Anyone ride around with ATT HOLD on all the time?

Fuggzy

Lately I've been keeping ATT HOLD on all the time.  Do others do this?  Is it unethical or too lazy?  😀  I find that it basically produces a set-n-forget FBW feel with it continually holding attitudes for me.  It doesn't seem to interfere with or fight my inputs, but maybe there's some penalty here that I'm not considering.   

System: Core i9 10980XE @ 4.00GHz -- MB: X299 UD4 Pro -- 32GB RAM -- RTX4070ti -- 1TB Intel NVMe x2 -- Win10 pro

Sure, you can. That's kinda how the Mirage 2000C is set up. Paddle on, maneuver, paddle off. It's not a bad way to fly around. You should notice the breakout force from attitude hold is annoying. Just ripping the stick without paddling is possible but isn't something that's a nice way to fly regularly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fuggzy said:

Lately I've been keeping ATT HOLD on all the time.  Do others do this?  Is it unethical or too lazy?  😀  I find that it basically produces a set-n-forget FBW feel with it continually holding attitudes for me.  It doesn't seem to interfere with or fight my inputs, but maybe there's some penalty here that I'm not considering.   

99% percent of the time I fly as flight lead in our community and I completely abuse both ATT HOLD and ALT HOLD, constantly doing the paddle on, paddle off as mentioned above. 😂 Even though it's fun to actually fly my aircraft, the extra head space the autopilot me with allows me to stay several steps ahead when it comes to communications, navigation, tactics, etc. Also, I practically never use HDG or STRG hold as they have more cons than pros in my opinion.

• Like 2

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

Also, I practically never use HDG or STRG hold as they have more cons than pros in my opinion.

Is there a HDG(Heading) /STRG hold functionality in the Apache now?
I am aware of Alt hold and Att hold.

Sent from my XQ-AT52 using Tapatalk

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

27 minutes ago, Eaglewings said:

Is there a HDG(Heading) /STRG hold functionality in the Apache now?
I am aware of Alt hold and Att hold.

I have no idea. You know you're in the F-16 subforum, right? 😁

• Like 3

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

I have no idea. You know you're in the F-16 subforum, right?
My bad. Apologies fellows. Thought reference was being made to the Apache.

I use the autopilot often when in the viper especially when there is need to setup bomb parameters or use the tgp.

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

On 6/28/2022 at 1:59 AM, Fuggzy said:

Try flying a tight formation like this :wink:

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I do like to use the autopilot when flying around. Mostly ALT HOLD, sometimes with STRG HOLD when I want the jet to fly itself, but the Viper doesn't need those too badly. I turn it off if I'm expecting trouble, though, never use AP in a combat area. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2022 at 8:25 AM, Dragon1-1 said:

I do like to use the autopilot when flying around. Mostly ALT HOLD, sometimes with STRG HOLD when I want the jet to fly itself, but the Viper doesn't need those too badly. I turn it off if I'm expecting trouble, though, never use AP in a combat area. 

Thanks for the reply, it drives in towards the point of my question.  I also *used to* disengage all AP when it was time for crank n bank, but one day I decided to just leave ATT HOLD on, and only ATT HOLD on, from takeoff to landing.  I liked it very much...didn't seem to affect how hard I can turn or the response or anything, except for a slight "notch out" of autopilot hold when initiating stick movement.  But there are super knowledgeable people here (ahem Devs) and I'm just curious if maybe ATT HOLD does limit rates or boundaries or stuff on the edge of the input envelopes.  I can't find a reason not to glue the ATT HOLD switch down, please help.

Ed 1: Oh yeah, like QuiGon said, formation flying might not work so well, agreed.  But like WHOGX5 said, if you're the lead in the formation, ATT HOLD is useful for himself and I reckon the whole formation with him staying AP-steady.

Ed 2: But wait. ATT HOLD does help me when trying to AR, I've tried it. Why would that differ from holding a formation slot?  I assume the problem there is that little "notch out" whatever feel when I move the stick off center, like the AP is disengaging itself to wait for the stick to recenter.  Does that interfere with tiny movements in formation?  It doesn't seem to bother me at all, I notice it but it doesn't screw me up.  Hmm.

Edited by Fuggzy

System: Core i9 10980XE @ 4.00GHz -- MB: X299 UD4 Pro -- 32GB RAM -- RTX4070ti -- 1TB Intel NVMe x2 -- Win10 pro

On 6/28/2022 at 3:24 AM, Frederf said:

Sure, you can. That's kinda how the Mirage 2000C is set up. Paddle on, maneuver, paddle off. It's not a bad way to fly around. You should notice the breakout force from attitude hold is annoying. Just ripping the stick without paddling is possible but isn't something that's a nice way to fly regularly.

I was going to ask the question elswhere then read this. Holding paddle in during yank and bank does not preserve AP setting. For me that is.

Windows 7/10 64bit, Intel i7-4770K 3.9GHZ, 32 GB Ram, Gforce GTX 1080Ti, 11GB GDDR5 Valve Index. Force IPD 63 (for the F-16)

I use attitude hold mostly when I am focused on systems, e.g. programming steerpoints, circling while identifying targets with the TGP. When I am just going from A to B long-distance, I level off somwhere at FL 300/320/340 and use altitude hold, typically with heading hold.

PS: and I hand-fly larger heading changes, because the autopilot isn't smart enough to properly hold the altitude during turns

Edited by Aquorys

• 4 weeks later...

I now leave the ATT HOLD switch on all the time, from startup to shutdown.  I use no other mode of the AP.  I've found no situation or case where I need more AP.  Me Viper flies like true FBW.  If you need to use steerpoint AP whilst also on ATT Hold -- my god man, buy a hammock.  

Edited by Fuggzy
  • Like 1

I only use AP for alt hold and steerpoint in the cruise, otherwise I'm hand-flying all the way! If you have your controls set up properly the aircraft should fly well hands-off anyway as the FBW attempts to maintain zero pitch and roll rate with neutral stick.

Edited by Tiger-II

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."