TALD (ideas and tactic)

Goliathus

Hey guys, 

I want to open a topic about TALD usage in DCS game play.

No mean to criticize the TALD implementation, it's great to have them simulated and they have obviously important place in real military life. 

But what tactics do you find best for the usage of TALDs in DCS? 

I'm thinking if it is reasonable to shoot TALDs on SAMs to saturate its RADAR or force it to stay turned on, when I can saturate its radar even with JSAWs that can bang the thing with plenty of luck if they manage to get through the defense... 

In DCS money isn't any issue, so there is really no reason to shoot TALDs instead of something more expensive and there is also no reason in DCS to force the enemy to spend expensive missiles on cheap decoys only to ruin his budget. 

There is clearly an advantage in numbers - it is possible to carry 4 more TALDs than JSAWs. 

Can you think of any other pros carrying TALDs? 

Do you have any tactics that you use more successfully with TALDs than without them? 

Please consider this only as a general discussion, that can help to build some tactics for the TALDs in DCS. 

Cheers, 

Goliathus

Well, when dynamic campaign drops you'll have to mind your weapon stocks, and then TALD will be useful when you just want to give the SAM something to shoot at while HARMs do their work. I think they're also lighter than notoriously heavy and draggy JSOWs. You can carry loadouts such as 6xTALD, 2xHARM, which may be more effective and easier to fly with than 4xJSOW, 2xHARM combination. 

Last night I let loose 6 of them and offset 45 degrees right when fighting Ace level J-11. It seemed to me it went for TALDs initially and I had a bit of breathing room. Needs more testing I think as it was too late for me to watch the track. 

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

On 6/25/2022 at 1:50 PM, Habu_69 said:

Are TALDs effective at decoying AA radar missiles?

In DCS not sure, IRL they'd certainly show up as contacts, and might entice a fighter looking for an easy kill to go after them and waste missiles. However, they do not act like an air to air threat would, so a fighter pilot could notice they aren't reacting to what he's doing and get suspicious. If VID is required, then getting an enemy fighter to waste time by getting VID on a dinky TALD would certainly be a possibility. However, if they find the launcher and lock onto it, TALDs wouldn't do anything.

6 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

In DCS not sure, IRL they'd certainly show up as contacts, and might entice a fighter looking for an easy kill to go after them and waste missiles. However, they do not act like an air to air threat would, so a fighter pilot could notice they aren't reacting to what he's doing and get suspicious. If VID is required, then getting an enemy fighter to waste time by getting VID on a dinky TALD would certainly be a possibility. However, if they find the launcher and lock onto it, TALDs wouldn't do anything.

AI certainly goes after them, sometimes even attack. I have forced F-14 ace-AI to spend 4 his missiles on my 4 TALDs. First two I launched when he had showed up on RWR, next 2 after "recommit".

Верните короновирус в качестве главной проблемы, спать в маске буду, обещаю.

Скрытый текст

Hardware: AMD 5900x, 64Gb RAM@3200MHz, NVidia RTX3070 8Gb, Monitor 3440x1440(21:9), Samsung 980pro 1Tb NVMe SSD, VKB Gunfighter+MCGU, Virpil Throttle CM3, VKB T-Rudder, TrackIR.