I Can't Fly the P-51 Because the Cockpit View Spins

Rex

All I get is this:

https://youtu.be/gGsGClxZtIw

I can fly every other plane in DCS, though.

This happens the moment I start the session, and it happens in multiple missions in which I try to start in the air flying the mustang.

When viewed externally, this plane is in relatively level flight (+- 300fpm). It is not, in actuality, spinning. Just the view is.

P.S. I do have TrackIR connected, but it's in standby (both sensor lights are red). Recentering the view, etc, has no effect, and neither does disconnecting the sensor from the USB port.

Edited by Rex

Rex's Rig

Intel i9-14900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 | 64GB DDR5 | 3x4TB 990 Pro M2 SSDs | HP Reverb 2 | 49" Samsung 5120x1440 @ 120Mhz

TM Warthog Stick + Throttle | TM Pendulum Pedals | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR |  Cougar MFD x 2 

• Rex changed the title to I Can't Fly the P-51 Because the Cockpit View Spins

I'm not 100% yet, but I'm abou t99% sure this is being caused by one of my other controllers.  I also have a steering wheel, and looking in the Axis settings, it somehow, someway got randomly mapped to some Axises (sp?), but I'm willing to bet it's the culprit.  My bad.

It was the culprit.  duh. sorry.

Rex's Rig

Intel i9-14900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 | 64GB DDR5 | 3x4TB 990 Pro M2 SSDs | HP Reverb 2 | 49" Samsung 5120x1440 @ 120Mhz

TM Warthog Stick + Throttle | TM Pendulum Pedals | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR |  Cougar MFD x 2 

• Rex changed the title to SOLVED: I Can't Fly the P-51 Because the Cockpit View Spins

You need to check that, a lot of axis get put on the wrong controllers, but are still on the controllers they need to be. I would spawn into the P-51 and it would start doing some crazy snap rolls, my Roll was on the pedals, and the R/P/Y controller box.. Once you get it fixed it should not have anymore problems. I would just go in and clear all the columns of Axis in the settings page, and start setting them up from scratch.

Sempre Fortis

• Rex changed the title to I Can't Fly the P-51 Because the Cockpit View Spins
21 minutes ago, 352nd_Hoss said:

You need to check that, a lot of axis get put on the wrong controllers, but are still on the controllers they need to be. I would spawn into the P-51 and it would start doing some crazy snap rolls, my Roll was on the pedals, and the R/P/Y controller box.. Once you get it fixed it should not have anymore problems. I would just go in and clear all the columns of Axis in the settings page, and start setting them up from scratch.

Actually, I was wrong ... again ... disconnected the wheel, removed all traces from the config, wiped ALL the controls (not just axis).  Worked twice in a row ... assumed it was fixed ... third time ... spin city.   Arg.

Edited by Rex

Rex's Rig

The more items you hook up without first going in to see if the Axis' have made their way to auxiliary controllers or not. I had this problem everytime I hooked up a new piece of equipment. My last one was a analog R/P/Y controller box.  And the BlackHog has six axis' controllers on it too.  Messed me up everytime. And everytime I would pick a new plane I thought I had working correctly..

Glad its sorted now, you will know the next time it happens for sure.

Sempre Fortis

53 minutes ago, Rex said:

Actually, I was wrong ... again ... disconnected the wheel, removed all traces from the config, wiped ALL the controls (not just axis).  Worked twice in a row ... assumed it was fixed ... third time ... spin city.   Arg.

Remember to plug controllers into the same USB ports every time you do so. Switching ports changes port ID number and that can mess up / reset controller settings again.

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

It might be related to some axis double set or the like, but that movement is indeed quite common trackIr not tracking correctly whatever the clip you have. Both camera lights on in red isn't trackIr standing by, is trackIr working but the clip is out of camera or wrongly tracked. Check in the trackIr app the camera, what it's actually seeing, it's usual to have a glare, a light, a window, or whatever alike in your back and that happens.

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

On 6/27/2022 at 9:46 AM, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Both camera lights on in red isn't trackIr standing by, is trackIr working but the clip is out of camera or wrongly tracked.

Negative, it happens because I intentionally press the "pause" shortcut that I have mapped to TrackIR.   It's a standby mode.

image.png

Edited by Rex

Rex's Rig

On 6/26/2022 at 9:16 PM, Art-J said:

Remember to plug controllers into the same USB ports every time you do so. Switching ports changes port ID number and that can mess up / reset controller settings again.

Yep, I haven't moved USB ports for TIR in over a year, and it occurs even when it's unplugged completely.  The strangest thing is this ONLY happens in the Mustang.  I can fly the Jug or the Spitfire, no problem.

In fact, I have found a workaround for the time being.  First, I spawn in a Jug, then I pause, and "change slots" to a Mustang, and I'm good. It flies just fine, and all of the controls work just fine.  It only occurs when I try to spawn in a Mustang from the start of the mission.  Nothing useful in the logs unfortunately.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.  I do appreciate it.

Edited by Rex

Rex's Rig

10 hours ago, Rex said:

Negative, it happens because I intentionally press the "pause" shortcut that I have mapped to TrackIR.   It's a standby mode.

I assumed you weren't paused since you're speaking of troubles, but red lights happens the same when the camera isn't tracking IIRC 🤔.

The problem with that kind of issue is it might be really simple (or not) but speaking from a distance without actually being in front of your computer it's really hard to tell. If you can say any further detail that would probably help.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice