Radio compass is hard to use

brucewhf

Mannual says the Remote Radio Compass on P-51 won't jump around when maneuvering, but it's not true. I have to keep my aircraft absolutely stable in order to get correct reading, otherwise  the needdle will keep moving and the result is unreliable. Unfortunately keeping a warbird stable is not an easy job. So what is the correct way to use this compass?

Don't quote me on anything below, but:

1. It's not a radio compass, but a "normal" magnetic one. Isn't it?
2. You're right about the manual, it reads as follows (page 70):

This type of compass doesn’t float around and fluctuate when the aircraft is maneuvered. This provides all of the advantages of the directional gyro without the precessions.

I wasn't even aware it was supposed to work like that! I wonder whether this is a mistake in the manual or in the simulation. German compass repeaters get stuck beautifully, you never know where you're going 😉 I mean... it's the compass that gets stuck, the repeater on the instrument panel only reflects that fact.
Was RL Pony any better in this regard? No idea. I doubt it, but don't really know.

3. Regardless, I just look at the DG when maneuvering, then cross-check with the magnetic compass when straight and level again.

Edited by scoobie

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box