Did the flight model for the A-10C get changed?

Go to solution Solved by jaylw314,

A couple updates ago, I recall the F-16 FLCS got changed, and there were some issues with gains where people complained of the controls being too sensitive, then there was a fix this last update. 

Somewhere around that time, I think I started noticing that the A-10CII controls became more sensitive as well.  Normally, it takes 1/2 to 3/4 back stick to rotate the nose, but recently, I've been almost having tail strikes from the nose snapping up with that kind of input.  Likewise, at cruise speed, the controls sometimes feel much more sensitive than I recall in both pitch and roll, and I feel like I've been yanking the plane around lately.  I'm wondering if this is somehow connected to the F-16 flight control changes.

The problem is, I didn't record or test anything beforehand, so I have no idea if this is all in my head.  Has anyone else noticed this?

Edited by jaylw314

I still have a fairly old 2.7.9 Stable DCS installation and compared it to the latest 2.7.15 OpenBeta. I see no differences in the A-10C II handling whatsoever.

Test case 1: I recorded a short flight in 2.7.9 in a clean jet, accelerating to 250 KIAS, then doing a spiraling 3 g descent with a pull-out at exactly 10,000 ft, and then re-accelerating to 250 KIAS. The playback in 2.7.15 showed the exact same numbers.

Test case 2: A-10C II Instant Action -> Caucasus -> Takeoff. Without checking any particular numbers, the stick force at an approximated rotation speed of 135 KIAS just felt identical between both DCS versions.

As far as I can tell, the handling characteristics between these 2 versions are as identical as it gets. 😉

• Like 2

• Solution

Hmm, now I have a sneaking suspicion it was from updating my joystick firmware, but I don't know how that could be but it still looks ok.  All the curves and responses on the axis tuners still look ok, it's very strange.  Thanks for the info guys!

Update: Yes, it was indeed the joystick firmware update.  Recalibration fixed it, even though it looked fine on all the visual scales <shrug>

Edited by jaylw314