Is SAM vs. SAM a thing in RW SEAD?

DmitriKozlowsky

We can shoot down SAMs with SAMs in DCS. NASSAMS is particularly effective against Buk(SA-11), and Patriot intercepts S-300, in DCS. The reverse is also likely. Maybe. If you can't go after radars, go after incoming munitions.

Is that a RW SEAD application? Have strike package fly under cover of friendly SAMs that shoot down enemy SAMs. Super useful for CAS missions along FLOT. The tactic seems effective with destroyers, cruisers, and frigates.

IRL, you typically don't have big SAMs on both sides with overlapping WEZ like that. This would put both sites within the other side's artillery range, negating the need for SEAD/DEAD against that particular site. Just flatten it with an artillery strike. Air missions against enemy air defenses are risky, and if another way is available that involves less risk, such as artillery fire mission or a special forces raid, it would be the preferred solution.

• Like 2

I think he meant whether SAM sites might start shooting each other's missiles down, which is a different question. Using a SAM site as artillery seems like a waste, but I suppose it could be done if it really had to. Another reason not to put SAMs close enough together that they can take out each other's missiles.

As far as in essence, it's possible, I mean some are designed specifically with shooting other munitions down as an option (TOR for example, also Patriot and S-300+) many of which are high speed. It's just not something that occurs often. As far as SAMs intercepting SAMs fired at a strike package, the time/distance involved would make this impractical unless on a very local scale that circumstances just happened to line up to make it possible. What would probably be more feasible would be the strike package itself shooting down incoming missiles, provided they detected them early enough to do so.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2