Framerate intermittently drops 50% after spawning into a new aircraft.

Floyd1212

I'm not even sure where to start troubleshooting this one.

I'll start a mission in SP and spawn into one of several AH-64D sitting parked and cold.  My framerate hovers around 40 FPS as I start up the aircraft and perform my mission.  I get shot down and select "Change Role" and spawn into one of the other helos in parking. 

Sometimes, and I can't make sense of when/why, when I spawn into the fresh helo my FPS drops to around 20, and stays that way for the entire flight.  I tried jumping into a different helo several times, and always ended up stuck at 20 FPS.

I take off in that helo, get about 100 ft in the air and intentionally crash it.  Respawn into a new one and my FPS is back up to 40.

This has happened to me on several different missions, in both SP and MP.

I intend to so some additional troubleshooting to try and discern if there is some rhyme or reason to this, but i wanted to put it out there to the community to see if anyone else experienced anything similar?

• Like 1

Not the same parameters, but a reduction in framerates to about half. I have noticed this before a few times, but tonight on a multiplayer server I frequent I can recall some details, but no track unfortunately. The server is quite busy with regards to AI enemy air, and lots of ground units on both sides. It was night time so I was using pilot Pinviss (whatever its called), the drop in framerate was almost rhythmic in nature. Flying low over the foliage of the Syria map, the framerate went from steady 45-50, down to 18-20, back up to 45-50 etc every few minutes, like a minute of high and a minute of low, maybe even two minutes of each.

Switching off PNVSS (?) or changing the screens on the MFDs didn't have any effect, and I seem to only have this issue in the Apache, I do also fly other helicopters in the server.

64GB DDR4 3600mhz
Nvidia 3080Ti
Nvme 2TB Windows
Nvme 2Tb DCS

Edited by jonsky7

That sounds like a different issue than what I am experiencing.  I'm not talking about a fluctuation of framerate based on what is happening around me.

What I am describing is a drop to half my normal framerate at the very start of the flight, before I have even started anything up.  Then it stays at that FPS for the entire flight.  Then I get shot down and hop into a new one, and now my framerate is back to normal before I have even started anything up.

• ED Team

please add a track replay showing the issue and let us know your ingame settings

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

@jonsky7Hard to tell without a track file or video. Syria is pretty hard on FPS, especially during low level flight. So there could be something coming in view that has to be rendered or dropping out of view etc... Maybe some pre-load or LoD related stuff. Just guesswork here. Paired with the Apache cockpit it can drop frames even with good hardware. A track file or video with parallel resource manager (to see strain on GPU, GRAM, CPU, etc) plus your ingame settings could be a start for ED to look for errors/problems... i think. 😉

@Floyd1212Maybe take a look at your RAM and/or GRAM usage when the problem occurs. Sounds to me like something is cluttering up (or getting flushed out in the second case) when "switching" helos.

Hope that is a start! gl

K

16 hours ago, Floyd1212 said:

That sounds like a different issue than what I am experiencing.  I'm not talking about a fluctuation of framerate based on what is happening around me.

What I am describing is a drop to half my normal framerate at the very start of the flight, before I have even started anything up.  Then it stays at that FPS for the entire flight.  Then I get shot down and hop into a new one, and now my framerate is back to normal before I have even started anything up.

Sort of similar for me but happening during flight, I get that fluctuations in FPS happen based on scenery etc, but this is pretty much an exact halving of FPS, and doesn't seem to be particularly scenery related to me, more like rhythmic time related.