Getting back to AV8B and reviewing updated GBU-54JDAM procedure

DmitriKozlowsky

Been off AV-8B.

Reviewing using GBU-54B.

So with GBU-54B selected, ARM ON, and TPOD with 1688 lase code. From about 7000 AGL. In A/G master

Select target target with TPOD. Long press Waypoint Increment to load target to JDAM. Fly into release envelope, and drop the weapon by pickling the weapon.

So I get error at release que, when pickle. I get flashing //// bars. I don't recall seeing those before. I wonder of JDAM engagement procedure has changed. Perhaps I forgot something. The invelope for JDAM does say IN RNG.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2022 at 9:52 PM, Nealius said:

There's a bit of a bug where the fuse keeps resetting itself to SAFE any time you deselect the bomb. It keeps catching me by surprise as well.

May not be a bug, but a RW feature. GBU-54 JDAM are so precise and so powerful that NAVAIR wants the release of armed weapon to be conscious choice. Of course the final safety, after fuse armed release is to put the spot away from whatever or whoever is not supposed to be in blast radius.  Even in DCS that has happened to me. I was tracking ChiCom T-59 and a neutral truck+bus convoy came into view of TPOD. IMHO, it is a good procedure for JDAMs to have TPOD zoomed out to allow accurate lasing of target and watch for either friendlies or neutral civilians to enter the zone. If it does happen, slew away, and waste the weapon.

Back in RW 1999, the Gredlica bridge train tragedy. F-15E was striking rail bridge , a valid military target, with AGM-130 , and at last second a civilian train was crossing the bridge. Crew had no time to redirect the weapon. AGM-130 was a datalink guided weapon, but idea is same.