Triggers help

New to game and mission building I'm trying to do a simple BFM mission to fly with my brother, but the only thing I'd like to add is to have smoke come on whenever one of us gets hit. 

so 

Trigger 1 -> unit hit -> smoke on / Message "Hit" 

Trigger 2 -> time sense flag x - 3 sec -> smoke off

Not sure if I use triggers or scripts for this sort of thing, I can get that to work only once a question is how do I make it loop so we can continue the fight and smoke comes back on with another hit ? any help would be great. 

4 minutes ago, Jeepnaked95 said:

I can get that to work only once a question is how do I make it loop so we can continue the fight and smoke comes back on with another hit ?

The DCS trigger logic is not like a traditional programming language, as it does not have the typical control flow instructions like IF THEN ELSE or DO LOOP.

Instead, the triggers are a linear sequence of sentences, that are executed from first to last sequentially, once per second. Each sentence has two main parts: a condition, and an action. The action gets executed only if the condition is true.

Now, the fun part, is that when a condition is true, the action gets executed, and then the whole trigger is REMOVED from the execution sequence, its action only works the first time the condition is true (which is your current case)  .. this type of trigger, that only are executed once, is the ONCE trigger.

There are other types available, for example the type REPETITIVE ACTION is a trigger that is never removed from the execution sequence, its condition is evaluated once per second, and each time its true, its Action gets executed. 

A third trigger type is the SWITCHED CONDITION, this trigger executes its action each time its condition is evaluated as true, and its previous evaluation was false. This is like a flip flop, the action gets executed the first time the condition is true, if the next second the condition is still true the action will not be executed ... then if at some point its condition should be false, then the trigger is ready to do its action the next time it becomes true.

Finally, the fourth trigger type is MISSION START .. these triggers get evaluated only at the start of the mission, even before you are actually seated at your aircraft .. it is used to setup the mission the way you need at its start.

For your case, you should use either REPETITIVE ACTION or SWITCHED CONDITION, as they are the only triggers that can perform its action more than once.

• Like 3

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

56 minutes ago, Jeepnaked95 said:

New to game and mission building ...

35 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

Finally, the fourth trigger type is MISSION START .. these triggers get evaluated only at the start of the mission, even before you are actually seated at your aircraft .. it is used to setup the mission the way you need at its start.

Good explanation.  And I would just add, if it isn't obvious, that no conditions need to be provided for MISSION START since the mission starting is the condition.

Also, if you don't want to wait a second for a trigger to execute, you can setup event listeners using lua scripting.

• Like 1

Good explanation.  And I would just add, if it isn't obvious, that no conditions need to be provided for MISSION START since the mission starting is the condition.
Also, if you don't want to wait a second for a trigger to execute, you can setup event listeners using lua scripting.

Thanks! I’ve tried a few set ups that I’ve found on here regarding the “loop” setting but I can only trigger the smoke on first hit after that it won’t come back on… as far as the lua scripting I’m still new to that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, Jeepnaked95 said:

Thanks! I’ve tried a few set ups that I’ve found on here regarding the “loop” setting but I can only trigger the smoke on first hit after that it won’t come back on… as far as the lua scripting I’m still new to that!

If you post your mission file here, I'm sure someone would be happy to take a look.

I think you can do this, but it will take some advanced (to me) trigger formatting.  There are events that can be associated with triggers.  Most of the time triggers are created with "NO EVENT" - at least in my missions that's often the case.  BUT, if you associate an event with "ON SHOT", I think you can craft the type of results you're looking for.

image.png

You'll have to play around with the trigger, but I THINK, you establish a Repetitive Action trigger with the ON SHOT event.  Then in your conditions, you have to check to see who was damaged with the UNIT DAMAGED condition.  Once you know who was damaged, you can trigger smoke.  

Its been a while since I've done something like this, so this is all a bit fuzzy to me.  If you post the mission, I am sure others will assist in getting this figured out.

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

I think you can do this, but it will take some advanced (to me) trigger formatting.  There are events that can be associated with triggers.  Most of the time triggers are created with "NO EVENT" - at least in my missions that's often the case.  BUT, if you associate an event with "ON SHOT", I think you can craft the type of results you're looking for.
image.png.073c22695647bee46b981eca7ac4fa32.png
You'll have to play around with the trigger, but I THINK, you establish a Repetitive Action trigger with the ON SHOT event.  Then in your conditions, you have to check to see who was damaged with the UNIT DAMAGED condition.  Once you know who was damaged, you can trigger smoke.  
Its been a while since I've done something like this, so this is all a bit fuzzy to me.  If you post the mission, I am sure others will assist in getting this figured out.

Correct… I’ve tried to play with it a few different ways, I can get it go on and off after a few seconds. Just can’t figure out how to get the trigger to reset and smoke go on again on another hit once’s fight is back on. wonder if it has to do with me having the aircraft place to immortal…

If the aircraft is immortal it will never be "damaged", so make sure you're using the proper condition.  I think it's called UNIT HIT.  If you're using UNIT DAMAGED, it'll never trigger.

Also, there's some great information on ME trigger's here in @Reflected thread.

Edited by Mistermann
  • Like 1

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

23 hours ago, Jeepnaked95 said:

...how do I make it loop so we can continue the fight and smoke comes back on with another hit ?...

You can use this script (copy - Ctrl C - and paste - Ctrl V - in a "do script" action box at mission start :

Spoiler
AllPlaneUnits = {}
function PlanesTable()
for i = 1, 2 do
local allGroups = coalition.getGroups(i, 0)
if #allGroups > 0 then
for j = 1, #allGroups do
local gpUnits = allGroups[j]:getUnits()
if #gpUnits > 0 then
for k = 1, #gpUnits do
table.insert(AllPlaneUnits, gpUnits[k])
end
end
end
end
end
end
PlanesTable()
function Smoke_Off(unit)
SmokeOff = { 
id = 'SMOKE_ON_OFF', 
params = { 
value = false
  } 
}
unit:getController():setCommand(SmokeOff)
trigger.action.ctfColorTag(unit:getName() , 0)
table.insert(AllPlaneUnits, unit)
end
AllEvents = {}
function AllEvents:onEvent(event)
if event.id == world.event.S_EVENT_HIT and event.initiator and event.target then
for i = 1, #AllPlaneUnits do
if event.target == AllPlaneUnits[i] then
table.remove(AllPlaneUnits, i)
SmokeOn = { 
id = 'SMOKE_ON_OFF', 
params = { 
value = true
  } 
}
event.target:getController():setCommand(SmokeOn)
trigger.action.ctfColorTag(event.target:getName() , (event.target:getCoalition() == 1 and 2 or 5))
timer.scheduleFunction(Smoke_Off, event.target, timer.getTime() + 5)
trigger.action.outText((event.target:getPlayerName() and event.target:getPlayerName() or event.target:getTypeName())
..' got hit by '..(event.initiator:getPlayerName() and event.initiator:getPlayerName() or event.initiator:getTypeName()), 5)
end
end
elseif event.id == world.event.S_EVENT_BIRTH then
if event.initiator:getDesc()["category"] == 0 then
table.insert(AllPlaneUnits, event.initiator)
end
end
end
world.addEventHandler(AllEvents)

Also .miz example attached (red AI vs blue AI, plus a client F18)

test-smoke-on-hit-script.miz

Edited by toutenglisse
fix on script
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, toutenglisse said:

You can use this script (copy - Ctrl C - and paste - Ctrl V - in a "do script" action box at mission start :

Hide contents
AllPlaneUnits = {}
function PlanesTable()
for i = 1, 2 do
if #allGroups > 0 then
for j = 1, #allGroups do
if #gpUnits > 0 then
for k = 1, #gpUnits do
end
end
end
end
end
end
PlanesTable()
function Smoke_Off(unit)
SmokeOff = { 
id = 'SMOKE_ON_OFF', 
params = { 
value = false
  } 
}
end
AllEvents = {}
if event.id == world.event.S_EVENT_HIT and event.initiator and event.target then
SmokeOn = { 
id = 'SMOKE_ON_OFF', 
params = { 
value = true
  } 
}
trigger.action.ctfColorTag(event.target:getName() , (event.target:getCoalition() == 0 and 2 or 5))
trigger.action.outText((event.target:getPlayerName() and event.target:getPlayerName() or event.target:getTypeName())
..' got hit by '..(event.initiator:getPlayerName() and event.initiator:getPlayerName() or event.initiator:getTypeName()), 5)
end
end
end
end
end

test-smoke-on-hit-script.miz 10.25 kB · 0 downloads

THANKS!! now does this work for AI Aircraft only or will it work for client aircraft?

2 hours ago, toutenglisse said:

Hide contents
AllPlaneUnits = {}
function PlanesTable()
for i = 1, 2 do
if #allGroups > 0 then
for j = 1, #allGroups do
if #gpUnits > 0 then
for k = 1, #gpUnits do
end
end
end
end
end
end
PlanesTable()
function Smoke_Off(unit)
SmokeOff = { 
id = 'SMOKE_ON_OFF', 
params = { 
value = false
  } 
}
end
AllEvents = {}
SmokeOn = { 
id = 'SMOKE_ON_OFF', 
params = { 
value = true
  } 
}
trigger.action.ctfColorTag(event.target:getName() , (event.target:getCoalition() == 0 and 2 or 5))
end
end
end
end
end

test-smoke-on-hit-script.miz 10.25 kB · 1 download

it works perfectly! is it possible you could give me a quick rundown of what the script means? is there a way to change the color for red air and blue air independently?

2 hours ago, Jeepnaked95 said:

it works perfectly! is it possible you could give me a quick rundown of what the script means? is there a way to change the color for red air and blue air independently?

Line 41 ( event.target:getController():setCommand(SmokeOn) ) activates smoke from smoke pod. Color is set by the pod you mount on plane. It only seems to work for AI I don't know why (for client / player, smoke pod can only be activated with a keypress. Trigger or script don't work). So I also added next line.

Line 42 ( trigger.action.ctfColorTag(event.target:getName() , (event.target:getCoalition() == 1 and 2 or 5)) ) activates smoke without pod, by default comes from exhaust. It's set like this : "2" (red smoke) for coalition "1" (red), and "5" (blue smoke) for other coalitions (blue or neutral). Color numbers are described here DCS func ctfColorTag - DCS World Wiki - Hoggitworld.com

(I corrected the script in previous post because I wrote 0 instead of 1 for red coalition - 0 is neutral)

The script makes a table of planes at mission start, and does add to table planes when they eventually spawn later (AI or client/player). When one of them is hit it does activate the smokes for 5 seconds, with a message giving plane types (or player names). During the 5 seconds the target is removed from table and added again after to detect further hits.

Edited by toutenglisse

Line 41 ( event.target:getController():setCommand(SmokeOn) ) activates smoke from smoke pod. Color is set by the pod you mount on plane. It only seems to work for AI I don't know why (for client / player, smoke pod can only be activated with a keypress. Trigger or script don't work). So I also added next line.
Line 42 ( trigger.action.ctfColorTag(event.target:getName() , (event.target:getCoalition() == 1 and 2 or 5)) ) activates smoke without pod, by default comes from exhaust. It's set like this : "2" (red smoke) for coalition "1" (red), and "5" (blue smoke) for other coalitions (blue or neutral). Color numbers are described here : DCS func ctfColorTag - DCS World Wiki - Hoggitworld.com
(I corrected the script in previous post because I wrote 0 instead of 1 for red coalition - 0 is neutral)
The script makes a table of planes at mission start, and does add to table planes when they eventually spawn later (AI or client/player). When one of them is hit it does activate the smokes for 5 seconds, with a message giving plane types (or player names). During the 5 seconds the target is removed from table and added again after to detect further hits.

Thanks! Very helpful I’m new to this so trying to learn is very interesting