thee north and east, but set in a historically accurate 1940 for a future BoB scenario and aircraft set.

Currently I love flying on the Channel but get 10x more use from Normandy.

YMMV

• Like 1

It depends on your flying goals, I suppose.

Channel Map allows for a rather short flight time between England and Europe, i.e. you get to the action much quicker. At least that's how I see it.

I wouldn't place much emphasis on the "road-map" and who promised what. Given ED's atrocious delays in releasing ANYTHING related to WWII just settle down on the current features/abilities of the game. Channel map is far more advanced than Normandy in graphics/objects quality.

Definitely pick up A8, P47, and the Mosquito. Their DM is excellent as well as the graphical representation of it, plus high res cockpits.

Edited by peachmonkey

All good thoughts. I went ahead and bought the Channel. I just don't enjoy Normandy much but the moment I trialed the Channel it's a cut above. Ended up buying P-47 instead of Mosquito. I've trialed the P-47 twice now before buying it. For me it's easily the best warbird module in the game. It's possibly one of the best modules over all, definitely up there with the likes of the A-10C just a shame there's not much single player content for the warbirds.

• Like 1

Question, STEAM is selling the Channel Map for $27.99  and ED is at $34.99.   Other prices seem to be inline on Steams, but I didn't compare them all.  My DCS game is not a STEAM version, so I am guessing I won't being able to take advantage of the $7 different in price, right???  I don't see that many 50% deals this go around?       

10 minutes ago, aeross60 said:

so I am guessing I won't being able to take advantage of the $7 different in price, right??? 

yes, you can … steam purchases can be used on the stand-alone DCS, its on the FAQ

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

On 6/24/2022 at 2:31 AM, Shibbyland said:

Got the Normandy Map, got the Spitfire, P-51, Bf-109 and I'm about to buy the P-47.

I had planned on buying the Channel and P-47 bundle if they went on sale but theyre removed from sale. Buying individually saves about $10 on usual bundle price.

Just dunno about the Channel. I've had some spectacular dogfights over England where I'm totally sold on the map but then ground attack over France all I can think is that I've already got this with Normandy. 

Get Reflected's Wolfpack campaign, for the Jug.. you will absolutely love it.  You will greatly appreciate the Channel map then.

• Like 1

Sempre Fortis