P-47 engine management - a tutorial

Good day all,

I put together this video that goes over engine management in the Jug. It's mostly aimed at those new to the P-47, though has a lot of good info in it for everyone. Hope you all find it helpful :pilotfly:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

Cowl flaps half open, i though they should be full open.

Check 12:00 overheated oil ?? 100 C am i see this right.

In flight keep flaps lever in middle position, this way oil pump has lighter work.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

12 hours ago, grafspee said:

Cowl flaps half open, i though they should be full open.

Check 12:00 overheated oil ?? 100 C am i see this right.

In flight keep flaps lever in middle position, this way oil pump has lighter work.

Correct, half open for takeoff per the manual. I’ve forgotten them before and got the flutter/buffeting from the disrupted airflow. 

Not too sure what happened with the oil there, that was a takeoff from runway spawn on active pause so that is where it was when I jumped in the aircraft. That may need an adjustment from ED for hot takeoff spawns. Came right back down to normal once I got air through the coolers. 

Flap lever should match the flaps position as the hydraulic fluid should circulate once the flaps are full up or down. The neutral setting definitely for intermediate positions. I believe this is an open center hydraulic system, but will dig into that once I look in the manuals later after work 🙂

Edited by Diesel_Thunder

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

Different manuals say conflicting things about cowl flaps on takeoff, but the one more "focused" manual (left image) says to half-close them.

cowl flaps disparity.png

I think it can be left to personal preference and takeoff profile (when weather is not dictating the cooling settings), but in flight you won't need them fully open even in 160 mph climb most of the time, which means less time pushing on the knob to close them after takeoff. And takeoff run itself is short enough to not overheat until airflow is sufficient.

Flaps handle should be set in UP during cockpit check according to both manuals, and neutral position is used to lock flaps in intermediate positions. Not sure about leaving the handle in DOWN position (emergency procedure for hyd. failure says to put lever in neutral after extending flaps, but that's probably to prevent remaining pressure dissipation), but UP is "default".

What i noticed about flaps, when i leave flap handle in lowered position and i drop gear down, flaps will retract abit depends on speed, so once i deploy flaps i move handle in neutral so when i drop gear they wont retract.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Maybe DCS simulates hydraulic pressure drop on gear extension, so less pressure keeping flaps down (if the handle isn't in neutral, flaps aren't locked if I understand it correctly) and air flow pushes them up slightly.

9 hours ago, Aernov said:

Maybe DCS simulates hydraulic pressure drop on gear extension, so less pressure keeping flaps down (if the handle isn't in neutral, flaps aren't locked if I understand it correctly) and air flow pushes them up slightly.

That is what i assumed 😉

so you guys have to manually put the flap lever to the middle position?

In my config I simply mapped flaps down and flaps up and after pressing either button for the required time to extend/retract once I release the button the lever goes in to the middle automatically. And I never had flaps retract due to the air pressure in flight (or at least I didn't notice)...

3 minutes ago, peachmonkey said:

so you guys have to manually put the flap lever to the middle position?

In my config I simply mapped flaps down and flaps up and after pressing either button for the required time to extend/retract once I release the button the lever goes in to the middle automatically. And I never had flaps retract due to the air pressure in flight (or at least I didn't notice)...

I use 2 switch on worthog hotas where switch do not go back, when i push it it stays so i have to move it to neutral position

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1

It's not so much a glass engine. Quite tough when operated within limitations and good procedure. The problem with windmilling the engine was not unique to the Jug, but all radials. As I mentioned in the video, I believe the Jug is the first DCS aircraft that modeled the crankshaft bearing damage. I don't own either variant of the Fw-190 or I-16 to know for certain.

The technology with those engines advanced significantly before and during the War, and the problem with windmilling would have eventually been solved had turbine engines not arrived when they did. Once turbine engines came on the scene, the days of large piston engines were numbered. Nearly every engine manufacturer shifted research and development towards turbojet engines. Piston engines were still made and supported, and plenty of them saw commercial and military service into the 60's and 70's, but little development went to them as compared to turbine engines.

P-47 is a fantastic module, though arguably the most complex with regards to engine management. Not the best dogfighter compared to others, but does make a great attack aircraft.

Edited by Diesel_Thunder
  • Like 1

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

^ I think the problem is not that master bearing failure has been implemented, but that it seems to be happening sooner than it should when there have been period documents posted in other threads indicating that the engine was rated to rev up to about 3050 RPM (IIRC) in emergency situations. We, on the other hand, are stuck with hard-scripted 2750 redline, exceeding of which during windmilling kills the engine in about 12 seconds every time.

By the way, it's the 190 Anton that has the same mechanics implemented, although bearing failures in dives are a non-issue here, because its Kommandogerat decreases RPM together with throttle.

I wouldn't say the engine is made of glass. On the contrary, it's a sturdy beast as long as charge and oil temp limits are kept. One can even get away with overboosting to 72 inches all the way until water tank runs dry... but these temp limits are a pain with all coolers being manually adjusted.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.