Startup procedure help

-Nighthawk-

Hey,

I've just started learning the KA-50 with the help of the manual for startup procedures however I am stuck on a certain part.

After the left engine is started it says to wait for the engine to reach around 18% RPM, however the RPM gauge is not moving. I have re-tried all the steps so the rest of the startup procedure is fine however it is just the rotors that don't seem to be moving much which I think is the RPM, they startup for about 30 seconds then stop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

thanks

Hey,

I've tried the cut-off valve a few seconds after the engine has started, however it does not make a difference in getting the engine RPM higher.

Anything else I should look out for? The rotor break is down (meaning its off) so I don't think that's whats stopping it, and the ANU is also on working fine. Thats the step I've got up to.

thanks

Post your track - In your Temp folder - so we can troubleshoot from there.

Are you utilizing the Check-Lists for Engine start?

• Like 1

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Hey,

I'm just loading the mission "Death Valley" (as I am unsure of any other missions where you start on the ground with nothing loaded up ;) )

I've gone through the check list many times and all are fine up to the left engines getting enough RPM to enable the cut off valves.

Vortex: yes the cut off valves are not enabled as that is the next step once my engine RPM is up

I have had the same problem. Left engin fails to start and I start the right. after witch I get no responce from the left engin. I had to restart mission in new KA-50. Make sure that you get the left engin up and running first.

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

Yep as soon as the RPM indicator hits between 1500 and 2000 RPM then quickly turn on the cut-off valve for the left engine, that will get it up to about 7000 RPM which you then turn the right engine on and also enable the cut-off valve at 2000rpm, once both are up to 7500-8000rpm then press page up twice to enable full throttle.

That's how it works for me, might want to try it :)

Just a quick note, guys, the Engine RPM gauge is measuring percentage, not thousands of RPM, so it's not 1500 or 7000 RPM, but 15% or 70%, etc.

I see this error a lot on in these threads. Guess I'm just used to the RPM gauge from flying the Su-27 so much. :P

It's the same on any gas-turbine engines around the world, RPM is always given in %.

As for the startup RPM- 15-20% gas-generator RPM is when the free wheel drive (clutch) smoothly enables. IRL, when this happens the pilot usualy opens the cut-off valve to allow fuel flow and ingition. Engine startup cycle is 55 sec, bear that in mind. Once the rotor is turning, you don't have to wait that for the second engine start, you can open it's cut off valve before pressing the start button. IRL pilot is looking for oil pressure indication in order to allow fuel flow/ignition in the combustion chamber.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

What do you mean? All planes in LO have engines RPM gauges in %.

There is no gas-turbine engine RPM indication in anything but % anywhere in the world.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

I am probably wrong but the old English pdf manual startup procedure had you open the red fuel levers before starting?

Either way, I've sometimes opened up the red fuel out of order and never had any problems igniting the engine. I figure in real life it prevents flooding or a rough start but the sim doesn't seem to mind.

After re-watching Matt's producer note #1 I got it working :)

Turns out I was waiting too long to enable the cut off valves, seeing how he did it, it was about 3 seconds after the engine had be started up.

Thanks for everyones help

lol, that was my first suggestion :music_whistling: atleast you figured it out, nothing more frustrating when you have no idea what is going wrong.

Just go ahead and do the next step of opening the cut-off valve, it won't harm the engines if you do it before pressing the start button.

Hi,

WRT starting the engines:

* Fuel quantity - CHECK

* Fuel valves - OPEN

* Fuel pumps - ON

* Rotor brake - OFF

* Throttle - LOW IDLE

* Fuel cut-off - OPEN

* Engine starter - SELECT ENGINE

* Starter - ENGAGE

* Parameters - MONITOR

I find I can start either the left or right engines like this, no probs. I usually start #2 first (the right-hand engine).

Best regards,

Tango.

While I'm sure this works, the actual procedure is to open the fuel cut off lever AFTER you have a positive RPM indication on the selected engine.

And the order of starting (as you've seen) does not matter. Although, to be hardcore on the details, you should start the downwind (leeward) engine first.

Well, to make it little easier for new ppl:

To get rotors running:

Right side buttons:

Battery on

Fuel Pumps on (Front+Rear)

Fuel Valves (Engines + APU)

Left side buttons:

Start APU

Rotorbrake off and cutoff open

Start left engine

Start right engine

Done, rotors running. Then proceed shutting apu starting with them electronics and whatever you need, checklists have those, and pretty much all of them are optional :)

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

If you wanna go 100% hardcore you should be aware of one rule that pilots follow IRL- they don't move the engine selector between flights. Lets say you start left engine first then right, you fly and land. The next flight you start right engine first so on. Thus you ensure equal free wheel clutch loading and wear, otherwise the left free wheel clutch will always be the one engaging first.

=RvE=