Problem with HP reverb G2 / GPU?

Hey guys,

For the last couple of days I've been running into a weird problem and I thought I'd ask if someone may have some idea what might be going on. 

First of, my system specs (from the shop where I bought the PC a few months ago). I am using a HP Reverb G2.

Recently I've had occasional problems with my HP Reverb not being detected properly in the WMR portal (an error pops up talking about the connection problem). Usually plugging the USB out and then back in helped. 

However, then I started getting black screen in my Reverb when playing (the sound and everything else works OK) - but the weird thing that each time also my main screen goes dark and into the standby mode, saying there is no signal. 

And yesterday when I wasn't using the VR, the same happened - the screen suddenly lost signal. Nothing helps (unplugging and plugging back the DP cable) - only resetting the PC. Once I reset it, everything works well.

I checked the GPU temperature and it is in the green almost all the time. Also what is puzzling is the fact that the restart seems to fix the problem every time, which makes me think it may be software related. 

Any ideas what to check / what could be the issue most welcome. 

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

My initial thought is the HP cable but that wouldn't explain the monitor screen losing connection when not using VR.

FWIW I get the odd fail to connect and not able to run at 90Hz message with my G1, unplugging and replugging the cable always fixes it, It happens once in a while and seems to be just one of those things!

I have got through four G1s and a replacement cable under a two year warranty so I hope the G2 is more reliable.

Regarding the monitor losing connection and needing a reset that sounds more like a PC freeze which could a number of things, temps, bad memory stick, drivers, bios needs updating and so on. Of course it maybe related to the issues with VR if it only happens with the G2 connected?

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Yes, so far only with G2 connected. Will test some more. I also suspect the cable, especially since there are connection problems every now and then there... I'll continue to troubleshoot, in the meantime any additional ideas would be most welcome!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

2 hours ago, Rebel28 said:

Some motherboards can not supply enough power through the USB port for the headset display. Using a powered USB HUB will correct this problem.

The G2 has its own power supply though, unlike the G1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

On 6/28/2022 at 10:46 AM, baltic_dragon said:

Hey guys,

For the last couple of days I've been running into a weird problem and I thought I'd ask if someone may have some idea what might be going on. 

First of, my system specs (from the shop where I bought the PC a few months ago). I am using a HP Reverb G2.

Recently I've had occasional problems with my HP Reverb not being detected properly in the WMR portal (an error pops up talking about the connection problem). Usually plugging the USB out and then back in helped. 

However, then I started getting black screen in my Reverb when playing (the sound and everything else works OK) - but the weird thing that each time also my main screen goes dark and into the standby mode, saying there is no signal. 

And yesterday when I wasn't using the VR, the same happened - the screen suddenly lost signal. Nothing helps (unplugging and plugging back the DP cable) - only resetting the PC. Once I reset it, everything works well.

I checked the GPU temperature and it is in the green almost all the time. Also what is puzzling is the fact that the restart seems to fix the problem every time, which makes me think it may be software related. 

Any ideas what to check / what could be the issue most welcome. 

Hello, which HP G2 Cable do you have?

I use to have the first version, the one without an ON/OFF little push button on the HP little square box, I got several troubles with the Reverb, open a ticket to replace the cable with HP, they first try to change only the power supply (the cable was mine same old one plug and little square box), but still no joy, same troubles.

At the end they send me the new cable so everything was back to normal.

On this new cable there is a little button (on a little bit bigger square box) to power on/off the G2 without unplugging the usb cable, I don't know if my explanation make sense.

The HP customer care was sceptic to send me the new cable on the first ticket, as they state the troubles with the old one were expected to be only on AMD processors, and I'm on INTEL, but reasonably they were pretty much wrong.

Edited by pokeraccio