SAM and Track Targets

777coletrain

In one of Wagz recent mini updates he states that they are working the time to resolve search targets to track targets (I think?). I'm wondering though if we should be able to lock search targets in STT, SAM, and DTT since they don't require a track. I'm not entirely sure but just wanted to know.

The word "lock" is a little nebulous but in general yes, lock (or hard lock to avoid confusion) is STT and other methods are "bugged" or "soft locked" in the slang. As said above RWS's SAM modes with 1 or 2 targets get a little extra antenna attention every cycle whereas in TWS it's a simple scan.

It's important to know that the radar is always attempting to correlate contact hits into track files even in modes that don't display them. When you command TOI on a displayed contact symbol the radar may already have an associated track file ready to go or if not it will go through a quick process to find that contact and generate enough data to have a track quickly. That second one could theoretically have difficulty succeeding.