Waypoint/ flight option require visual ID before engaging a bogie

upyr1

Fairly sure there already is for some tasks.

For instance if you use one of the "Search then Engage" tasks, there should be a checkbox for "visual", which if I'm not mistaken requires the AI to spot the target visually before engaging.

Not sure what the AI's visual capabilities are though, testing seems to be a bit hit and miss but that was a fair while ago.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

8 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

Fairly sure there already is for some tasks.

For instance if you use one of the "Search then Engage" tasks, there should be a checkbox for "visual"

The option is "Visible" but it's not an acquisition requirement, it's a tickbox that makes the target visible to the AI even if it's beyond the AI's sensor's ability to detect it. In other words it's a cheat to force the AI to be able to find its target.

Visual ID options for RoE is something we really need given how often it was used in historical combat. It shouldn't be too hard to add. All AI aircraft have a visual sensor modeled. I have a simple script for testing it:

env.setErrorMessageBoxEnabled(false) -- Prevent error popup

local _group = Group.getByName('AWACSMain');
if not (_group and _group:isExist()) then return false; end
local _controller = _group:getController();
local _targets = _controller:getDetectedTargets(Controller.Detection.RADAR);
for _index, _target in ipairs(_targets) do
	if _target.visible then return true; end -- I see the enemy!!!
end
return false; -- I don't see the enemy...

You can change the Controller.Detecton.RADAR to be different sensors (RWR doesn't seem to work?). Visual detection when I lasted tested on an AI MiG-29 was about 3 miles distance on me and limited to the sides, front, and top of the canopy.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

On 6/26/2022 at 7:37 PM, Exorcet said:

The option is "Visible" but it's not an acquisition requirement, it's a tickbox that makes the target visible to the AI even if it's beyond the AI's sensor's ability to detect it. In other words it's a cheat to force the AI to be able to find its target.

Wow, you learn something new every day! Thanks!

That would also explain a few things.

Though I wonder why the visible checkbox does that, when the attack group/unit does the same function.

On 6/26/2022 at 7:37 PM, Exorcet said:

Visual ID options for RoE is something we really need given how often it was used in historical combat. It shouldn't be too hard to add. All AI aircraft have a visual sensor modeled. I have a simple script for testing it:

end

You can change the Controller.Detecton.RADAR to be different sensors (RWR doesn't seem to work?). Visual detection when I lasted tested on an AI MiG-29 was about 3 miles distance on me and limited to the sides, front, and top of the canopy.

Agreed.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 6/26/2022 at 2:50 AM, upyr1 said:

I know there is the option to limit missile launches to a missiles no escape zone but would a vis ID requirement option be much different?

I had a mission in the past where I was using the UNIT IN ZONE trigger. AI had weapon hold and triggered action with advanced action WEAPONS FREE, triggered when I entered the zone. It worked back then but I can't find the mission now. This however was a particular case where it was me running the intercept and not the other way around.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

21 hours ago, Exorcet said:

end

I'll have to give it a try. I think this would make a Veitnam era mission more realistic