Can't get the carrier landing right.

Gunfreak

Now that we got a good Harrier carrier. I thought it was about time to learn to land on one. 
But I just can't
I followed the grim reaper video.

I have about 2500lb fuel by the time I land, I have the flaps down, water on, nozzel is anywhere from 65 to 80 degrees, but once I get below 70-80 knots the plane just falls into the ocaen, even if I crank the nozzole to 100%  in the grim reaper video he can hover just fine, but I fall down like a rock. He could hover at about r93 thorttle while I fall down even at over R100 besides the about 2500 fuel, I have 2 sidewinders and two empty fuel tanks, 

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

Use the VREST page to see how much fuel can you have in current conditions and still be able to hover.

If I were to guess the GR video is a couple years old, at some point Harrier had its engine power reduced to be more realistic.

For vertical landing I jettison all remaining stores to be as light as possible, even then it's not easy.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dr_Pavelheer said:

Use the VREST page to see how much fuel can you have in current conditions and still be able to hover.

If I were to guess the GR video is a couple years old, at some point Harrier had its engine power reduced to be more realistic.

For vertical landing I jettison all remaining stores to be as light as possible, even then it's not easy.

Didn't understand much of the VREST page, but I tried to get below 2000lb of fuel, and that worked. I didn't want to drop the tanks, as the british always tried to land with them.

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

Go and get Chuck's Guide for Harrier, everything is explained there.

In VREST page click VL (Vertical Landing), you will have F+W value, it means maximum combined weight of fuel and water you can have to attempt vertical landing in current conditions either wet, with water enabled, or dry, with water disabled. By default you have 500 lbs of water on board.

Keep in mind by default those values assume you're going to land on the boat, if you're landing at a FARP that's located significantly above the sea level you're going to need to remember that engine generates less thrust at higher altitudes. You can input FELV (field elevation, altitude of your landing spot) to allow computer to make necessary corrections.

Hi

In the VREST page, select VL and look for your gross weight GW. To attempt a VL you need it under 20.000 lbs

Burn fuel, dump fuel, drop stores... but get under 20.000 lbs. The less GW, the easier the VL

Hover stop nozzle should be 82°

Regards

Edited by Caldero
  • Like 1