Stuck at 10% for ever!

NITTO
Go to solution Solved by Flappie,

Hey guys, Hope everyone is doing well!

So this is what happened with me. I was editing a mission file on the mission editor and was adding a "kneeboard" file to a specific mission. The way I was doing this was by accessing the .miz file and adding in the 'KNEEBOARD/IMAGES' folders and placing a .PNG image. The game crashed (black screen) and ever since that point whenever I try to start DCS it freezes at the initial screen ( the one with clouds) at 10% loading.

The loading does not progress and I eventually need to shut it down using the task manager. I have checked the logs and the following error shows up;

Dispatcher: Error starting Game GUI: [string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_quickstart.lua"]:12: module 'me_mission' not found:

The latest log file has been attached. 

I tried fixing the problem by deleting the 'me_mission' file as this was the one which was showing up in the logs initially but this didn't fix the issue. 

This is not the first time this has happened to me, It happened a few weeks back as well and I had to reinstall everything from scratch. The error / crash happened during working in the mission editor as well. 

I hope there's an easy solution for this! Don't want to go through reinstalling everything again. :(

Thanks for all the help guys & and fly safe! 

dcs.log

4 minutes ago, NITTO said:

So this is what happened with me. I was editing a mission file on the mission editor and was adding a "kneeboard" file to a specific mission. The way I was doing this was by accessing the .miz file and adding in the 'KNEEBOARD/IMAGES' folders and placing a .PNG image. The game crashed (black screen) and ever since that point whenever I try to start DCS it freezes at the initial screen ( the one with clouds) at 10% loading.

You mean you manually modified a .miz while it was open in the mission editor?

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

OK. If you still have the .miz file that crashed DCS, please attach it here.

Now, let's get you out of trouble. Please try these steps:

1. Delete any "DCS..." folders you can find in "C:\Users\your_login\AppData\Local\Temp\". Then try to run DCS.
  2. Go to "Saved Games" and rename your "DCS.openbeta" folder to "DCS.openbeta_backup" (do not delete it). Then try to run DCS.
  3. Run a "slow" DCS repair.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Flappie said:

You mean you manually modified a .miz while it was open in the mission editor?

Flappie, Here you go. 

I have the .miz file under question but it's larger than 5mb's, is there any other way I can send it to you?  Meanwhile I'll try out the steps you've mentioned above. 

Nitto 

Flappie, 

Ok, so deleting the folders from the temp folders and renaming the DCS.Openbeta folder didn't work. Trying out a slow repair. Give me you email Id so i can send you the .miz file. 

Nitto.

2 hours ago, NITTO said:

Give me you email Id so i can send you the .miz file.

You can send it to me in a private message. Click my nickname, then click the orange "Message" icon.

I'm thinking maybe your antivirus got triggered by the .miz file and then thinks DCS is a virus. Please add this path as an exception to your antivirus: H:\DCS World OpenBeta\

Edited by Flappie
  • Like 1

Now that I got the mission, I was able to reproduce the initial black screen. This is what happened:

1. I started the mission from the Mission Editor
  2. I jumped in the 'TOMCATS' slot and checked my kneeboard: the picture was nowhere to be found.
  3. I then exited the mission, and... black screen. Only the SRS alyout was showing up. I was sttill able to hide and show it.
  4. I had to force DCS to close (Alt + F4).

I checked my log and here's how it ended:

2022-06-28 15:43:46.915 INFO    VISUALIZER: TerrainRenderer::release
2022-06-28 15:43:46.919 WARNING LOG: 1 duplicate message(s) skipped.
2022-06-28 15:43:46.919 ERROR   Lua::Config: Call error onShowMainInterface:[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_mission.lua"]:7103: bad argument #1 to 'assert' (value expected)
stack traceback:
	[C]: ?
	[C]: in function 'assert'
	[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_mission.lua"]:7103: in function 'eraseFolder'
	[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_mission.lua"]:7118: in function 'clearTempFolder'
	[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_mission.lua"]:1727: in function 'load'
	[string "./MissionEditor/MissionEditor.lua"]:581: in function 'prepareMissionPath'
	[string "./MissionEditor/MissionEditor.lua"]:714: in function <[string "./MissionEditor/MissionEditor.lua"]:710>.
2022-06-28 15:44:49.498 ERROR   SOUND: render time = 0.808396s exceeded allowed slice of 0.022000s
2022-06-28 15:44:49.498 ERROR   SOUND: render time = 0.808412s exceeded allowed slice of 0.022000s

And now my PC is in the exact same situation than yours! 😅

But that's good news for you: I'll do anything to get me out of trouble! I'll be back when I have the solution.

This is the error blocking my DCS:

2022-06-28 15:49:18.154 ALERT   Dispatcher: Error starting Game GUI: [string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_mission.lua"]:7103: bad argument #1 to 'assert' (value expected)

Guess what? The game tries to cleanup the "Temp/DCS..." folder but seems to be unable to do so. Here's where the game is stuck:

function clearTempFolder()
    local function eraseFolder(folder)
        for file in lfs.dir(folder) do
            --print(file)
            local a = base.assert(lfs.attributes(folder .. file))
			local isFolderLink = (file == '.') or (file == '..')

if (a.mode == 'directory') and  not isFolderLink then
                --print('erasing folder', folder .. file .. '/')
                eraseFolder(folder .. file .. '/')
			end

if not isFolderLink then
				--print('erasing file', folder .. file)
				base.os.remove(folder .. file)
			end
        end
    end;

Edited by Flappie
  • Like 1

Windows cannot find the "Temp/DCS..../Mission/Kneeboard/Images" folder although it looks as if it is present. I rebooted my PC but it does not change anything.

Yet I'm able to delete the .png it contains.

Edited by Flappie
  • Like 1

I think I know what caused all this trouble: your kneeboard folder names contain a space in the end: "KNEEBOARD " and "IMAGES "

I'll try this: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/WINDOWS/en-US/be3fe04d-e725-4199-828c-30eef70fcf95/unable-to-delete-folder-could-not-find-this-item?forum=winserver8gen

Edited by Flappie
  • Like 1

I don't see any other explanation. But we'll work on this once we fix our PCs. I tried the CMD line in the link above but it didn't work on my end:

rd /s "\\?\C:\Users\your_login\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS\Mission"

Admin rights don't help.

• Like 1

• Solution

Wow, this actually worked:

After failing all normal, Command Prompt, and PowerShell options, I got the problem solved by a small trick.

1. Get some program which reads and makes compressed files. I used 7-Zip, WinRar will probably work too.

2. Right click the bad file and click Add to Archives. Then in the options select to delete original file after compression.

3. Leave other options same and proceed. Bad file will be deleted and a compressed file will be created in its place.

4. The problematic naming structure changes with addition of extension (.zip .rar .7zp etc) and can be deleted.

24 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

Try to delete the bad folder first i.e. the full path to "KNEEBOARD "

I initially did, but Windows told me it didn't existed. 😅

@Flappieok, so I tried the 'winRAR' method. It didn't work for me. Can you guide me through the steps. Not sure why it isn't working for me. 

24 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Bug confirmed. I'll report this.

@NITTO Many thanks for helping me finding this bug!

No no Sir...Thank you! for all the help, YOU ARE AMAZING! 

Still having the same problem 😕

@Flappie I compressed and deleted the mission file, still facing the same issue. Were you able to find a reliable fix to the problem?

I've attached the most recent log file for your reference. Also, I'm I supposed to delete the openbeta_backup folder?

dcs.log

Here's a step-by-tep guide of what worked for me:

• Download the 7-zip installer here (first "Download" link on top of the page)
  • Run the installer, click "Install", then "Close".
  • Press the Windows key, and type "7-zip", then run "7-Zip File Manager".
  • In the address bar, browse to "C:\Users\your_login\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\".

1.png

You should now see the content of your temp DCS.openbeta folder:

• Click the "Mission" folder to select it (as seen above).
  • Click the big green " + " button.
  • Check "Delete files after compression" (VERY IMPORTANT STEP).

2.png

• Click OK.

It should then creae a "Mission.zip" file, and most importantly, it should delete the "Mission" folder : problem solved.

You can now remove the unuseful "Mission.zip" file.

Edited by Flappie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NITTO said:

Also, I'm I supposed to delete the openbeta_backup folder?

No, please dont! It contains your custom bindings and your solo progress.

The error you have in your latest log is still related to the Temp folder.