Growler WSO

bond672

Sorry for the bizarre question, but I was watching a video on YT of a EF18 Growler, the Wso was in the rear seat, but she wore a HMCS whilst the pilot in the front, had no attatchment.

Any idea why that is? 

Thanks in advance. 

Simon. 

Rear seat can technically look "higher" than the front seat. Since it sits further back, less look-up is required to look at a target. Ofc this is a little more applicable in regards to a turn-fight.

It's also possible the mission parameters only required one HMD, or maybe it's easier to have the WSO control targeting and let the pilot focus on piloting.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

I’ve asked several Rhino and one Growler aircrew about just this topic. In some squadrons there aren’t enough HMCS to go around, so they’re prioritized - it’s perfectly logical to me that an EWO would be prioritized in the Growler. 

In some cases though, the user simply does not want a HMCS for various reasons. 

Yeah...that's when I retired... they're always changing the name of something. Aircraft Intermediate Maintenance Department, AIMD; to the Fleet Readyness Center, or FRC; FRC for what? High ranking Os are always doing that so they can say they did something great on their fitness reports to get promoted. But once they do that you have to reprint all your publications with said changes, and distribute them DoN wide. It was not broke to start with, but let's change it up anyway. Tax payers won't mind. The three Prowler crew were called ECMOs. The guy/gal in the Growler's backseat are just a run of the mill GIB now for the GIF.

CHEERS

Sempre Fortis